Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel guage, "remaining" miles, mileage.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 04:11 AM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 105 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Fuel guage, "remaining" miles, mileage.....

first off 2010 FXDC

second , 2 inch tank lift...5 gal tank

Question..Is the remaining miles (eg r 102) in anyway connected to or reliant on input from the fuel guage or the fuel guage float/sender, or is it a calculated number from miles ridden vs fuel consumption?

Reason for asking is that after putting in my 2 in tank lift, i was expecting a difference in fuel guage reading, but wasnt sure if the remaining mileage would be affected or not. Trouble is that my mileage on the Odo gets to about 100, with a remaining of about 50...and i get about 50 before the idiot light comes on, meaning i am getting only about 150 miles to the tank, which aint right. when i refill its "around" a full tank that i put in (+/- 5% i guess)

So I am either getting crap mileage, which i dont think is the problem as the bike is running fine, or something is way more outa whack with the fuel guage/mileage computer, Odo...something just isnt adding up for me.

anyone else see this or have any ideas how to resolve it?

Old 07-26-2011, 05:33 AM
cjlandry
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I lifted my tank, my fuel light started coming on at around 100 miles and it starts showing low fuel (no miles remaining on the countdown timer) at around 110 or 120. Definitely fuel gauge related, though I think miles remaining is calculated on fuel level and average mileage from the past.

I carried a gallon of gas in my bag and ran it all the way out, to see how far I can actually go on a tank. The tank lift cost me a bit of range, but not enough to be concerned about. Started "starving for fuel" at around 185, where it went to around 210 before the lift. That's due to the positioning of the fuel pickup.

Personally, I think the fuel gauge and countdown are useless, and I plan to install resistors to disable them. I go by mileage.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:11 AM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 105 Likes on 71 Posts

I'd like to go by mileage myself, but all my numbers look so out of whack now that i don't know what the mileage should be versus what the instruments are telling me.
Might do as you did, carry a gallon gas until it runs out just to find out what my actual mileage is.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:51 AM
SteveO-ll
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When mine reads empty and the light goes on I usually only only can put right at 3 gal of gas, so that leaves me with another 1.5 gal in the tank. On my last road trip I averaged 55 miles to a gal, now with that said, I usually only ride 150 mile range before getting gas anyway because I can use a P-break, smoke and a drink, besides a stretch of the legs.

I don't rely on the gauge or mileage, as it all is according to the way I am riding at different intervals throughout a ride.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:38 AM
cjlandry
Road Master

FWIW, the service manual has the wiring diagram in the back, and it even shows the resistance values at full and empty. Should be a really easy fix to disable them, but I've been too busy, working 12 hour days, 7 days a week, and have many other ongoing projects when I get a little time off of work.

I will post about it when I do it. I have a bunch of resistors, because I often have to use them to tune generator controls on drilling rigs. Just a matter of taking the time to do the job.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:44 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,939 Likes on 2,294 Posts

Here is a link with More Info on the subject.

Kevin
HDForums Scavenger Hunt Contest

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 07-26-2011, 11:47 AM
RonRock
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it possible to use a resistor to "fix" the fuel gauge to read correctly after a tank lift is installed? I don't know much about electronics, but it seems to me that since the resistance is a known value maybe we could check it after a tank lift and use a resistor to make it correct.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:01 AM
cjlandry
Road Master

Originally Posted by RonRock
Is it possible to use a resistor to "fix" the fuel gauge to read correctly after a tank lift is installed? I don't know much about electronics, but it seems to me that since the resistance is a known value maybe we could check it after a tank lift and use a resistor to make it correct.
No. It's a proportional thing, not linear, since the lift. The best you might be able to do is adjust the float to work better. Gauge isn't accurate in the stock position, and mine was one of the better ones. I just don't want the gauge or the idiot light. Countdown timer would be nice, but still unnecessary. I can still read an odometer.

I've had bikes in the past with neither a gauge nor a speedometer. I never ran out of gas. Of course, it had a manual reserve. I much prefer that to any of the new stuff, but the fuel injection is so nice!

Old 07-27-2011, 11:12 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,939 Likes on 2,294 Posts

My "miles til empty" MTE works fine on my 2011 Ultra with a 1.5" tank lift.

The low fuel light comes on when the MTE says 25-30 miles left.

When the MTE is at 0, there is still about a gallon of usable fuel left in the tank (electronic reserve)

Overall on the 6 gallon tank I am losing about 1/4 of a gallon of usable fuel capacity.

Kevin
HDForums Scavenger Hunt Contest

Old 07-27-2011, 11:18 PM
The Dean
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know. At 140 I'm looking for a bathroom anyway so might as well gas up. I know I have 30 minutes either way to find one.

Quick Reply: Fuel guage, "remaining" miles, mileage.....