Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   Speedometer cutting on and off (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/557091-speedometer-cutting-on-and-off.html)

ednigma 08-30-2010 09:17 PM

Speedometer cutting on and off

While out riding my 01 Wide Glide this weekend, my speedometer started acting wierd. While under acceleration or riding conditions it doesnt work, but when I pull in the clutch, break, or stop, it works. Also while under acceleration the the speedo would stop working, the engine light would come on and the odometer would flash rapidly for a few seconds. But when I stop, the engine light would turn off and the speedo and odo would work. I tried running a diagnostic check but all I get are these displayed on the odometer:
d01CLr
d02CLr
d03CLr
d04CLr
d05CLr
d06CLr
d07CLr
d08CLr
d09CLr
d10CLr
PPU
then a number starting with 84,???. I cant remember the last three digits.
the bike runs fine I road over 50 miles to get home with the problem but I dont want to ride it again until I know what is wrong.
I appreciate any input.
thanks "E"

ratt196635 08-30-2010 09:20 PM

I would start looking for a loose connection. Maybe where the speedo wire connects to the speedo

ednigma 08-30-2010 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by ratt196635 (Post 7219167)
I would start looking for a loose connection. Maybe where the speedo wire connects to the speedo

I have checked the connections under the gauge and I pulled the speedo sending unit and cleaned it.

skidsareforkids 08-30-2010 11:21 PM

Service manual says for a intermittant speedo to remove the speed sensor, clean it and reinstall.

KBFXDLI 08-30-2010 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by skidsareforkids (Post 7219606)
Service manual says for a intermittant speedo to remove the speed sensor, clean it and reinstall.

+1 Speed sensor needs cleaning or replacement

Lincoln33 08-31-2010 12:17 AM

When my speed sensor went out on my RK it had similar symptoms. I tried cleaning it but ended up replacing it, $60.

ednigma 09-03-2010 08:49 PM

well I replaced the speed sensor. That did not fix the problem so I did another diagnostic. Found code d02set and d08set which told me that my charging system was the problem. did some research and checked into my voltage regulator and (BINGO!) (Bobs your uncle) that was the problem. It wasnt regulating the voltage, so everytime I rolled on the accelerator the breaker would trip shutting off my speedo. New regulator installed and problem fixed. Thanks for the input everyone.

dieselbeef 04-25-2022 08:07 AM

wow..id never have thought that....

DustyRoads 11-07-2022 11:18 AM

99 FXSTB Nigh Train Speedometer

Originally Posted by ednigma (Post 7237806)
well I replaced the speed sensor. That did not fix the problem so I did another diagnostic. Found code d02set and d08set which told me that my charging system was the problem. did some research and checked into my voltage regulator and (BINGO!) (Bobs your uncle) that was the problem. It wasnt regulating the voltage, so everytime I rolled on the accelerator the breaker would trip shutting off my speedo. New regulator installed and problem fixed. Thanks for the input everyone.

Speedometer and Odometer was cutting out when the motor revved.
I was about to start chasing wires but stumbled across this old post.
This post saved me a ton of trouble shooting time!
Swapped out the voltage regulator...problem fixed.
Thought I'd share it since I didn't find much about it when I was doing some research.

1madmouse 09-12-2023 11:09 PM

I had my 2000FXD speedometer go wonky last year, odometer going all crazy and no speedometer. Was the regulator, replaced it and all good until this morning. guess they don't last very long.