Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 SuperGlide rear cylinder misfire HELP plz.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 01:59 AM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by missedem
I am starting to think that I should have kept my carbureted bike. I love my new bike but so much electrical makes me nervous about fixing future issues. Ill look forward to seeing how the OP's experience turned out.
You and I both! I've had so many problems this year that I can seldom ride. Seems I'm always waiting for a new replacement part to arrive, then it doesn't fix the problem. I order another sensor or whatever, wait for it to arrive, it doesn't solve the problem, repeat, repeat.....

My honeymoon with this bike ended about 9 months ago, but I have way too much money invested to give up yet.

Lately I've been checking out Craigslist and eBay for another bike, just to ride while I continue trying to get mine running right.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:06 AM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by HemiOrange
You and I both! I've had so many problems this year that I can seldom ride. Seems I'm always waiting for a new replacement part to arrive, then it doesn't fix the problem. I order another sensor or whatever, wait for it to arrive, it doesn't solve the problem, repeat, repeat.....

My honeymoon with this bike ended about 9 months ago, but I have way too much money invested to give up yet.

Lately I've been checking out Craigslist and eBay for another bike, just to ride while I continue trying to get mine running right.
Good luck ...its sad when you dump a bunch of money in your bike as we all do and then cant keep it running right. HD used to be rebuildable pretty much forever . Hope with all the electrical probs. that they didnt start designing bikes for the lowest common denominator. Not everyone has the money to get a new bike every two years.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:21 PM
Papa Georgio
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"UPDATE" I'm 99.9% sure it's the ECM. Fortunately Ive got a buddy who has an 06 Street Bob that's let me try his parts to trouble shoot. We've tried fuel injectors, ignition coil, spark plugs & wires, and metered all the wiring, including ground wires to the ECM, which all check out good. So it looks like I'm going to eat it and have to go with a new ECM. I'm going to have to find out if they can program a new ECM without having to take the bike to the dealership and they charge me labor for changing the old one out, which is already off the bike. Cheapest new ECM I've found on the net from Harley is around $350. Does anyone know what the download/program will cost, that the dealership has to do? Would a reflash even be an option and if so cost? Any suggestions or advice would greatly appreciated.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:32 PM
Geoff Howard
Stage I
Default backfire,tacho jumping.rough running

on my 87 evo fxstc,ultima ign ,big cam ,heads pipes and s,s e carb .run rough when under load ,cruising on 60 mph was just ok ,checked plugs coil fuel supply all good battery 3 months old seemed ok .but then ... i disconected the coil and thought i would see how long it would crank ,how long and how fast .ok all good till the fourth time it stoped .nothing no dash lights nothing dead as a door nail .removrd the seat and found a loose earth lead at the battery cleaned the terminals retensioned and wow felt like it had just been dynoed,no miss better accel and no miss at eny rev range, so before you spend your money on ign modules and parts ,harleys hate to have shitty power supplys to elec igns hope this helps cheers geoff

Old 02-27-2012, 12:13 AM
onemyndseye
Tourer

Dont have any real good input here... just thought Id say - if I were looking into replacing the stock ECM at 350$+ I think i would look into one of the tuners that are a direct ECM replacement. Like the Thundermax isnt it? Youll only be a couple of 100 more into it and have something better in the end...

just my .02$

Old 03-20-2012, 01:21 PM
J_T
4th Gear
Default 2012 Custom 1200 DYING! 1250 miles!

My bike did similar; but seems permanent- I can't do anything to get the rear cylinder going. What sucks worse, I'm oversea mil without the normal tech support... 230 miles after 1000 mile servicing it is throwing P0264 and P0154... the 154 I think is from the 264; unless harley shuts the entire cylinder down if the O2 is inactive? Unplugged the fuel injector- got P0263&P0264 so it isn't an open in the wiring/fuel injector. Spark looks great (pulled plug to check). Put in fuel inj cleaner/water treatment... tried fuel system lubricant; nothing fixes it. Wiggled every wire and harness section I could find, no joy. Out driving trying to get cleaner thru, nothing different on bumps etc. It is horrible under powered; got to rev high to start out in 1st. It started on a highway ride; smooth accell and speed. Do injectors fail like this??? The rear cylinder and exhaust pipe are cool to touch after 20 minutes idle or street riding. Only heard harley is bad at warranty for us, we pay cash and seek reimbursement... waiting for car sales company to get back on what I should do, will see how well it works. Any ideas?

Last edited by J_T; 03-20-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:54 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Papa Georgio
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My 07 Dyna Super Glide has a major issue with the rear cylinder misfiring/dropping off...I made and appointment with HD and dropped it off explaining to them the issues, "which started not long after a tank lift and billet headlight install". They called the next day and said ready for pick up, $81. I thought too easy and asked what was performed and they stated that they replaced the spark plugs, which obviously I could have done if I had thought it was that...Now it drops off after about 2 seconds of starting instead of after warm up.

At this point I'm so pissed off at the HD dealership since I spent $81 for nothing! Since I find them incompetent and don't particularly like giving them money for nothing I decided to try and trouble shoot on my own before I take it to a different dealership...

I'm running out of options so I thought maybe I had pulled something loose during the tank lift and billet headlight installation, since it all started shortly thereafter...
Originally Posted by Papa Georgio
"UPDATE" I'm 99.9% sure it's the ECM. Fortunately Ive got a buddy who has an 06 Street Bob that's let me try his parts to trouble shoot. We've tried fuel injectors, ignition coil, spark plugs & wires, and metered all the wiring, including ground wires to the ECM, which all check out good. So it looks like I'm going to eat it and have to go with a new ECM. I'm going to have to find out if they can program a new ECM without having to take the bike to the dealership and they charge me labor for changing the old one out, which is already off the bike. Cheapest new ECM I've found on the net from Harley is around $350. Does anyone know what the download/program will cost, that the dealership has to do? Would a reflash even be an option and if so cost? Any suggestions or advice would greatly appreciated.
Though I feel your pain, had you returned the bike IMMEDIATELY to the dealer, you could have been riding, this past 7 months. Instead, you still have the problem, and you still refuse to pay a professional to fix what you admittedly likely caused, yourself.

You asked your dealer to correct an intermittent problem, based on your description of the symptoms. Then, instead of test riding it, you trailered it home. When you discovered that you still had the problem, you lost control of yourself over $81, figuring you and your friends could fix it cheaper, over the internet.

We often hear: "I've modified my bike, and now it won't run right."
Later, we often hear: "My dealer is incompetent."

You have lost more than 1/2-year's use of your bike; depreciation and insurance have perhaps cost you more than the price of a professional diagnosis and repair, including parts. You might want to rethink your strategy, just a little.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:51 PM
U Turn
Stage I
Angry rear cylinder stumble

I have been battling the same thing for 6 months. 06 Dyna with a Screaming Eagle race tuner and Vance n Hines pipes. At 50,000 miles started miss firing rear cylinder when it gets hot. Thought it was a fuel issue at first so I replaced everything in the tank. (Stupid) but it wasn't throwing any codes and at first it felt like it was starving for fuel.

Since it seems to be a heat issue, so I think, I decided to change the heat sensors one on the head and one on the cylinder. It ran good for 75 mile ride. Second time out when it was 90 degrees it started kicking real bad.

The strangest aspect is while it is bucking and kicking intermittently going down the highway if you go into a right hand bank it smooths out and runs fine like a wire is reconnected. ?????

After the last issue it finally threw a code rear cylinder miss fire. What the hell buy a new coil, plugs and wires, wrong answer.

New plugs new wires new coil same problem. At this point I am happy I have old kickers with carbs to ride. Anybody out there have a magic wand? Maybe junk the computer and install a carb!

Old 03-09-2020, 12:02 AM
TheAds
Stage IV
Default Any solutions found?

Hi U Turn - did you ever solve your bike issue?

Old 03-09-2020, 07:35 AM
John CC
HDF Community Team
Received 796 Likes on 574 Posts

Don't hold your breath for an answer. That was his one and only post. He waited about 15 minutes for an answer and hasn't been back since.

Quick Reply: 07 SuperGlide rear cylinder misfire HELP plz.