Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Bob for a beginner?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 09:01 PM
rsarno
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fat Bob for a beginner?

Hello everyone, 1st time poster here.

I've been around quite a few bikes, and have done a good amount of research .. within my budget, it seems like the FB is the best option. Tomorrow im headed to dealer to size it up and see how she feels! Pretty siked about that

Ultimately, some day, id love to have a Heritage Classic ... i just really dig the bad-*** look of that bike! But for right now its out of my price range.

I am 6'2 280lbs (but i wear it well!! LOL), the research ive done says the stock FB will be perfect, size wise.

The only change i definitely want to do is the bags right away because i need um! The other changes im pondering, but wont know until im a few miles deep:
Seat (thinking Tallboy, but will research more)

Mid (pegs), thinking it might be nice to have options for my feeties but i dont know how complicated of an addition this is. Ill look into it down the road.

Eventually exhaust ... id like something a tad beefier, but not so loud its annoying on long rides. Again, ill drive it stock for some time and decide which direction id like to go.

Windshield ... im up in the air about this! I definitely dont want a fullface, again ill decide after im a few miles deep. I dont expect any long rides so it may not be an issue. Im thinking 100mi trips would even be a lot for me!

Old 06-03-2011, 09:17 PM
blacknsilver
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Fatbob is a great choice and they handle well. I think you will like it. I'm 6'3" 235 and have forward controls which fit well. The stock seat is actually pretty comfy to me. I put a solo streetbob seat on but not as comfy but like the looks. Good luck on your decision.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:30 PM
switzead
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 6'0" and my feet are just barely flat at a stop, so at your height you probably wont need the tall boy seat.

I too want some mid mounts some time soon as well, but for around town the foward controls are just right for me. Check out this thread for part numbers. Apperantly it will work even though my local HD said it wouldn't.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-mid-pegs.html

I installed the VnH big shots staggered in black along with the VnH Duke air cleaner and VnH FuelPak. Loud but not TOO loud, good low end torque. I cant complain. The stock pipes are like kittens. Even my wife made fun of the sound. "I thought Harley's were supposed to be louder?"

I have yet to see a FB with a windshield. Down here on the coast where the wind blows 24X7 a windshield would be nice but just havent go around to dropping $400 for one yet.

The bars look cool but can be a pain in the back over time. I added the 2" spacers to get them up and a little closer to me. Check them out on this link.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-mid-pegs.html

I love my FB. I initially wanted the StreetBob, but got a good deal on my FB and can't see myself on anything else.

Welcome aboard and I'm sure you will like it.

My FB page
http://home.roadrunner.com/~aswitzer/09%20Fatbob.htm

Old 06-03-2011, 09:41 PM
The13Fallen
Advanced

Well I have owned several harleys, and I love my fat bob. It has plenty of giddy up and does handle well, screw the mid controls. Im also 6'2" and weight in at 251. You will be very pleased with the fatty. I love my lapera bare bones seats, and I go to texas and back to tennessee alot and it does not bother me. I like the fat bob so much cause it really fits into several of the families. touring front brakes and head light from the road glide, soft tail bobtail fender, and dyna suspension

Old 06-03-2011, 11:48 PM
CMC
Road Captain

I love my fat bob but if you dig the heritage just get that. What is it, another $4k? Plus you can probably get a cherry one used. Seriously.

Old 06-04-2011, 08:14 AM
rsarno
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CMC
I love my fat bob but if you dig the heritage just get that. What is it, another $4k? Plus you can probably get a cherry one used. Seriously.
Id like to be able to buy a new Heritage, and its just really not in my comfort zone. Id rather not push it.

Also wifey is cool with this only because i have shown responsibility with the financing. Im currently smoking, and have decided i will quit smoking and use what i spend monthly on cigs, as my limit for a bike. Fits perfect for a new FB .. but the heritage would be a stretch.

And yea, im one of those "im a tough guy .. when my wife lets me!" type of bro's i guess LOL

Old 06-04-2011, 08:27 AM
GJW1911
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I test drove all of the bikes the dealer had in the Dyna family and liked the fat bob above all.
I to stand at 6 ft 3 in and about 235, and the mid mounted controls on the other dyna's were unbearble (legs too long I guess).
After riding the wide glide, super glide and street bob the Fat bob just fit me, handles extreemly well, rides very nice on the highway and I love the looks of the fat front tire and aluminum rims (not real crazy about the rear fender though)!

Old 06-04-2011, 08:50 AM
Deftone5
Advanced

I'm 6' 230 and the Fat Bob is fine, in fact I didn't get a Harley for 10 years because the short tanks on bikes like the Fat Boy didn't give me enough of a stretched out feel.

My advice, get the Fat Bob and hold off on any plans for changing it until you actually have it and ride it. For example, I'm shorter than you but I actually need an extra 2" past where the forward controls are.

Also, I wanted bags and ordered them before I even picked up the bike, then when I got the bike I realized they would cover the bike more than I wanted them to and I returned them and everything else I got beforehand and added things as they occurred to me.

To compensate for the bags I got a really nice 12" tool bag, a super nice custom fitted solo bag (both from the excellent Garage Leathers) and I put on an old school sissy bar to toss a bag on if I need more room. The upside to that I realized, is that no saddle bag before would ever would my laptop but the sissy bar bag has no problem and since in the past I rarely filled both bags, the solo bag was what I really needed for day to day and it looks waaaayyyy cooler.

Go with the Fat Bob if you are a big dude and like the look then save the customizing till you get a few miles and spend some time on this forum, you'll get plenty of advice, ideas and best of all help.

Last edited by Deftone5; 06-04-2011 at 08:53 AM.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:40 AM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,082 Likes on 1,909 Posts

You can add mid pegs with no real problem.The only issue is your heat shield may contact the peg mount and need to be dented a bit or get shield for Fat Bob with mid mounts. I added them to my '07 Wide Glide and love the fact that you can move around a bit.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:12 AM
RottVet
6th Gear

Hey Rsarno, I think you will really like the Fatbob. I am a total newbie- new to this forum, new HD owner, and an almost new (<1000mi) 08 Fatbob rider. I am 6.0 ft, 200 lbs, and my Fatbob fits me well. It has mid-controls, which being a former beemer driver, is preferable for me. VH 2 into 1 Big Radius pipes, Drak a/c, and fuelpack were immediate addtions, although the pak may be replaced with a Thundermax auto-tune. I would NOT recommend HD's "sport" windsheild due to extreme turbuence to your head and helmet- this side effect almost scrambled what few brain cells I have left! Must say that owning an HD has almost been a religous experience for me- don't know if it is the dark side, brightside or neutral-color side, but the 'bob has certainly gotten on my good side! Best wishes and hope you enjoy yours as much as I am enjoying mine!

Quick Reply: Fat Bob for a beginner?