Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 04:14 PM
oldbaldjay
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Newbie

Hi im new to this forum and harleys im looking at buying a 2001 dyna glide, is there anything i should be looking out for when inspecting a possible purchase?

Thanks J

Old 02-14-2011, 04:31 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Greetings & welcome from NE. Best thing to do when looking at used bikes & go over it w/fine-tooth comb. Look for signs of being dropped (i.e. scratched handles, pipes, pegs, etc.) and ask for maint records. On first look you'll know if the bike's been taken care of...if it looks like crap (faded, chipped, worn, torn) - probably not one to buy. Good luck!

Old 02-14-2011, 05:28 PM
SouthpawHD
Extreme HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Greetings & welcome from NE. Best thing to do when looking at used bikes & go over it w/fine-tooth comb. Look for signs of being dropped (i.e. scratched handles, pipes, pegs, etc.) and ask for maint records. On first look you'll know if the bike's been taken care of...if it looks like crap (faded, chipped, worn, torn) - probably not one to buy. Good luck!

And be sure to take it for a ride - longer than 10 minutes. Pay attention to how it sounds, how the throttle response is, how it feels on straight road (it should track fairly straight), etc...

Also look for signs of leaking. Look under the frame for signs of sludge buildup caused by leaking oil. Look at the gaskets around the base of jugs and around the tranny. Generally, you'll know if it's leaking.

Good luck.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:33 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,307 Likes on 2,356 Posts

How many miles on it? This will dictate cam chain tesioner shoes inspection/replacement. These are wear items. Also the outer been changed to a roller bearing on the rear cam and ball bearing on the front cam. Has the previous owner already dealt with this? Otherwise a nice strong bike.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:11 PM
ZUTEDUFF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

howdy from Arkansas and welcome to the forum... what they said>>>

Old 02-14-2011, 11:36 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Since you are new to Harley's go to the Harley Davidson website and using the dealer locator find and call your local dealer service department and see how much they would charge to do a mechanical inspection of the bike. I have seen some charge 1 hour labor ($80) and give you a written evaluation.

That way you won't get screwed over if there is any real issues.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:45 AM
bikenut1957
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,982 Likes on 680 Posts

+1 on what they said. Take your time. It took me about 3 years of looking to fine my soul mate bike.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:50 AM
NeverEnoughToys
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
Since you are new to Harley's go to the Harley Davidson website and using the dealer locator find and call your local dealer service department and see how much they would charge to do a mechanical inspection of the bike. I have seen some charge 1 hour labor ($80) and give you a written evaluation.

That way you won't get screwed over if there is any real issues.
+1. As a first bike, that $80 could save you thousands. Worst case scenario is that $80 gives you peace of mind

Old 02-15-2011, 04:22 PM
oldbaldjay
4th Gear

hi all thanks for your replies, im in the uk the bike has about 15000 miles on the clock, very clean from what i saw and a test ride is booked for this friday

Old 02-20-2011, 04:27 PM
oldbaldjay
4th Gear

The test ride has been postponed the bike needed a new battery and by the time it was fitted it was to late. The the weather turned sour on saturday, . Hopefully the ride will take place this weekend sometime weather permitting.

Quick Reply: Newbie