Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

70900100 Speedo/Tach

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 10:24 AM
ll Legion ll
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 70900100 Speedo/Tach

Just found this in the latest HD parts catalog, 4" Gauge.

Anybody know if HD made a gauge size change between the '10/'11 FXDWG and the '12 FXDWG? It doesn't make sense that this new gauge would fit the '12 but not the '11...

***EDIT***

Thread has turned into a call to send an email to HD "Suggesting a new part" to: H-DIdeaSubmissionsSuggestion@harley-davidson.com for pre 2012 dyna's. I put the mail address here to make it easier to find.

Last edited by ll Legion ll; 08-30-2011 at 05:46 AM. Reason: Thread changed direction
Old 08-03-2011, 04:48 PM
Number15
Advanced

I'm interested in the answer to this as well. I have a 10wg, also with the 4" speedo. This product claims to only fit the 12wg. I asked my dealer if there were any differences in the 12, and was told the only difference is the motor and the oil cap. The tank and dash console are the same as the earlier models. I can't think of any reason why this speedo (which claims to be plug and play) shouldn't work in the 10/11 wg, unless maybe the wiring harness is different? Any of you guys tried it yet?

Old 08-03-2011, 05:31 PM
rmecca06
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I looked into this a little already, the size is the same, but i looked up the part numbers on the wire harnesses in the console between the 2010 wide glide and the 2012 wide glide and they are different.

The only thing i can think of is that the 2012 wideglides display a tach and have a gear indicator built in.

So I was hoping someone would buy one and try it out so i could know if it works!

Old 08-03-2011, 07:10 PM
KungPowMinchow
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

another thing that i notiiced is that you use your horn button to cycle through the display on the gauge as well

Old 08-04-2011, 09:50 AM
Number15
Advanced

Originally Posted by rmecca06
I looked into this a little already, the size is the same, but i looked up the part numbers on the wire harnesses in the console between the 2010 wide glide and the 2012 wide glide and they are different.

The only thing i can think of is that the 2012 wideglides display a tach and have a gear indicator built in.

So I was hoping someone would buy one and try it out so i could know if it works!
I also called the MC, and all they could tell me after "consulting with multiple techs" is that "we have guys testing all these parts, and there's a reason why they only list certain models as compatible--we just don't have access to what those reasons are." Quite helpful. Problem is, this happens all the time. The HD LED headlamp isn't supposed to fit the stock WG bucket or the add-on 5 3/4" bullet bucket, and it actually fits both beautifully.
You are correct, the 2012 WG stock speedo supposedly also displays tach and gear indicator as well, where the 10/11 models don't...however, I upgraded mine already with a Dakota Digital speedo--straight plug and play--and that speedo also displays RPM, gear position, and low fuel and the information displays just fine--so that information is still transmitted over the stock 2010/11 WG wiring harness, I would assume?
It's an expensive gamble to take, but I still can't see a reason why this wouldn't work from any research I've done. I don't know...maybe there are some other features that wouldn't work?

Old 08-04-2011, 09:54 AM
Number15
Advanced

...and by the way, I was able to see and compare both this new speedo and the stock 2010 one side by side at my dealer, and the electrical connection point, anchor screws, and physical dimensions seem to look identical.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:37 PM
rmecca06
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Number15
...and by the way, I was able to see and compare both this new speedo and the stock 2010 one side by side at my dealer, and the electrical connection point, anchor screws, and physical dimensions seem to look identical.

Thats good info right there, i wasnt sure if the connector was the same on the back of the cluster, bc according to the dealers parts catalogue the harness ARE different....

I might try to ride to the dealer and just test it out in the parking lot if they let me

Old 08-04-2011, 12:48 PM
ll Legion ll
Advanced

So it sounds like the gauge will fit, but it might not 'work' fully....

I'll have to investigate the stealership return policy before I give this a test...

Old 08-04-2011, 01:13 PM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 132 Posts

Harley updated/redid the CAN-BUS electrical system for the 2012 model year. That would be my guess why the gauge will not work. Street Bob guys are in the same boat with the 4" gauge.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:49 PM
ll Legion ll
Advanced

Originally Posted by craigffb
Harley updated/redid the CAN-BUS electrical system for the 2012 model year.
Damn, that's not the kind of news I wanted to hear...

Quick Reply: 70900100 Speedo/Tach