Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake caliper rebuild kit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 04:47 PM
Dyna_in_the_works
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake caliper rebuild kit?

Looks like my 05 FXDXI calipers need a good rebuild. My question to you all is who makes a good rebuild kid, whose parts and what co cleaners should I use in the rebuild and what issues should I look out for when I get this started? I've read up on the process and feel pretty comfortable with it, but never having done it or seen it done in person im always open for some good advice.
Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:28 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

i use HD kit works just fine but howard on motorcyclemetals website has a great how to. just be sure the area that the pistons sit in is very clean, brake cleaner (non clorinated) works grat and a bit of ATF on the seals before install... thats about it

Old 06-29-2011, 06:38 PM
Dyna_in_the_works
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JRK5892
i use HD kit works just fine but howard on motorcyclemetals website has a great how to. just be sure the area that the pistons sit in is very clean, brake cleaner (non clorinated) works grat and a bit of ATF on the seals before install... thats about it
Thanks for the tip... how careful do I need to be with the brake cleaner, I've seen where a couple guys have just put the calipers (and parts) in a bucket and dumped the brake cleaner in and let em sit. Is that hard on the caliper finish, mine are wrinkle black.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:19 PM
shiftace
Road Warrior
Received 709 Likes on 326 Posts

take care popping the pistons out so you don't knick or gall one of them. Use an old pad between to catch em. Once it's completely disassembled hold the caliper in a rag and flush out the bores and inside of the pad mount areas with some brake cleaner sprays. I never wipe the bores out with a rag, I always use compressed air, if not from a tank then from a can. Rags can leave lint or residue and cause a piston to stick or scratch a bore. I use the stock ol H-D rebuild kits since factory parts always seem to work and fit right.....THe biggest b1tch of the entire job is bleeding all of the air out of the system once it's done..That fights me every time.