Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guess I'm shopping for a new Dyna

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 01:08 PM
Dan28
Road Master
Received 209 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by thegrants82
If I had the choice between the two I would go for the WG but either way you decide, prepare to be amazed because both are miles and miles above sportsters. Plus you will never hear another girls bike comment again
Probably leaning to the WG. Still haven't test rode yet though. The girl's bike comments never bothered me regarding the Sporty. I knew that stigma and it didn't influence me when I bought it and isn't influencing me to switch.

Originally Posted by greenstreetbob
STL here too. I have a 2011 Superglide, but I really liked the feel of the WG. I kinda wish I had bought one. Anyway, where are you buying from? My cousin got a really good deal from Docs, but everyone else I know hates them, including me. I have excellent credit and they just didn't want to budge on the interest rate from Harley. I went to Gateway and even though the salesperson was new and clueless, I got the same bike plus a giftcard, and 4 points lower in the interest rate also from Harley. Just saying be careful. If you want, use me as a referral and they will give me a giftcard for $100 and you can have it.
Even though I live within 5 miles of Gateway, I'll probably start out at Surdyke in Festes. I think the same guy owns Gateway too though. I have family that live south so I drive/ride by Surdyke all the time and that's where I bought my Sporty from.

I was a Navy Seabee and joined USAA credit union while in. When I bought the Sporty, I financed through them as HD couldn't come close to the interest rate they offered at the time. I've already set up my loan through USAA, but it seems a little more complicated this time than last. Surdyke's webpage is showing 3.99% for qualified buyers now, and that is a couple points better than what I've got from USAA this time. I don't know if I want to run another check and then not get that optimum rate through HD.

I'm in the middle of network upgrade at work (I'm a network admin), and will be working this weekend. It may be two weeks before I can go test ride.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:15 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are runnin mid controls on a sporty and like the handling of it, I would venture to say that the Fat Bob or Street Bob would be your best choices.

I have spent many miles on Softails, and Wide Glides and the extra rake and forward controls really messed up my confidence in pushing the bike beyond anything over a cruisng pace. I came off dirt bikes as well and run mids, and drag bars on 4 inch risers with jacked up forks and shocks on my StreetBob and I can ride with confidence. Dual discs are an easily added option on the Streetbob but a 6 Piston caliper with aggressive pads will be plenty if u need more stopping on a StreetBob.

Or.... You could add a Hardtail weld in rear section and a chain drive kit from Led Sled customs to your sporty with some new bars and viola...New bike. I love Sporties but I am 6ft 265 and look like a monkey on them.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:14 PM
steelersnation
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with the Street Bob.....nothin wrong with the other bikes, but the BOB was a good easy choice for me. Good luck for your hunt.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:07 PM
Dan28
Road Master

Ended up pulling the trigger today after the test ride. Went with the Wide Glide.

Old car and bike

Current bike and car

It rides great, but I definately have to find some kind of shield for that rear cylinder. It was cooking my upper leg on the ride home. Getting her whoa-ed up was a little different than the Sporty. I eventually am pulling off the pipes and am leaning to the black V&H Big Radius that are so popular.

Attached Thumbnails Guess I'm shopping for a new Dyna-bike2.jpg  
Old 04-28-2011, 06:15 PM
annapolisfatbob
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

congrats on the purchase.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:42 AM
Dan28
Road Master

Rode it in to work today, though I had to put a huge band-aid on my right inner thigh. The heat from the rear cylinder actually blistered my leg up yesterday.

Hit the interstate and actually made it up to 6th gear a time or two for short periods at around 80mph or so though most of the time it was around 60 - 65mph. Guess that staying below 70mph during the break in is out the window. Still, I kind of did the Motoman break in. Also did that on my Sportie and I think it helped it.

It kind of sucks getting it into the parking garage I park in. Kind of have to go around the gate as I don't seem to be able to trip the sensor with my parking pass thing.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:12 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats and nice pick.