Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   first harley (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/622587-first-harley.html)

theryans33 03-20-2011 10:39 PM

first harley

so i am looking to purchase my first harley. my experience is limited to taking the MSF beginner class about 3 years ago and again last fall. i put about 150-200 miles on a honda shadow 750 a couple years ago as well. my favorite bikes are the wide glide, and night train.

how does this one look to you guys? overall what can you tell me about it, is the price good? would you recommend it with my level of experience? I would love to get a 2011 wide glide but i feel a used would be best.

oh and im 24 years old 6'0" and about 215 lbs

PhD 03-20-2011 10:47 PM

Buy the bike you like. You'll get experienced on it.

theryans33 03-20-2011 10:51 PM

thats what i figure, how about the price?

binarym 03-20-2011 10:55 PM

Get the 2011 Softail Blackline with ABS and Security. Sort of in line with the two Dyna styles you mentioned but for your frame you would be better served with a Softail if not tourer. Where you're not experienced on big bikes I won't recommend a tourer for you right off the bat but I highly recommend the Softail line and based on the two Dyna's you mentioned I think the new Blackline would be perfect for you. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

theryans33 03-20-2011 10:59 PM

i do like the look of the blackline, but after reading a bunch of reviews i am skeptical. i hear their is a huge nut and a gap in front of the seat?

fxd03 03-20-2011 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by PhD (Post 8074674)
Buy the bike you like. You'll get experienced on it.

:icon_that:

Get what you like it dont have to be new as long as it runs good

JaronB 03-20-2011 11:10 PM

I went in to buy a night train and left with my Dyna. If I were to go back to do it again I wouldn't have done it any other way. I still would love to add a NT some day, but I love my Dyna!! Oh yea I'm the same height and weight!!

theryans33 03-20-2011 11:19 PM

im an idiot, i forgot to post the link

http://www.eastcoastharley.com/new_v...2053048#detail

11bDad 03-21-2011 05:24 AM

Are we supposed to guess what price you were quoted?

Spanners39 03-21-2011 05:31 AM

At those miles I would ask if and when the timing chains/tensioners/bearings were replaced....if not done yet then beat them down because they will need doing...and when you do them get the gear drive conversion and uprated bearings.....trust me, it gets messy when they go!

blueangel73 03-21-2011 07:30 AM

Dyna, Dyna, Dyna! That's all I have to say!

Thatguy08 03-21-2011 09:36 AM

Go with whatever you like, seriously. You will grow accustomed to whatever you get and don't let anyone tell you what you should be riding. With that said, I have to recommend the Wide Glide. I have the 2010 and I love it. Handles great and it's really comfortable on the long rides. Took it all the way to Sturgis last year and it was a pleasure the whole way. Anyway, go test ride the bikes you like and base your decision on that. Have fun.

SURFOR Chop 03-21-2011 11:05 AM

I am partial to the Wide Glide (being a Dyna owner); but, also really like the Night Train styling ....

Although I've not owned one, I've ridden Softails and do not find them as good a rider's bike as the Dynas .... But, as Thatguy08 suggested, whatever you get, you'll grow accustomed to the feel and idiosyncracies of the particular model ....

I find the Softail's hidden suspension a curious feature ... a design by the MoCo to mimic the looks of their longtime standard hard tail frame (no rear suspension--just springs under the seat) ... but, since the design was introduced in 1986 it has developed it's own 25-year product history ....

I would advise against getting a new bike ... there are plenty of good deals to be had on low-mileage bikes in today's market .... Just do a little homework and learn the pros and cons of the various years' offerings ....

The posted price on the webpage you linked is not that great for a bike with 42,300 miles .... You could probably do better ... try searching craigslist or eBay ....

As someone else posted, at 42,000 miles, you would be pretty close to having to do something about the cam chain tensioner shoes on that '03 Wide Glide ... if they have not already been replaced .... To replace them with the stock replacements is going to cost $500-$700 (could be done for ~$175 parts and gaskets if you do it yourself) ... to upgrade to hydraulic will cost around $1,000 - $1,200 (~$700 for parts depending on whether you use Screamin Eagle, Andrew, Feuling, et c.) ... to change over to gear drive cams should cost around the same price range .... The same will apply (with regards to the cam chain tensioner shoes) for any pre-'06 Twin Cam motor ....

Good luck shopping for a bike and hope to welcome you to the Dyna forum ....

R/
'Chop

GfromAlberta 03-21-2011 11:50 AM

I'm 6'3 and 260, I have a street bob and ****in love it!

Maclugie 03-21-2011 11:59 AM

Some people can start off on a heavy bike, some can't. Only you can answer that question. Good luck.

Robotech 03-21-2011 12:03 PM

Again, go with what you want. My first bike was an 883 Sportster and many told me I should go with a lighter, smaller bike to learn on. Since you have some time with the Shadow under your belt I think you'd have no issues with a bigger bike. If you want a 2011 WG, get it.

lo-rider 03-21-2011 12:20 PM

buying tips

Take the time to do your own due diligence. No one else can tell you which bike to buy. Start w/ searches on this forum. Learn all you can about the different models and their unique traits & problems. Don't decide solely on looks. Don't get too hung up on finding just 1 special color. There are a lot of good looking bikes out there from which to choose. If you can, rent for a day a model as close as possible to what you've decided upon. Establish beforehand 1 budget for initial price (+tax, license, insurance), plus 1 for mods and accessories/riding gear. Set aside an additional amount for contingencies.

You will pay $1,000's more buying through a dealer (My local dealer had a 1999 Dyna for $9,000--I got my 2009 for $9,000 from original owner). Dealers buy wholesale and sell retail, so search private party ads on local craigslist's, to start. There's absolutely no need to travel far. Don't expect everyone to offer free rides. Find a late-model cream-puff w/ LO miles (~10,000) for sale by local owner. Make him take less. Forget these bikes that are half used up. It costs $1,000's to overhaul 1. Forget bikes that show any abuse or neglect. Pass on anything that's been damaged. Avoid all which have been highly modified. Try to find 1 as close to stock as possible.

Once you know which models to look for, be financially prepared to instantly transfer funds, generally a cashiers check works. Be certain you understand what is meant by "clear and untainted title", and make sure you get that. Arrange to conclude your transaction immediately following a complete mechanical inspection, preferably at a well-regarded dealership; this will cost little but could save a fortune.

Good judgement comes from experience. Unfortunately experience comes from bad judgement. Arm yourself w/ all the info you need. Seek professional advice regarding condition. Find an honest seller.

Good luck.

theryans33 03-21-2011 09:09 PM

thanks all for the good advice. the mileage on the 03 scared me too but figured i would ask. now that a few have suggested fat bobs i did a bit more looking into them. now if i go new im torn between the wide glide and fat bob. each have a few features i like. the fat bob has the bobtail fender, the WG has the raked front with skinny tire. but after thinking about it wide would be better with my experience level. so i think if i go new it will be a fat bob. i found a 2010 with 5k miles for $13999. no matter what i do plan on test driving and maybe renting for a weekend or something. how does test drives work? do they provide a helmet and take a copy of my license or do i have to have a credit check done first or something

redmonster13 03-21-2011 09:21 PM

check out craigslist, tons of good deal on all sorts of bikes.

theryans33 03-25-2011 12:20 AM

Went to the local dealer with the mrs last night.they have a 2010 fat bob with just over 500 miles on it, mustang seat, v&h slip ons and a sissy bar for about $15000 out the door. They r doing the 1000 mile service to it. They r holding it a couple days for me as depending how the test ride goes I'll most likely be getting it

NDBadlands4-2 03-25-2011 12:34 AM

Keep us informed on your decision.

theryans33 03-25-2011 12:56 AM

i assure you i will. ill be on here a lot more if i get it lol

freddyttt 03-25-2011 04:49 AM

forget that 03.... you can find so many steals on Bikes right now if you have cash. i picked up my 01 with 11,000 miles for 5300.
good luck-

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y78/freddyttt/033.jpg

lkohan7373 03-25-2011 09:09 AM

I missed my opportunity to get the Wide Glide. I had a sportster for a year and then went out and bought a brand new 09 FXD. I love it but always liked the WG. It was reintroduced in '10. Dyna is the way to go.

DSnoopy 03-25-2011 09:53 AM

Just had a fried get a 03 Wide Glide with 5k miles on it for $8k. Just FYI.

DSnoopy 03-25-2011 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by theryans33 (Post 8094063)
Went to the local dealer with the mrs last night.they have a 2010 fat bob with just over 500 miles on it, mustang seat, v&h slip ons and a sissy bar for about $15000 out the door. They r doing the 1000 mile service to it. They r holding it a couple days for me as depending how the test ride goes I'll most likely be getting it

Make them throw in a few more things for ya, never hurts to ask. ;)

PS - Consider your riding stryle, because the bikes you have been mentioning are very different feeling in the saddle. Just saying, sit on it and make sure you like the feel, take both for a test ride around the block, etc.

lo-rider 03-25-2011 09:57 AM

$15,000! Sounds like retail++.