Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive shocks vs. Harley lowering shocks

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 09:36 AM
TAC1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Progressive shocks vs. Harley lowering shocks

Well I have a 2006 dyna street bob, I have the factory supsenion front and back, I was wondering if anyone way running the Harley lowering springs and how much they lowered the bike. I also want to know if anyone is running the progressive 440 springs or the 430's, I know the 412's are very harsh, I like how the factory suspension is set up as I ride 2 up often. Let me know and if you have pics please share. I'm looking to drop the front 2" and the rear 1"

Old 01-19-2011, 11:57 AM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well i cannot answere about h.d but i have the prog 412 they lowered about one in, and i put race teck springs in front with the gold mod lowered about one in, it really helped with handling the rear is like riding a hardtail really rough if you two up pass on that situp all your doing is trading comf, for looks

Old 01-19-2011, 02:43 PM
kilocharlie7
Advanced
Thumbs up Suspension Drop

Wife's Street Bob has the Progressive Drop in fork kit and 11' shocks from Progressive as well.. She's a lil thang of 5'3"..

The rear shocks are a little stiff, but she likes the ride and it lowered an inch in the rear and 2 in the front..

I tell ya, if this thing had forward controls on it, I'd steal it from her.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:48 PM
TAC1
Cruiser

Yeah I got forward controls on my bike, along with many other parts, but think I'll have to give progressive a shout next week and chat with them to see what is a more factory like ride while getting that 1'' drop in the rear I desire. As for the front I'm planning on going with the progressive 2" drop in kit.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:22 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

TAC1,

IMHO you have two options! One is to look good and have the bike the way you want it while riding solo, but Two is that if you plan riding 2-up often, the rules change. Look where your backside is on your bike - over the swingarm axle. When the rear wheel moves, you only move a small amount. By contrast your passenger is sitting right over the wheel axle and the riding experience is very different.

If your passenger is the favourite person in your whole life, change nothing! Except perhaps fit custom-built Ohlins to really improve the ride for both of you. Worked for us....

Old 09-05-2014, 09:30 PM
Al Marino
6th Gear
Default Lowering chocks

Originally Posted by TAC1
Well I have a 2006 dyna street bob, I have the factory supsenion front and back, I was wondering if anyone way running the Harley lowering springs and how much they lowered the bike. I also want to know if anyone is running the progressive 440 springs or the 430's, I know the 412's are very harsh, I like how the factory suspension is set up as I ride 2 up often. Let me know and if you have pics please share. I'm looking to drop the front 2" and the rear 1"
I lowered the rear 1 3/4 and left the front alone. I run progressive 440 shocks in the rear- 70% 2 up, and it rides like a caddy compared to stock. I'm 175- the ol lady's around 150. It's alittle firm with just me, but I like it that way. My bike is a 2004 wide glide.

Old 09-06-2014, 12:29 AM
Jesse_81
Road Captain

I'm running the 11.5" 444s on my bike. Took it down roughly an inch on ride height from the factory 12" shocks. Rides softer and has a better rebound feel over the factory shocks. The hand turn adjustabity (preload) is a very nice feature to have to change for different riding conditions. I run them on the softest setting when riding solo (I weigh 165lbs) unless im going to hit the twisties and then i run the preload a bit stiffer (makes a noticable difference). Same with riding 2up. Crank them down a notch or so on the reference marks when the wife is riding with me. Really like these shocks. Little lower, and better ride. I would recommend them.