Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear turn signal short standoff mod w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 09:53 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Rear turn signal short standoff mod w/pics

Finally I got rid of the ugly rear turn standoffs, stick out way too far. I was going to get the shorter standoff from dealer but local HD didn't have it them stock. While I am waiting, got another idea, similar to what I did to my front turns relocation. Took the old standoffs off, put a 2 1/2 bolt with 2 nuts so I can adjust to level, rubber boots covers the bolts, it looks pretty good to me. Some pics to share, feel free to ask questions.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:25 PM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 128auto
Finally I got rid of the ugly rear turn standoffs, stick out way too far. I was going to get the shorter standoff from dealer but local HD didn't have it them stock. While I am waiting, got another idea, similar to what I did to my front turns relocation. Took the old standoffs off, put a 2 1/2 bolt with 2 nuts so I can adjust to level, rubber boots covers the bolts, it looks pretty good to me. Some pics to share, feel free to ask questions.

Looks like that will work.

If you are still interested in short stand-offs, I bought some 3/4" long ones from krushmotosports on ebay. They, of course, will cover that oval recess.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:32 PM
SBR
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice....I like the look.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:08 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member

I cover the half oval with black vinyl tape for now, this mod is temporary, I will cut the stock chrome standoffs 1 1/2" shorter next week, will post pictures later. Thanks bud!

Originally Posted by HemiOrange
Looks like that will work.

If you are still interested in short stand-offs, I bought some 3/4" long ones from krushmotosports on ebay. They, of course, will cover that oval recess.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:07 AM
drnk_n_publick
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks fantastic.

I used HD Duece standoffs on mine. Had to slightly modify them to get them to work but they look much better than the stockers.

Last edited by drnk_n_publick; 07-10-2011 at 12:10 AM.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:03 AM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 128auto
I cover the half oval with black vinyl tape for now, this mod is temporary, I will cut the stock chrome standoffs 1 1/2" shorter next week, will post pictures later. Thanks bud!
I ordered an extra set of stock stand-offs (eBay) with the intention of cutting them down to mount them directly to a new fender I was building. Then I saw the 3/4" ones and ordered them later.

I just took the short ones to the file and belt sander today to make the mounting surface flat and keep them from rotating when bolted to the new fender as they were made entirely different from the longer versions that I had. The recessed area that you are using will hold the stem in place, but the longer stem, if trimmed, due to the decreasing arc of the stem, will be smaller where it mounts to the strut's recessed area, creating a gap of about 1/4". Not a big deal, but just a heads up.

I like what you are doing with the rubber boots and bought some to make my front signal stand-offs look a bit more factory. Thanks for that idea!

You have done some good looking mods, 128auto! I like your style.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:09 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member

Thanks for the heads up dude, your help is always appreciated. Although I like my front signal covered with the boots, the back turns don't look right cause they look much better with the chrome standoffs, the oval access shouldn't be showed for a clean look. I just noticed that the stock WG has the shorter one, I saw one on the road the other day, that's what I like to be on my SB. By the way, we have trouble getting parts from States since I live in Vancouver BC, UPS and Fedex charge massive broker and fee, I have set up a mail box in Blaine WA but have to drive 45mins + border lineup to pick my my order, I do that sometimes with a big order not very often though. I really don't mind riding miles to get my order but the border lineup these days is crazy, every canadian goes to US for shopping due to strong currency. Talk to you soon, thanks again!

Originally Posted by HemiOrange
I ordered an extra set of stock stand-offs (eBay) with the intention of cutting them down to mount them directly to a new fender I was building. Then I saw the 3/4" ones and ordered them later.

I just took the short ones to the file and belt sander today to make the mounting surface flat and keep them from rotating when bolted to the new fender as they were made entirely different from the longer versions that I had. The recessed area that you are using will hold the stem in place, but the longer stem, if trimmed, due to the decreasing arc of the stem, will be smaller where it mounts to the strut's recessed area, creating a gap of about 1/4". Not a big deal, but just a heads up.

I like what you are doing with the rubber boots and bought some to make my front signal stand-offs look a bit more factory. Thanks for that idea!

You have done some good looking mods, 128auto! I like your style.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:29 AM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks good!! I did something similar before I did the Street Glide bar. I used a chrome 1/4" or 3/8" spacer. I didn't cover the front hole and ran the wires through it. It's amazing the difference it makes bringing the sigs in like that. I didn't like the short stand offs either and this cost me like $5

Last edited by JaronB; 07-10-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:35 AM
RDFXDF
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looks good, pretty much like the stock Fat Bob tail lights.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:43 AM
TOMMAY
Stellar HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Got a kit from Harley a few years ago with the shorter standoffs. Looks better but still has enough standoff to hook a bungee cord on to secure cargo when you're traveling.

Quick Reply: Rear turn signal short standoff mod w/pics