Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Problems with install of Burly Slammer on a 2004 SuperGlide Sport

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 10:54 PM
superglidezak
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help! Problems with install of Burly Slammer on a 2004 SuperGlide Sport

Just tried to install a Burly Slammer Lowering Kit on my 2004 Super Glide Sport. I got as far as the rears.
I did like the instructions said.
Remove stock shocks
Lower bike completely down till "contact point" where the rear can go down no further. Then measure and from mount to mount is must be less than 9.63"

That's where I had a problem. Mine was half inch off.
The mounts were to far apart for the Burly shock to even fit.

The kit says 91-05 Dyna (except wide glide)

Did I miss something or is the Sport model of the Super Glide so different?

Any help would be great. Thanks!

Old 02-24-2011, 08:03 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

So, if I got everything right, you removed both shocks and then lower the rear end until it bottomed out! Then measured the distance between the mounts!

I don't know about your bike, but when I installed my slammers on my SB I lifted the bike just high enough to get the rear end off the ground, removed both shocks, installed one of the slammers to the strut mount mount pointand then raised the tire and swing arm up until the lower shock mounting points lined up and installed the lower bolt, then did the otherside and then torqued everything down, no problems. I didn't measure anything and as far as I can remember the shock is 10.5" long or round abouts that and from what you said your bike bottoms out at an inch less then that.

I say try installing the shock like I did, if that doesn't work, call Burly to get things cleared up.

Good luck! Post pics when you get it done!

Old 02-24-2011, 10:56 AM
superglidezak
Cruiser

Okay looked over everything again. The Burly shocks are adjusted to its lowest setting. Any tips on adjusting it higher without it being on the bike?

Old 02-24-2011, 11:33 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member

The setting you are talking about only adjust the spring compression tension (stiffness), not the length. With out weight on the shock the spring will compress so the length is always at its natural length.

Can you post pics of the problems you are having, it could be helpful. How you have the bike sitting, i.e. on lift, jack, backend lifted off the ground, etc...

What is the length of you stock spring, eyelet to eyelet, off the bike?

What is the length of the new shock, eyelet to eyelet, off the bike?

If your bike is on a jack, when you raise the frame with the shocks off and the rear tire on the ground, your swingarm should lower away from the frame with the tire maintaining contact with the ground.

Is the 9.? length you got with the tire making contact with the inside fender (should be) or the swingarm hanging freely with no shocks attached (a problem, might be binding on something)?

Again, pics could help!!

Old 02-24-2011, 01:50 PM
superglidezak
Cruiser

Stock shock length eyelet center to eyelet center is 13.24

Burly shock length eyelet center to eyelet center is 10.5

My bike is lifted with a jack with strap on tight. Back end lifted. It's pretty verticle, not leaning to either side.

In the Install Insturctions Burly sends it says that lowered all the way to its contact point the eyelet to eyelet should be less than 9.63"

Mine completely lowered full contact is at 10.5" But nothing seems to be touching. Tire not hitting the fender and swing arm not hitting the frame. I'm posting pictures

Also upon test fitting the Burly shocks, it seems the mounting hole is much wider than the stock shocks. Part of the bolt seems to be a spacer and makes it so there is no room for the nut with the Burly shocks

Attached Thumbnails Help! Problems with install of Burly Slammer on a 2004 SuperGlide Sport-imag0055.jpg   Help! Problems with install of Burly Slammer on a 2004 SuperGlide Sport-imag0056.jpg   Help! Problems with install of Burly Slammer on a 2004 SuperGlide Sport-imag0058.jpg   Help! Problems with install of Burly Slammer on a 2004 SuperGlide Sport-imag0059.jpg   Help! Problems with install of Burly Slammer on a 2004 SuperGlide Sport-imag0061.jpg  

Old 02-24-2011, 01:51 PM
superglidezak
Cruiser

More pictures

Attached Thumbnails Help! Problems with install of Burly Slammer on a 2004 SuperGlide Sport-imag0062.jpg   Help! Problems with install of Burly Slammer on a 2004 SuperGlide Sport-imag0063.jpg   Help! Problems with install of Burly Slammer on a 2004 SuperGlide Sport-imag0064.jpg  
Old 02-25-2011, 12:30 PM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member

Have you check with your local dealership to make sure that those are the stock shock/strut bolt. I don't know how they looked on your year Dyna, but the look different and shorter from the ones that are on mine. You might need to get some stock ones and install them if they are not. You should be able to take some close up pics of the bolts and bring them so you don't have to bring the bike up.

Also, you stock doesn't look like a stock one. Did you buy the bike new or used, if used, maybe the previous own changed the shock and bolts out. This may be why you are having issues.

After you get those issues worked out, installing the Burly's should be a piece of cake. Like I said before hang it from the strut bolt and raise the swing arm up until you can gat the lower bolt in. Then check and make sure you have good clearence for compression.

I hit a BIG pot hole once with these shocks on my bike and the bleed valve on the rear caliper hit my fender and cut it. No biggie, I just need to pay more attention to the pot holes.

When I changed my shock I didn't read any of the Burly info, I just pulled my old one off and installed the new ones, made sure the straight and not pitched in or out, and torqued bolts/nuts to spec. So I don't know what burly is talking about with the 9.63", maybe the minimum distance between points when fully bottomed out.

Anyway, make sure you have all the stock hardware one you bike first, change it if not. Then get that shock mounted, your losing riding time everyday.

I will get some pics of my bolts this weekend and post them for you to look at.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:52 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member

Any luck figuring out what is going on with you ride?

Old 03-01-2011, 07:17 PM
superglidezak
Cruiser

Yea since mine is the Super Glide Sport it has the modified suspension. So I had to order the stock shock bolts from a regular Super Glide. Should be in tomorrow. Will post pictures once I'm done