Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

old school tires anyone?

Old 01-04-2011, 04:34 PM
Coxbow
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default old school tires anyone?

hi folks,

I really like the looks of those Avon Speedmaster or Cocker, but my indy doesn't recommend them, says they are way to slippery in the rain and unstable at motorway speed (European speed that is...)

so if some of you guys are running old school tires on a daily basis on your Dyna I would appreciated your feed back with this set-up

thanks

Old 01-04-2011, 08:01 PM
reesestewww
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't give you any input based on experience as I've never used those, but my opinion just by looking at them would be the me as your indy. There really is no way for water to escape the middle tread area. I personally would not use them here in FL.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:17 PM
reesestewww
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

BTW. I absolutely dig those handlebars more and more each tine i see your sig pic

Old 01-05-2011, 03:44 PM
Coxbow
Road Captain

Originally Posted by reesestewww
BTW. I absolutely dig those handlebars more and more each tine i see your sig pic
I know, still one of a kind

Old 01-05-2011, 04:08 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 484 Likes on 352 Posts

I ran the Cheng Shen copy of the Avon Speedmaster which is of course a copy of whatever the 21 that was popular in the 60's. My Chinese copy was probably 1/3 the quality of the Avon and I never had the slightest issue with it at all. It was a cool looking tire, thats for sure and when I burn up the Avon Venom thats on the Springer now, I have been planning on the Avon Speedmaster as my next tire. I totally understand your concern about a vintage tread design, but I can only suspect that a premier tire manufacture such as Avon would never build a tire that is unsafe on European or American roads.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:15 PM
Coxbow
Road Captain

well those tires are certified for speed as high as 120mph, and not 200, so less grip, that's for sure, but even 120mph is quite enough !

what about riding, and especialy taking corners in the rain?

Old 01-05-2011, 04:40 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 484 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Coxbow
well those tires are certified for speed as high as 120mph, and not 200, so less grip, that's for sure, but even 120mph is quite enough !

what about riding, and especially taking corners in the rain?
Well, heres the bike with that tire. As you can see, cornering in the rain was gonna suck no matter what tire I had up front. So I can't give an accurate review. Not to mention, mine wasn't the Avon but the Cheng Shen. Still, I'm sure its not the best choice for a front tire, I'm just arguing its probably not the worst either. And I will never believe that Avon makes a tire that is unstable as stated by your Indy. No way would Avon do that.

edit. Just wanted to mention its intended I believe for a 2.15 skinny rim.

Last edited by bikerlaw; 01-05-2011 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:29 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Most feedback I have gotten from them was less than stellar performance. I would still use them though, as long as you dont expect high performance from them they will do.
I prefer the best tire I can get on my current ride, but if I had a rigid springer I would have a Speedmaster with a Coker rear for sure.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:57 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I have two feelings about this subject. One is that modern tyres, even if they look like old ones, should be made using modern rubber compounds, so it is reasonable to expect them to ride a little better than they did a few decades ago.

On the other hand, there is a good reason modern tyres look different! They are made using much more hi-tech designs of construction, as well as tread pattern and rubber compounds. IMHO modern performance overcomes any wish for old fashioned appearance!

Old 01-06-2011, 04:25 PM
Coxbow
Road Captain

Thanks for your input guys, I think GRBROWN made a point there, can’t do anything but agree, BiKERLAW, when I see those japs riding their FLH like sport bikes I wonder if those tires are so bad as my indy say they are !

I don’t like riding in the rain, but last May I did 1600 miles in pouring rain to go to a meeting on the French Riviera…

I’m riding 90% of the time alone or following my wife on her XB9 Buell, and that’s cruising… so no problem with not so hi-perf tires, the problem is the 10% left, that’s when I ride with the gang, and that’s really no cruising !

I cant buy 2 sets of tires !

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: old school tires anyone?