Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Service vs Independent Service guy

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 08:45 PM
doc1972
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Harley Service vs Independent Service guy

My street bob is due for it`s 10k service. My question is, Harley dealership wants $ 400.00 vs an independent guy who wants $290.00.
Now Harley says it`s a 2+ hour service time and the independent guy say it`s no less than 5 hours to do all. Sooo, who is right and who is full of ****??

Old 02-02-2010, 11:24 PM
yso191
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As long as you can document your service, your warranty is still in effect. I'd go with the indy. Especially if you don't have a good relationship with the dealer.

Steve

Old 02-02-2010, 11:50 PM
fryejs
Intermediate

everybody works at their pace...harley has a book price/hours they are allowed to charge (flat rate) and the independant guy probably works his own pace but for half the price/per hour...keep the reciepts and sign off on your manual for the service.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:13 AM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have read posts on the different forums where techs have said their dealer does not perform each item on the scheduled maintenance list, just the major items. I don't know how wide spead this practice is.

I tend to agree with thorough maintenance taking closer to five hours.

I also maintain my own bike so I don't have to wonder what was skipped, or missed.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:13 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I've heard tales of both dealers and independents cutting corners! Your owners manual describes what is required of a service, which is the minimum either should do. A good tech will keep an eye open for other things, even have a few extra checks he makes based on experience.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:28 AM
Pa-Rider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took my bike to the dealer last year for the 1000 mile service, partly because it was fairly inexpensive, mostly because I didn't have a jack. Now I have the jack, I won't be doing that again. Not to mention, I'll feel a bit more comfortable knowing what was done and not done - and I can use the extra $$$ on the bike.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:28 AM
red devil
Outstanding HDF Member

Save your money and buy a manual! Change engine/tranny/primary oils, check & adjust and lube all cables, check & adjust belt, inspect brakes-rotors/pads & fluid, tires/air pressure, lube jiffy stand, check motor mounts & all other critical nuts/bolts, check head bearings. About 1-1 1/2hrs and total cost for supplies including manual around $100, and gaining confidence in doing your own work, plus saving atleast $200....PRICELESS!

Old 02-03-2010, 08:28 AM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

+1 on doing it yourself, lots of positives going that route.

however, if you've gotta take it in, i'd go to the indy.

like someone mentioned, HD has set times that each job is supposed to take, so if you bring it in you're getting a tech that's going to spend X amount of time on your bike, rather than an indy who's more likely to do what needs to be done, regardless of time.

i trust my local indy to treat my bike like he does his own, whereas i expect moco to treat it like just another customer's bike.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:41 AM
v2in
Tourer

Make sure that the "IndY" has insurance. Just in case something should happen while he has your bike in his shop. + 1 for using the Indy.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:47 AM
CraigsStreetbob
Cruiser

Originally Posted by toastman
+1 on doing it yourself, lots of positives going that route.

however, if you've gotta take it in, i'd go to the indy.

like someone mentioned, HD has set times that each job is supposed to take, so if you bring it in you're getting a tech that's going to spend X amount of time on your bike, rather than an indy who's more likely to do what needs to be done, regardless of time.

i trust my local indy to treat my bike like he does his own, whereas i expect moco to treat it like just another customer's bike.
Which Indy do you use ? I am located in Nassau and looking for an Indy. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Harley Service vs Independent Service guy