Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 Fat Bob & Vance and Hines Short Shots Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 10:56 PM
Belvis
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Fat Bob & Vance and Hines Short Shots Question

2009 Fat Bob rider

I am getting ready to put on my Vance and Hines short shots staggered, screaming eagle heavy Breather, and Vance and Hines fuel pack...

I heard something about less performance out of the short shots. Is that true? Or will the fuel pack and heavy breather help with the performance?

I am new to this so any information you can offer would be great.

Peace!

Old 08-31-2010, 12:02 AM
fox2boost
Intermediate

I hope not I'm about to put the same setup with the Harley pro tuner. Please someone chime in

Old 09-02-2010, 01:52 AM
Tom_M
Intermediate

I have almost the same setup on my 09 FB, except I have side shots they are just as short but have the power chamber to help with scavenging. My initial setup was the side shots, SE heavy breather and the dealer stage 1 re flash. The bike sounded good but if it actually ran any better I couldn't tell with the sound diff and all. I added a PC-V from fuel moto w one of their maps and WOW! The bike woke up and gave me the performance I was initially expecting from my stage1. I'm sure the Fuel Pack will give you the same result. I thought about the 2 into 1 for the better performance but the look didn't' suit the direction I want to take my bike.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:24 AM
rocket23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,608 Likes on 2,863 Posts

I have the heavy breather se stage 2 exhaust with a pro se tune. All I know is when i get out of dodge, I burn rubber!!

Last edited by rocket23; 09-02-2010 at 06:28 AM.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:29 AM
jones654
Intermediate

I spoke with a buddy of mine, harley mechanic, about switching from my straight shots to short shots. He advised that if I do that then I will lose maybe 1 horsepower and maybe 2 lbs of torque. I asked him about me putting the big breather on it would it gain it back. He advised that it will bring my horsepower and lbs back up and especially if I put a programmer on it. So to answer your question...I think the short shots will lose a little bit if you already have an aftermarket exhaust. If you have stock then you will see a difference in it. I'm not worried about one or two horsepower out of exhaust. I start worrying if all my extra's cause horsepower and torque loss. Take care man. Hopefully this will help you out.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:31 AM
jones654
Intermediate

I meant to say you will see a horsepower and torque jump especially if you are all stock.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:45 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Adding a fueler or tuner is a more cost effective way to gain power than exhaust or intake mods. Intake and exhaust mods on the HD are more style vs street function.

There is such a small difference in exhaust system performance, just buy one for style and sound. None is significantly better than another. They will all be a disadvantage in one performance area or another and advantage in another compared to stock, but you won't notice.

Short shots hurt low end torque but help with high rpm HP and will likely decel pop.

Free flow AF will help high rpm HP (4000 rpm plus) but otherwise is not noticeable. You need to spend at least $600 for a dual ram type air filter to notice any difference between the free flows, so again its a style issue.

The improvement with the Fuel Pack will more than make up for any exhaust losses and also help out top end power.

But, if you want to get the most performance and best drivability for your buck out of that set up think about a TTS tuning kit. Any name brand tuner will give you wow power over stock with or without HD downloads. The tuning kit gets you not only wow power, but much improved driveability in terms of smoothness, throttle response, idle, heat.... mpg... .

Old 09-02-2010, 08:41 AM
Belvis
Stage III

Thanks everyone for all your input. It definately makes me feel tons better with my purchase. I will let you know when I make the change and update as to any gain or loss in torque and HP. thanks again.

Ride Hard... Don't forget your pants!

Old 09-02-2010, 10:53 AM
fr4nkx
Stage I

Hi, I've put V&H short shots staggered on a 09 FXDC and rode it without any other modification: no noticeable difference in performance... a bit more power on high rpm but a LOT of pops in decel. After a week I've put on fuelpack and a K&N filter kit: a LOT more power in high, no noticeable loss in low, the erogation is very fluid and enjoyable and no more pops. definitely very good.

Hope it helps.
Hi

Francesco

Old 09-02-2010, 02:55 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

06 StreetBob Short shots staggered NO Baffles/Fuelpak/Arlen Ness intake = Screamin Top End

If you want that exhaust to suck real bad just add baffles.

Quick Reply: 2009 Fat Bob & Vance and Hines Short Shots Question