Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone know the proper torque..?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 11:09 AM
2010fxdwgrider
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know the proper torque..?

Just replaced the tire on the front wheel of my 2010 WG. Owner's manual doesn't have any specs for what the torque should be on the front axle nut or the bolts for the clamp at the base of the exhaust side fork that holds the axle on the end opposite the axle nut. Does anyone know what the correct torque is for these? Thanks in advance.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:19 AM
neocontra
Banned

Last edited by neocontra; 06-25-2011 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Removed incorrect info
Old 06-25-2011, 11:31 AM
ratbob81
Advanced

The front axle nut should be 62-67 ft-lbs. Tighten the front axle cap fastener to 132-180 in-lbs and then the rear to 132-180 in-lbs, and there should be no gap at the front axle cap. Hope that helps..this is from the 2011 Dyna Service manual, should be the same though.

The service manual is the best $60 bucks I have spent on my street bob.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:41 AM
O-Town D
Road Master
Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by ratbob81
"The front axle nut should be 62-67 ft-lbs. Tighten the front axle cap fastener to 132-180 in-lbs and then the rear to 132-180 in-lbs, and there should be no gap at the front axle cap."
Exactly - the '010 Dyna service manual has the same specs. Take careful note of the axle cap when installing: there is a little raised bump on one side of the cap. This cast-in "spacer" faces the rear of the bike so that when you torq the cap as per Ratbob's reply there will be no gap at the front of the cap, and a tiny gap at the rear of the cap. Hope it works out for you.
~

Old 06-25-2011, 05:32 PM
2010fxdwgrider
Intermediate

Thanks, RB & OTD. Appreciate the info.

Old 06-25-2011, 06:50 PM
Aaron 09FXDB
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by O-Town D
Exactly - the '010 Dyna service manual has the same specs. Take careful note of the axle cap when installing: there is a little raised bump on one side of the cap. This cast-in "spacer" faces the rear of the bike so that when you torq the cap as per Ratbob's reply there will be no gap at the front of the cap, and a tiny gap at the rear of the cap. Hope it works out for you.
~

Does anyone know if this was a change in the service manual from 2009 to 2010? Because in the 2009 manual, the diagram shows both the rear (because of the built in spacer) and the front of the axle cap having a GAP. I recently replaced my front forks, and using the torque spec in the manual 10-14 ft-lbs there is a GAP on the front.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:51 PM
O-Town D
Road Master

Originally Posted by Aaron 09FXDB
"Does anyone know if this was a change in the service manual from 2009 to 2010? Because in the 2009 manual, the diagram shows both the rear (because of the built in spacer) and the front of the axle cap having a GAP. I recently replaced my front forks, and using the torque spec in the manual 10-14 ft-lbs there is a GAP on the front."
Double-check your manual to see if it lists a torque sequence (front screw first, then rear screw). If so, then there should not be a gap at the front; if not, then you are probably ok as is. Of course, you can always check with your favorite service dep't for clarification. Sorry can't be of more help; thanks for serving.
~

Old 06-25-2011, 08:08 PM
Aaron 09FXDB
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by O-Town D
Double-check your manual to see if it lists a torque sequence (front screw first, then rear screw). If so, then there should not be a gap at the front; if not, then you are probably ok as is. Of course, you can always check with your favorite service dep't for clarification. Sorry can't be of more help; thanks for serving.
~
Rear is where the built in spacer goes....rear tightened first then front. What is confusing, is there is a Diagram in the service manual with an arrow for the rear saying Spacer...and an arrow for the Front saying "GAP". That would tell me there should be a gap there.

I honestly don't trust my dealership. My bikes been serviced numerous times there, and I took delivery of it there (bought through military sales). Well.....when I went to remove the Axle cap....a few days ago to install my new forks and dual brakes setup (from Howard at Motorcycle Metal).....the "rear" axle cap bolts...were literally finger tight...and the front...just barely past finger tight. And this bike has been Virginia Saftey inspected 3 times, and serviced numerous by the same dealership. Needless to say, I don't have much faith. I may stop at another service dept or just make some calls and ask around.

If there's any fellow 2009 FXDB owners out there, I'd appreciate hearing what your Front Axle cap looks like. Thanks.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:24 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Not to hijack but what size allen wrench do the axle cap bolts take?

Old 06-25-2011, 10:24 PM
O-Town D
Road Master

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
"Not to hijack but what size allen wrench do the axle cap bolts take?"

5MM works for me...
~

Quick Reply: Anyone know the proper torque..?