Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about abs and factory alarm on 09 low rider

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 05:07 AM
KevenW
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about abs and factory alarm on 09 low rider

Just bought an 09 low rider. Has factory alarm, when I cut out off the blinkers will flash a few times. If the key is not close to the bike and I move it the blinkers will flash but no sound.I figured the horn should blow? Can somebody please describe how it works?

The bottom of the tachsays and has a little speedo with an arrow above it.I assume it's for cruise. I know it has no cruise, there's nothing on the throttle.how do I know if it has abs? Neither lights up when turning on key.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:51 AM
Morris9982
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In regards to the alarm, the turn signals will flash when you turn off the bike to let you know the alarm system is armed. When you move the bike without the fob, the signals will flash indicating the alarm has activated. The signals should continue to flash for about 30 seconds after you stop moving the bike which indicates the bike has exited the alarm mode. As you probably know, the bike will not start without the fob being in close proximity to the bike.

There will be no audio warning unless you add some type of siren/horn to the system. The factory system does not include any type of audio warning, only the flashing of the turn signals. If you want an audio warning, you will need to add one yourself. The two options I am aware of are to add the Harley siren which includes a battery backup so it will work if someone cuts the battery cables and could also include a paging feature to notify you if someone is messing with your bike or to purchase a buzzer/siren from someplace like Radio Shack. The Radio Shack option is much less expensive but does not have the battery back up or the paging option.

If you do add a siren, it will go off anytime you move the bike without the fob, even in your own garage, and will continue to go off for about 30 seconds or until you bring the fob close to the bike.

In regards to ABS, I do not know if ABS was available on your model or not. If it does have ABS, there will be a black ring on the left side of the front wheel where the wheel bearing is located with a black wire that goes up the left fork. This black ring is the sensor for the front wheel ABS. If your bike does not have the black ring and wire, it does not have ABS. The light may just be in the speedometer because they use that speedometer on a number of models some of which may have ABS and/or cruise control.

Tip: Ensure you keep fresh batteries in your fobs as if they go bad you will have issues starting your bike. Also, learn how to override the alarm by entering your security code using the turn signal buttons. You should also change the code to your own number so only you know the number. Write the number down and carry it with you so you won't forget it and practice starting the bike with this procedure. Your owner's manual should tell you how to reset the number and how to start the bike with the code. If you do not have the owner's manual, have your dealer order you one as it will have this and other useful information. There are also posts on here that describe the procedure to program the number and how to start the bike.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:05 AM
KevenW
Tourer

Thanks Morris, great info. The radio shack alarm sounds simple and cheap. Wasnt aware of the alarm override.never thought of that. Previous owner is supposed to be getting the owners manual to my brother. Thanks again!

Old 08-09-2011, 07:08 AM
KevenW
Tourer

Oh and I don't have the wire on the fork.I think I did see the same bike with abs on craigslist. Not sure though. Mine makes a slight humming/buzzing sound when any front brake at all is applied.not sure what it is...

Old 08-09-2011, 07:13 AM
markkoby
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Thanks again Morris, I also bought a 09 low rider few months back and same concerns.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:27 AM
KevenW
Tourer

Mark, your front brake hums too?

Old 08-09-2011, 07:31 AM
markkoby
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KevenW
Mark, your front brake hums too?
Its not a hum sound, more like mechanical sound. Like it is power assisted

Old 08-09-2011, 07:44 AM
KevenW
Tourer

Ok that's a good way to describe it. Makes me feel better, just doesn't sound like any I've heard before.guess it's normal. Maybe somebody else will confirm.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:47 AM
KevenW
Tourer

Seems like the alarm would use the horn. Guess it's a chance to sell something else though.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:00 AM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 132 Posts

2012 is the first year ABS is available on a Dyna....you don't have it.

Quick Reply: Question about abs and factory alarm on 09 low rider