Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   Michelin macadam m-50 tire's ? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/630726-michelin-macadam-m-50-tires.html)

joesride 04-11-2011 03:08 AM

Michelin macadam m-50 tire's ?

I have been running the stock Dunlop k591 tire's since 2008 and have got good mileage , handling etc from them, got 15k miles out of the original k591 rear and 14k out of the replacement k591 rear.I found a good deal on a Michelin macadam m-50 rear and figured i would order one and give it a go this time around [bike has 29k miles on it now 2008 FXD]....Any one ever run one of these tires on the rear ?I figured i would try one for the heck of it and if it don't perform well i will go back to the spec Dunlops after i wear the Michelin down.

Dawg Rider 04-11-2011 06:34 AM

That's unreal mileage out of the Dunlops...much better than most. My bro-in-law just got in the Macadam rear for his '08 Wide Glide (paid about $80 online), but it won't be mounted until today, so no info yet. But you can't go wrong at that price- looks good too.

PHA-Q 04-11-2011 08:52 AM

I have one, got it online, $80 shipped, dont have alot on confidence in it.... The rubber is extremly hard, it has a tendency to step out when nailing the throttle... Kinda fun to let it go but not when pushing it in corners.... I would put a metz on and skip the michelin...

coconl 04-11-2011 09:12 AM

Mitchelin

I have Mitchelins on my 2010 Dyna, I don't drive hard at 6k they started making a noise like a bearing I'm getting Dunlops Fri.With less than 10k My tires were bad.

husky 04-11-2011 12:32 PM

I have an 09 fxdc and only got 6k on my first rear. 14 to 15k on a rear tire is awesome . With that kind of mileage I wouldn't change.

joesride 04-11-2011 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by husky (Post 8175459)
I have an 09 fxdc and only got 6k on my first rear. 14 to 15k on a rear tire is awesome . With that kind of mileage I wouldn't change.

I have always got good mileage from the Dunlops, i check tire pressures weekly and i do not engine brake. Engine braking wears tires more than most folks realize believe it or not.Only reason i decided to try the Michelins was the 80 dollar price, and michelin has a good reputation [ car tires anyway ].I will keep you all posted how well this tire performs. Note, my first Dunlop front lasted 21k and was still within spec when i changed it out.

joesride 04-11-2011 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by coconl (Post 8174625)
I have Mitchelins on my 2010 Dyna, I don't drive hard at 6k they started making a noise like a bearing I'm getting Dunlops Fri.With less than 10k My tires were bad.

I would make double sure you do not have a bearing going bad, Harley is using smaller sealed wheel bearings that have and can go bad early....Just put a new one in my superglide, the Indy told me he has seen quite a few newer model Harleys with bad wheel bearings.