Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Lever Releasing Too High???

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 06:20 PM
lhgdale
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Clutch Lever Releasing Too High???

Hello, I recently adjusted the clutch on my 10 wide glide per the service manual while I was changing my primary fluid. Following the service manual my clutch releases really high in the lever action. I personally like mine to release mid way in the lever release. I was able to get it pretty close to my liking by adding a little slack to the clutch cable.

My question is, is there anyway to get the clutch in the sweet spot without having slack in the cable? Or should I just get used to it releasing higher?

Thanks for the info and help.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:26 PM
pcbunn
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the same with mine, added about 1/8 to 3/16th of slack so it engages just prior to midway. Clutch feels fully engaged and disengages enough as far as I'm concerned to not wear the plates. I hated the way the service manual left the engagement so I just changed it like you did.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:31 PM
2TallGlider
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The manual gives you a range you can use to back out the adjusting bolt once you have reached the initial friction point (I think it's a half to a full turn out). Try changing how much you back out within that range and see if that helps.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:40 PM
lhgdale
Outstanding HDF Member

Ok, I will try that next time i have the primary cover off. I'm glad to hear I am not the only. Thanks

Would I loosen the nut more or less the get the clutch to release midway on the lever?

Old 09-28-2010, 09:56 PM
blacknsilver
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

You back it out a half turn after contact. Make sure you adjust while it is not hot also. Here is a good video also.

http://www.ehow.com/video_2330184_ad...utch-pack.html
http://www.ehow.com/video_2330185_ad...tch-cable.html

Old 09-29-2010, 03:49 PM
lhgdale
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks blacknsilver, I used the service manual and those videos to adjust my clutch. If it takes a little slack in the cable to get it to release where I want, I guess I'll just live with it. Thanks

Old 09-30-2010, 08:33 AM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My concern would be that the clutch adjustment inside the primary is not correct. Just because the clutch lever is all the way out doesn't mean the clutch pak is engaging correctly or fully.

When I did my fluid changes I thought, maybe, I should have adjusted the actual clutch because it felt to me like I wasn't getting enough initial engagement. I rode it for a few miles and it came back. Plenty of lever now.

My clutch will 'catch' slightly about a half to 3/4 inch from the grip, then it is fully engaged about a half to 3/4 inch from full release.

I'd check it and if it's not 'catching' at about one-third release or before, I'd go ahead and adjust the clutch pak.

My measurements are probably off. I've been riding and driving standard transmissions for a long, long time and I can tell when a clutch isn't engaging properly. I'm sure you can too. If it ain't right, adjust it.

Clutches slip. They slip ALL the time. Not just on start up or between shifts. I'm talking ALL, 100% of the time. The thing is, how MUCH are they slipping. Too much is bad for the clutch. Too little is bad for the rest of the drivetrain. Especially the tranny.

Just my $.02 and just my opinion. Good luck.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:42 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

If you leave your clutch loose on the adjustment make sure you adjust it more frequently or you will wear it out faster. I do mine to the book so it fully engages/disengages and I don't have to adjust it much. But when it begins to feel a little drag when I take off from a stop I know it is time for primary oil & an adjustment.