Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96ci motor whp/tq max power rating?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 03:17 PM
Gringoloco13
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96ci motor whp/tq max power rating?

Just curious if anyone knows what the stock Harley 96ci motor can handle at it's limits (with a good tune)? Also what is the stock clutch rated to hold? Reason I am asking is I am starting to save up for a procharger kit for my scoot. And want to know what I am getting myself into, what power levels require a built motor, etc. Not looking to get into crazy power but would like to see 110-115+ whp/115-125tq. I know I can go with a bigger CI n/a motor to make this power, etc. But I want to do something differant and I like boost. I own a highly modified 04 SRT-4 big turbo/nitrous car and a bolt on, exhaust, tuned 01 Lightning. So I know my way around boosted cars/trucks but never went this route on any bike I have owned. I have heard alot of good reviews and happy customers regarding the custom/everything you need procharger kit made for our bikes. So I am sold and just trying to work out the details of how much I need for the setup. So please share any information that you can give

Old 04-21-2011, 05:07 PM
Gringoloco13
Road Master

Does the 2010 Street Bob have a Hydraulic Clutch or no? Reason I am asking is in the SE catalog they have a Screamin’ EagleTwin Cam Performance Race Clutch Hub Kit but it states (Fits ’07-later Twin Cam-equipped models. Does not fit models equipped with Hydraulic Clutch.) The kit is rated to 160lb's tq so that will exceed my goal and have room to play with if I want to push more boost.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:25 PM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would get the crank welded and forged pistons before going with forced induction.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:27 PM
SuperFastGlide
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by paul s
I would get the crank welded and forged pistons before going with forced induction.
ditto: your crank wont be able to take it

Old 04-21-2011, 05:36 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Gringoloco13
Just curious if anyone knows what the stock Harley 96ci motor can handle at it's limits (with a good tune)? Also what is the stock clutch rated to hold? Reason I am asking is I am starting to save up for a procharger kit for my scoot. And want to know what I am getting myself into, what power levels require a built motor, etc. Not looking to get into crazy power but would like to see 110-115+ whp/115-125tq. I know I can go with a bigger CI n/a motor to make this power, etc. But I want to do something differant and I like boost. I own a highly modified 04 SRT-4 big turbo/nitrous car and a bolt on, exhaust, tuned 01 Lightning. So I know my way around boosted cars/trucks but never went this route on any bike I have owned. I have heard alot of good reviews and happy customers regarding the custom/everything you need procharger kit made for our bikes. So I am sold and just trying to work out the details of how much I need for the setup. So please share any information that you can give
Bone stock numbers are about 66hp/80tq. The numbers you want are achievable without boost. As mentioned you will need to beef up the lower end no matter what. Without boost you'll most likely need to go to at least 103". imho

Old 04-21-2011, 05:49 PM
srshaw
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Dont think the 2010 street bob has a hydraulic clutch if its anything like my 2010 Fat Bob. Definately looks to be cable actuated.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:51 PM
Gringoloco13
Road Master

Thanks for the input about the lower end. I figured that would be the case but wanted to double check. With building the lower end and the $5,000 and change procharger that is putting me in about the same ball park as a 120r motor swap with the extra parts needed. So I will have to think about it of which would be better overall in the long run. What about all the guys running the procharger kit without a build motor but a good tune? So I guess boosting it would be a ticking time bomb? Does SE 103 kit come with forged pistons? It doesn't state it in the catalog, just that they are flat top. So are they forged or just standard cast like stock?

Old 04-21-2011, 09:01 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Dude... just go with a kit.... I have been eyeing this one from Jamie...

http://fuelmotousa.com/107kit.htm

The cost savings would allow you to build a for-hell strong bottom end. and lots of extra cash for riding.... unless you just have all that extra money burning a hole in your pocket...

Old 04-21-2011, 09:11 PM
Gringoloco13
Road Master

Originally Posted by archergodwin
Dude... just go with a kit.... I have been eyeing this one from Jamie...

http://fuelmotousa.com/107kit.htm

The cost savings would allow you to build a for-hell strong bottom end. and lots of extra cash for riding.... unless you just have all that extra money burning a hole in your pocket...
I have thought about the kit you posted many times and I see it comes with forged pistons. Overall it puts out good numbers and will bump up the CI to around 1753 give or take. Looks like some good power and room to grow down the road minus having the crank welded. But if I want to go forced induction I guess you have to pay to play. I think I will go with the Fuel Moto kit and see how I like the powerband after a good tune, etc. One question though what is stock compression on a 96ci motor? I see compression is 10.25:1 with the 107ci kit from FM.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:18 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Stock 96 I believe is about 9.2:1.

If you were to do some head work in addition to that 107, and lower end build, I think you would have some pretty hot numbers.

But if you just "need" that forced induction, I would stay as stock on top as possible, with the exception of forged pistons, cleaning the heads up and possibly larger valves instead of larger cams.

lol... I guess that is still a lot of work on top huh...

Quick Reply: 96ci motor whp/tq max power rating?