Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

10,000 miles Exhaust+aircleaner... no tuner Update

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 04:52 PM
crazyanimal
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi guys,I should have introduced myself first,but I could'nt resist commenting on this thread.MY wife and I just bougth 2 new bikes within a couple weeks of each other.Delta bougth a 2011 street bob,and mine is still at the dealership waiting to be delivered,I bought a 2011 superglide custom last friday.

I have been in contact with aguy who is the senior parts advisor at a major dealership and he seems to know his stuff when discussing harleys.We will be doing a stage 1 on both our bikes probley over the summer,it will be slipons and SE/AC,so I asked my buddy if we needed a tuner or any other type of fuel management system,his answer was NO.He said that the HD download would be more than enough for what we are doing,remember,he works for the dealer and did'nt push a tuner or anything else,now more intense motor work then yes,but not for a stage 1.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:57 PM
srshaw
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm inclined to do the same thing. I've a 2010 Fat Bob with at the moment with just Rush Slip ons. I fancy the heavy breather (for looks). I'm not too bothered about performance since a Harley is never going to be quicker than my Honda.

It does say in the Parts Manual that some kind of EFI adjustment is necessary for proper installation but I suspect these days this isn't actually the case.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:07 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

huh that would be great news i would love to save my customers some $$$ and not ahve to recomend a tuner every time

Old 04-07-2011, 05:15 PM
08StreetBobRob
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was talking to a dealer mechanic and told him that another dealer was telling me that I needed to do a download when I put a performance AC on and he said I didn't need to. Said it was just a way for them to make money.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:35 PM
Samson_tech
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stock tuners from 2009-2011 have a much larger range of self adjustability than the 08 and earlier years. Many people are realizing this fact and run aftermarket exhaust but if you change the air cleaner you could have tuning issues. The more you do to your bike the better it will run so IMHO make that Harley scream. Cut the power loose that lies within and make it run the way it should. OK, I'm off my soap box.
Thank you,
JR / SAMSON

Old 04-07-2011, 06:24 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 952dave
I know that your "SUPPOSED" to add a tuner when you change the pipes and breather, well I didnt. I installed pipes with "torque cones, no baffles" at 1000 miles and then a heavy breather around 5000k. When I ride, its usually full throttle hell raising at it's finest, so I would say that its been through the ringer. I haven't had the 1st hiccup from the results from these mod's. Has anyone else had the same, or opposite experience?
You probably won't "hole" a piston but you might burn the edges off the valves and start to lose compression and power at first. Then when enough fuel leaks past a valve you may get that heavy detonation thud or misfire and break something loose or bend a pushrod or con rod or bend a valve. If you ever have your pipes off you might want to inspect the valves. If they are snow white...you might get another 10k before the big grenade...but its' coming....

Last edited by KBFXDLI; 04-07-2011 at 06:26 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:47 PM
AFMM3
Road Warrior
Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

I really don't like getting involved in tuning threads, but: below approx 4000 RPM and less than approx 80% throttle, you are running in "closed loop" on any bike with O2 sensors. Exhaust and air cleaner changes will have no effect on the 14.7 AFR. The bike will breath better and will usually have some performance increase in that range. In "open loop" the bike runs on a programmed map just like the older EFI bikes did all the time. In "open loop" you may be risking a little more long term damage, but not more than half the carburetor bikes out there.

BTW, the State of California approves of the H-D Stage 1 download. That should tell you everything you need to know about what little you are getting (a pinch more fuel at wide open throttle only and still 14.7 in closed loop) .

If you don't really care about maximum performance (I care more for longevity) then it is perfectly safe to skip the download or tuner unless you really do ride like Speed Racer.

Just my $.02, hope I didn't make anyone mad at me.

The following users liked this post:
DataScoutTyperUSMC (02-23-2017)
Old 04-07-2011, 07:25 PM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by AFMM3
I really don't like getting involved in tuning threads, but: below approx 4000 RPM and less than approx 80% throttle, you are running in "closed loop" on any bike with O2 sensors. Exhaust and air cleaner changes will have no effect on the 14.7 AFR. The bike will breath better and will usually have some performance increase in that range. In "open loop" the bike runs on a programmed map just like the older EFI bikes did all the time. In "open loop" you may be risking a little more long term damage, but not more than half the carburetor bikes out there.

BTW, the State of California approves of the H-D Stage 1 download. That should tell you everything you need to know about what little you are getting (a pinch more fuel at wide open throttle only and still 14.7 in closed loop) .

If you don't really care about maximum performance (I care more for longevity) then it is perfectly safe to skip the download or tuner unless you really do ride like Speed Racer.

Just my $.02, hope I didn't make anyone mad at me.
Sounds like you've done your homework!

BTW, the only reason CA has approved the Stage 1 is because it only retards the ign timing a couple of degrees. It reduces the NOX emissions but still keeps the HC within parameters set in the CARB Certificate. Contrary to popular belief, it doesnt add any more fuel than the original ECM settings.

The can of worms has now been officially reopened.

Last edited by kk6pg; 04-07-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:10 PM
952dave
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the supporting details.... This will be good news to a lot of guys

Old 04-07-2011, 08:23 PM
crazyanimal
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

THat's what has been relayed back to me on a couple occassions.My 1200 sporster had a stage 1 download and V&H shortshots and it run very well,all I did was run synthitic oil in it and it did run cooler.I also purchased the extended warrenty on my superglide,7 years bumper to bumper unlimited KMs,so if it goes poof,I'm covered.

Mike.

Quick Reply: 10,000 miles Exhaust+aircleaner... no tuner Update