Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   bct baffle users, please chime in (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/637470-bct-baffle-users-please-chime-in.html)

toastman 04-28-2011 10:00 PM

bct baffle users, please chime in

did you install your baffles with the lollipop closer to the engine or the exit side of the pipe?

they come with two possible mounting holes, just wana know waht you guys did.

plan on calling jim tomorrow to ask him, but figured i'd throw it up here for sake of discussion.

thanks

Phrogman 04-28-2011 10:42 PM

I just put their QQ baffles in my wife's Softail with Hooker Headers Troublemakers. On the QQ's, the lollipop goes to the rear and the cone to the front, so I'm guessing that all the lollipops should go to the rear.

Chances are the two mounting holes are there to give you options for ensuring you get their baffles the proper distance inside the pipe.

toastman 04-28-2011 10:45 PM

install instructions say that the two holes allow for a little play in the tone and volume of the pipe, so i was wondering how people mounted them up.

thanks for the info

Phrogman 04-28-2011 11:09 PM

With the QQ series, they want you to install them a minimum of 3" into the pipe and an optimum of 6" (you have to drill a new hole) so long as no part of the baffle extends into the step down of the header pipe. That's what made me think the other hole was there to give you flexibility.

I guess if their regular baffle doesn't have the depth stipulation, then you could flip them on the existing baffle hole to change the lollipop location and that would affect sound and performance, similar to the QQ's depth measurement.

toastman 04-28-2011 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Phrogman (Post 8253783)
With the QQ series, they want you to install them a minimum of 3" into the pipe and an optimum of 6" (you have to drill a new hole) so long as no part of the baffle extends into the step down of the header pipe. That's what made me think the other hole was there to give you flexibility.

I guess if their regular baffle doesn't have the depth stipulation, then you could flip them on the existing baffle hole to change the lollipop location and that would affect sound and performance, similar to the QQ's depth measurement.

they offer the same depth guidelines, but it makes no difference as the stock mounting hole on my exhaust is deeper than the 6" mark (deeper the better jim said), so the only variable is how deep or shallow into the pipe the lollipop is.

i'll just call him tomorrow and ask.

blacknsilver 04-28-2011 11:53 PM

I got the originals and installed mine 6" from end and lollipop to rear

toastman 04-29-2011 07:11 AM

anyone else with an opinion on this?

blacknsilver 04-29-2011 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by toastman (Post 8254400)
anyone else with an opinion on this?

I think he told to install at least 6" or more from the end. This placement of 6" provides best performance according o them. The lollipop can go either way as far as the lollipop and I believe it just effects sound. It is supposed to be a little quieter if lollipop is towards the front. When I called them they were very helpful in explaining the install and different methods. He said to quiet it down you can cut the stock baffle in half and install it behind the BCT. I tried that on my BSS pipes and it did work and sounded good but I took it back out. Just trying different things.

toastman 04-29-2011 08:44 AM

yeah i'm just gonna give him a call and let him explain it to me.

i'll post up in here with what he says after i get off the phone.

red devil 04-29-2011 10:15 AM

From what I remember it's washer towards motor it's a little more top end and washer towards end of pipe more low end. I just had to fix my baffles after about 3yrs, one washer actually broke off. And make sure you loctite the bolts cause they will work loose after some time. And yeah they recommend installing the baffles 6" in from end of pipes for best performance.