Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Washed my bike today then it was backfiring and coughing

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 09:15 PM
lpstudio
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Washed my bike today then it was backfiring and coughing

So after washing my bike I let it sit for about an hour then decided to show it off lol. I ran good for a few blocks then started to misfire and backfire but would idle just fine. I noticed at the same time my speedo would drop to zero and my engine light would be on. On my way back home it seemed to sort itself out. I figure it was water in a connection somewhere but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas where to start. I have an 04 superglide that is carbureted.

Thanks

Old 10-11-2010, 09:27 PM
INADAZE
Cruiser

My first thought would be under the seat where the ECU and wires meet.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:28 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Another favorite spot is in the handlebar switches.

Just squirt WD40 everywhere you see a connector plus in the handlebar switches, on the ECU connectors, the fuses, the coil, the plugs and plug leads.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:39 AM
AZFXDB
Banned

Originally Posted by Foxster
Another favorite spot is in the handlebar switches.

Just squirt WD40 everywhere you see a connector plus in the handlebar switches, on the ECU connectors, the fuses, the coil, the plugs and plug leads.
bad idea, wd-40 is a lubricant, not a dielectric. small amount of vaseline in the connectors would work however. I wouldnt recommend it as its gonna attract loads of dust to the connectors. best thing to do is avoid spraying connectors with water

Old 10-12-2010, 01:45 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by AZFXDB
bad idea, wd-40 is a lubricant, not a dielectric. small amount of vaseline in the connectors would work however. I wouldnt recommend it as its gonna attract loads of dust to the connectors. best thing to do is avoid spraying connectors with water
Well I gotta disagree with you.

This is exactly what WD40 is for - to displace and repel moisture. Unless you plan to dismantle every connector and apply vaseline to all the pins then WD40 is the only way you are going to waterproof your electrics.

Trust me, I have been using it on bikes for years and years and its a god-send. Its fixed mine and friends' bikes upteem times after wet rallies.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:47 AM
nigelgeast
Road Captain

This is exactly what WD40 is for - to displace and repel moisture. Unless you plan to dismantle every connector and apply vaseline to all the pins then WD40 is the only way you are going to waterproof your electrics.

Trust me, I have been using it on bikes for years and years and its a god-send. Its fixed mine and friends' bikes upteem times after wet rallies.
What he said.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:08 AM
AZFXDB
Banned

Originally Posted by nigelgeast
What he said.
WD40 is not a DIELECTRIC. use it on your bike if you want, but its a lubricant.

Last edited by AZFXDB; 10-12-2010 at 07:11 AM.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:25 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Use small amounts of dielectric grease inside the connectors, save the Vaseline for when your working on carpal tunnel.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:10 AM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by AZFXDB
WD40 is not a DIELECTRIC. use it on your bike if you want, but its a lubricant.
While its not a dielectric - neither is it a lubricant. The WD stands for water dispersant and the 40 is the 40th try at creating the product. See for yourself. That said, I still wouldn't go spraying it on everything, it attracts dirt and other crap.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:35 AM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Back in the day, before DIS (distributorless ignition system) became commonplace, we used to carry WD40 in our cars and trucks down here. Down here, when it rains, it REALLY rains. And in those days most of the 'roads' down here were just cow paths that had been paved over. Not at all unusual for a foot of water to accumulate in a road. Easy. Hit a foot of standing water @ 30 MPH with an old style electrical system and it's usually gonna die on you.

Even for people that knew better, it was easy for standing water to sneak up on you and drown out your ignition system. Kill it. Get out, pop the distributor cap, spray it with WD40, spray the plug wires, the coil and whatever else you were in the mood to squirt. Give it a minute and fire it up. Then drive away a little more cautiously this time.

Even the Cops carried it in their cars. They'd come across a car that had died in the middle of the road and they couldn't just leave it there or call a tow truck every time somebody drove through a puddle of water. They'd jump out in their boots and rain slicks, spray the electrics, engine compartment, etc, call the driver a numbskull and send him on his/her way.

I don't know why WD40 works for displacing water but -- It does. Maybe we shouldn't have used it -- But we did.

Quick Reply: Washed my bike today then it was backfiring and coughing