Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel tank removal AARGH

Old 01-17-2011, 06:36 PM
Robtarra39
Road Warrior
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Fuel tank removal AARGH

Well , i tried the search function and found nothing on tank removal, coming from years of sportsters before my Superglide, i found it very easy to remove the tank, now that i own a Dyna, i am not to sure how to remove the tank, as it has a crossover line at the front, How do i remove the tank without spilling fuel all over the place, is there a trick to doing this without too much fuel loss and the mess that goes with it, the wife would just explode if she smelled gas near the house. It's a carburated model and as for the petcock that is no problem for me, it's the crossover line that confuses me, there should be a T line so that it can be drained on the bike, maybe when the tank is off i will figure something out for the next time.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:43 PM
SuperFastGlide
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i went to the auto parts store and got a couple of those little rubber caps to seal off vacum fittings on a car...

Old 01-17-2011, 06:59 PM
bobnehoc
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Pinch the crossover line at both ends (Do not crush the metal tubes). Cut the line and unpich one end and drain the tank into a gas can. Replace the fuel line with a new one as well as hose clamps during reassembly. You should pickup the service manual for the bike, It will make your life a lot easier when it comes to working on the bike.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:06 PM
ryanek9freak
Road Captain

Short answer, no. You WILL spill some gas, but if you're quick enough you can reattatch it after you get it past the backbone.

Tell your wife to grow up, a little gasoline fumes never killed anyone.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:09 PM
Robtarra39
Road Warrior

thx for the replies , i like the pinch the line idea, is there something special you use to pinch the line.as for shop manual that is next, here in Canada the manual cost 90.00 plus tax, but is on my list of things to buy as i plan on doing more wrk to the bike over the winter.My money is tied up in wheels and wideglide front end.

Attached Thumbnails Fuel tank removal  AARGH-img_0284.jpg   Fuel tank removal  AARGH-img_0285.jpg  
Old 01-17-2011, 07:14 PM
mud
muderator
Received 8,715 Likes on 2,055 Posts

Originally Posted by Robtarra39

How do i remove the tank without spilling fuel all over the place,
this is one of the pix from a write I did on tank disassembly.

it's in the stickies, along with another write up...............

Old 01-17-2011, 07:15 PM
ryanek9freak
Road Captain

You can buy a special set of hose pinch off pliers, Harbor Freight has them for about $5.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:41 PM
Robtarra39
Road Warrior

Gotta love the ideas and help one gets on this forum, i appreciate all the suggestions and help. I am learning alot about my Dyna, Dyna's rule.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:33 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Gotta say, your bike looks like a Super Glide Custom (FXDC) with all of that chrome on the motor and the primary cover ... (vice Super Glide FXD) ....

Looks a lot like mine did when I bought it new ....

Hope the FXDWG front end swap goes well ... just post if you have any questions ... a bunch of guys have done it and can probably answer anything that comes up ....

R/
'Chop

Old 01-17-2011, 08:37 PM
blacknsilver
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bobnehoc
Pinch the crossover line at both ends (Do not crush the metal tubes). Cut the line and unpich one end and drain the tank into a gas can. Replace the fuel line with a new one as well as hose clamps during reassembly. You should pickup the service manual for the bike, It will make your life a lot easier when it comes to working on the bike.
+1 on this. I bought a couple small pair of vice grips for like $2 each and pinched each side the cut the hose in the middle. Released each side separatly and drained to gas can. Be careful removing when you pull the bolts that your tank doesn't drop down on the motor and scratch it. I laid some towels on top of the motor when removing just in case.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel tank removal AARGH