Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I've got the Memphis Shades Batwing on my 2009 FXDC

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 05:45 PM
Mike Horrell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Arrow I've got the Memphis Shades Batwing on my 2009 FXDC

Now that the snow is gone, I was able to get out on the bike to try out the conversion from a windshield to a “Batwing”
fairing from a company called “Memphis Shades”. While I was at it, I decided to do a few other things as well.

Fitted Larger diameter and brighter headlight that matches the fairing’s larger opening

Fitted larger and brighter driving lights on the crash bars as the smaller “bullet” style just weren’t bright enough and had
too narrow a pattern

Fitted new, adjustable height turn signals onto the forks below the fairing as the fairing blocks the original signals near
the end of the handle bars.

Since there is no “approved” Batwing fitment for the Dyna-glide family of Harleys (Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!), I had to have
a local shop make customized fittings. I wanted the fairing to be easily removable so I deigned the fittings to use the
quick disconnect clamps from the windshield, a significant improvement over Memphis Shades’ system.

My aftermarket JAGG oil cooler was also not actually designed for this bike so I had a new mounting bracket made for
it that allows it so face into the wind better and should provide a bit better cooling..

I brought the bike home just ahead of a snow last week, so today was the first time I was able to actually ride it for
more than a couple miles. Originally on the ride home, the turbulence around my head had been completely unacceptable,
but I didn’t have the lower deflectors in place that I’d found so useful with the windshield. The turbulence improved as soon
as the deflectors were in place but it’s going to take a bit of trial and error to find out the best heights and angles for them. .

I ran it up to 80+ several times with one quick squirt to 90+ and the turbulence and wind noise is now in the "acceptable
but still more than I like" range. There's no doubt in my mind that I can reduce the noise and turbulence into the "pretty
damn good" range with some more tweaking. I'm positive that I'm going to have to fit a taller clear section.

I raised the turn signals about an inch so that there was room to adjust the deflectors (Mr. Sulu! Deflectors on full!!!). The
Batwing's brackets are adjustable so I can raise it a bit more as well, but if I do, the headlight opening will also come up
making a large gap between the headlight and the fairing so I'd have to fit a slightly taller headlight mounting block to close
it back in. The headlight is a touch too low as it is, so I may need to fit a new block, anyway. Not a big deal.

I've briefly exchanged emails with a company that makes a taller windscreen with a recurved lip that supposedly
pushes more air away and I'm debating getting that rather than a taller "official" replacement from Memphis Shades.

For now I'm going to ride with it and play with the various adjustments. The improvement after a quick adjustment
was significant so I know that this is definitely the way to go and the gamble is paying off....

By the time the real riding season is here, I should have this really worked out..

Old 12-20-2010, 05:51 PM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

pics??????????????????

How dare you........

Old 12-20-2010, 06:07 PM
Mike Horrell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey, Bry! It was largely your earlier posts that convinced me to jump in and do this..

Old 12-20-2010, 06:12 PM
stewbeezer
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I used Memphis Shades mounts for their Fats/Slim Windshield to Dyna to mount their Batwing to my '07 Superglide. I'm waiting for my Clearview Windshield and then I'll try to get some photos. I won't be able to ride for a while because we have snow here now. I'm also going to get their wind deflectors for the Batwing in case of a airflow problem.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:42 PM
biketroll
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love the look of those fairings on the dyna.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:59 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks good man!

You guys got me seriously thinking of buying a fairing for mine. Thinking of the Tsukayu one.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:26 PM
M_Ross
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default they do look good!

Heres my '01 Lowrider

Attached Thumbnails I've got the Memphis Shades Batwing on my 2009 FXDC-low1.jpg   I've got the Memphis Shades Batwing on my 2009 FXDC-low2.jpg   I've got the Memphis Shades Batwing on my 2009 FXDC-low4.jpg  
Old 12-20-2010, 08:29 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by M_Ross
Heres my '01 Lowrider
What brand is yours and how is the quality

Old 12-20-2010, 08:50 PM
BETTY-BOB
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow looks great! You outta keep the info/measurements for the custom brackets, get them made, & sell them for a profit. $$

Mike, do you have a pic of the interior of the wing?

Old 12-20-2010, 08:52 PM
BETTY-BOB
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stewbeezer
I used Memphis Shades mounts for their Fats/Slim Windshield to Dyna to mount their Batwing to my '07 Superglide. I'm waiting for my Clearview Windshield and then I'll try to get some photos. I won't be able to ride for a while because we have snow here now. I'm also going to get their wind deflectors for the Batwing in case of a airflow problem.
Using that mount it bolted up ok, without any other modification?

Quick Reply: I've got the Memphis Shades Batwing on my 2009 FXDC