Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Easy Brackets: Buyer Beware

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 08:17 PM
Midlife Rider44
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Easy Brackets: Buyer Beware

I've seen some posts asking about the different types of quick-release saddlebag brackets. I read a number of these posts about a year ago when I was looking to buy a set of these brackets and decided to go with the Easy Brackets. I have a 94 Wide Glide.

I agree with a number of the posts. They are fairly easy to install, though I would say that with my bike I had to remove a bolt on each shock and drop the rear tire, because there is not a lot of clearance between the tire and fender in order to install the hardware for the docking posts. With that said, the brackets functioned well for about 14 months.

At month 14, the "rattling" (about which I've read a number of posts in this Forum) caused the lock on one of the bags to snap. You might imagine my surprise when riding at 35 MPH and seeing my saddlebag fall off the bike. Luckily I have some old school bags (Leatherman) that are more durable than these brackets. Minimal damage, just a little road rash which added more character. More surprising to me was the response by the manufacturer of Easy Brackets. I called and asked that they merely send me another set of locks. They said that their warranty is only a year and they would do nothing other than sell me another set of locks. Again, I had these brackets for 14 months and live in Michigan where 6 of those 14 months I was buried in snow and didn't ride. They said that the lock probably broke because I hit "too many bumps". That is a quote from the customer service rep.

So... Long story short, if you ride a Harley, which tend to vibrate (or at least those that are running right do), I'd say stay away from these brackets. Read a number of the other reviews in this Forum about how much these brackets rattle on the bike. I certainly would not attach these brackets to an expensive set of bags unless you want to see your $600 bags rolling past you at 35 MPH. Buyer beware.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:25 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,434 Likes on 874 Posts

Originally Posted by Midlife Rider44
I've seen some posts asking about the different types of quick-release saddlebag brackets. I read a number of these posts about a year ago when I was looking to buy a set of these brackets and decided to go with the Easy Brackets. I have a 94 Wide Glide.

I agree with a number of the posts. They are fairly easy to install, though I would say that with my bike I had to remove a bolt on each shock and drop the rear tire, because there is not a lot of clearance between the tire and fender in order to install the hardware for the docking posts. With that said, the brackets functioned well for about 14 months.

At month 14, the "rattling" (about which I've read a number of posts in this Forum) caused the lock on one of the bags to snap. You might imagine my surprise when riding at 35 MPH and seeing my saddlebag fall off the bike. Luckily I have some old school bags (Leatherman) that are more durable than these brackets. Minimal damage, just a little road rash which added more character. More surprising to me was the response by the manufacturer of Easy Brackets. I called and asked that they merely send me another set of locks. They said that their warranty is only a year and they would do nothing other than sell me another set of locks. Again, I had these brackets for 14 months and live in Michigan where 6 of those 14 months I was buried in snow and didn't ride. They said that the lock probably broke because I hit "too many bumps". That is a quote from the customer service rep.

So... Long story short, if you ride a Harley, which tend to vibrate (or at least those that are running right do), I'd say stay away from these brackets. Read a number of the other reviews in this Forum about how much these brackets rattle on the bike. I certainly would not attach these brackets to an expensive set of bags unless you want to see your $600 bags rolling past you at 35 MPH. Buyer beware.
13000 miles on mine. No problem, no rattles.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:32 PM
Mike Horrell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

About 18,000 miles and 4 years on mine.. no failures of any kind and no rattles.

FWIW I disabled the locks right off the bat and just slide the bags on and off without locking
them. They've never come loose..

Old 07-23-2014, 08:47 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

22,000+ miles on mine with no rattling or problems.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:54 PM
MJR28
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by golfblues
13000 miles on mine. No problem, no rattles.
I think you've missed the point. If they did break is that the sort of customer service you'd want? Those companies that are quick to get your money and then wipe you should be avoided at all costs.
I'm sure 99 out of 100 don't break which is all the more reason they should look after the customers whose parts didn't do the job required.
Too many bumps? Write back and ask them how many bumps their locks are good for. Farkin idiots. I wish I'd ordered some so I could cancel my order.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:57 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,434 Likes on 874 Posts

Originally Posted by MJR28

I think you've missed the point. If they did break is that the sort of customer service you'd want? Those companies that are quick to get your money and then wipe you should be avoided at all costs.
I'm sure 99 out of 100 don't break which is all the more reason they should look after the customers whose parts didn't do the job required.
Too many bumps? Write back and ask them how many bumps their locks are good for. Farkin idiots. I wish I'd ordered some so I could cancel my order.
I really don't get how the lock would snap. Maybe the bolts loosened up and you didn't notice it. Your point is understood but my point is I and many others haven't had a problem with them so I won't avoid them because of your post. Sorry you had a problem and couldn't get it resolved.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:42 AM
Midlife Rider44
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MJR28
Really, I was trying to make 3 points. 1) to make people aware that the locks can snap and send your bags rolling down the road, 2) to make people aware of the company's position that bumps/vibrations/rattles may cause the locks to snap and 3) to make people aware how the company's customer service responded to the issue. Bottom line for me is that these CAN break within a short period of time and the customer service response is "oh well, buy another set". Maybe I'm just old-school, but I expect companies to stand behind their products.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:11 PM
chickenhauler
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Midlife Rider44
Really, I was trying to make 3 points. 1) to make people aware that the locks can snap and send your bags rolling down the road, 2) to make people aware of the company's position that bumps/vibrations/rattles may cause the locks to snap and 3) to make people aware how the company's customer service responded to the issue. Bottom line for me is that these CAN break within a short period of time and the customer service response is "oh well, buy another set". Maybe I'm just old-school, but I expect companies to stand behind their products.
I agree companies should stand behind products. That's what is rare today, read the post on vibra-technics from the UK---no questions asked replacement!!!! Maybe easybrackets could learn something! Good luck

Old 07-24-2014, 03:45 PM
greatbikegear
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We are sorry to hear that you are not fully satisfied with your experience. We work hard to provide quality, American-made products and genuine customer service.
Our Easy Brackets model DNA-R1 is designed to fit 1996 to 2005 Dyna models. Since your bike is a 1994, this may account for the problem. We do not recommend using our products in applications other than intended.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:41 PM
jangler14
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I do understand that a few others chimed in with good experience, I am grateful for the heads up of your issues with the company. I do too remember when more companies where willing to stand behind their products. But I also remember how they used to greet you at McDonald's and nowadays they just look up at you from their phone if your lucky when taking your order.

Anyways thanks for the heads up.
Ride safe!

Quick Reply: Easy Brackets: Buyer Beware