Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil light on.. ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 05:44 PM
futonfactory
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil light on.. ideas?

Hello all... I was replacing my mid controls on my 2011 super glide with HD forward controls over the weekend. When taking my primary case off... lots of trans fluid leaked from the bike. After getting everything installed and put back together, I turned the key of the bike and noticed that my red oil light was on. I have 300 miles on the bike... checked the oil level...perfect. Checked the trans fluid and was a little low. I ran to the dealership and got some trans fluid and put about 24 oz in. I started the bike hoping that the trans fluid would cycle through... oil light is still on and I can't seem to figure out why. Does the oil light also turn on for trans fluid? What could possibly be causing this?

Help please

Old 05-08-2011, 06:35 PM
mud
muderator
Received 8,779 Likes on 2,064 Posts

Originally Posted by futonfactory

What could possibly be causing this?
check the wire to the sending unit....

Old 05-08-2011, 06:42 PM
spaceblue
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I had to guess...and I do, I'd suggest that you may have damaged the yellow and green wire that goes to the oil pressure switch. The switch is located on the front of the motor next to the oil filter housing but the wire runs under the motor and along the chassis in a wiring harness. Check to make sure you haven't damaged or pinched that harness when you jacked the bike up? Just a thought.

Old 05-08-2011, 06:57 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,309 Likes on 2,356 Posts

To the best of my knoeledge there are three cavities for oil on the HD. 1) primary, 2) transmission, 3) engine oil. When you removed the primary cover, trans oil leaked out? I'm with Mud on this, sounds like you may have pinched the oil pressure sending wire or quite possibly diconnected it at the sender unit or a plug.

Old 05-08-2011, 07:30 PM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

If the wire is disconnected the light will not come on. It is only on when it grounds. Other than the obvious lack of oil pressure if you eliminate that I would say that the either the wire is grounded out or the sending unit is bad. Disconnect it from the sending unit. If the light goes out the the sending unit is the problem. If it stays on go find the short.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:13 AM
futonfactory
Novice

To the best of my knoeledge there are three cavities for oil on the HD. 1) primary, 2) transmission, 3) engine oil. When you removed the primary cover, trans oil leaked out?

Well the primary and trans oil for this bike is the same oil. I believe its the HD Formula + Chaincase and transmission.

Thanks for the pointers, haven't had a chance to look at the bike wiring yet. Can a low primary oil cause the oil light to turn on? I added to the tranny filler but not the Primary which is the next step I'll take before checking wiring.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:39 PM
RonnR
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
To the best of my knoeledge there are three cavities for oil on the HD. 1) primary, 2) transmission, 3) engine oil. When you removed the primary cover, trans oil leaked out? I'm with Mud on this, sounds like you may have pinched the oil pressure sending wire or quite possibly diconnected it at the sender unit or a plug.
To the best of your what? Made me wonder if I should even read the rest of your post.. But I did, and your 'knoeledge' is rite arn..

Just mssin with ya.

Old 05-09-2011, 06:54 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,309 Likes on 2,356 Posts

Thanks RoonR, yea just saw the "error". Please enlighten me how the trans oil came out of your primary case. I might be missing something here, or on both of my Dynas.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:10 PM
Squirrel67
Cruiser

In your post you said you turned the key and the oil light was on, did you actually start the bike or just turn the ignition on?

Old 05-09-2011, 08:01 PM
RonnR
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
Thanks RoonR, yea just saw the "error". Please enlighten me how the trans oil came out of your primary case. I might be missing something here, or on both of my Dynas.
Trans oil doesnt come out of my primary case, thats your quote.
However older Harleys did share the same fluids for both Tranny and Primary chain lubrication.
Perhaps the OP has an older Harley than we do..

Quick Reply: Oil light on.. ideas?