Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old vs New Superglide

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 12:06 PM
Rampant
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old vs New Superglide

Since I'm waiting on the owner of this TC bike to get back to me, I stumbled on some nice older evo bikes.

How do Evo dynas run compared to the TC bikes?

Looking at something like a 97 FXDX. Are the frames different? I'm a big dude and I like some space

Just looking for some feedback from those who have ridden both. Whatever I buy is gonna be with me for at least a decade.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:59 PM
Phillymiked
Cruiser

I just got a 2000 fxdx and love it, but I think the fxdx started in 99. I could be wrong though.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:32 PM
Rampant
Tourer

just wondering how the evo dyna frames stack up against the TC dyna frames. Bigger? more or less stable? Etc.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:54 PM
Gigawitz
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can offer my very biased opinion here:

As far as EVO V.S. TC, the EVO is a more reliable choice period.. As far as the frames go, I believe all Dyna based frames were similar until 2006 where they somehow improved them to make them more rigid..

If you are trying to decide between the motor, EVO or TC, again I am biased because of real world experience... I have many EVO's that are rock solid and only one TC bike (2000 Dyna).

That TC bike has stranded me twice due to mechanical issues I could not solve on the road and I am a mechanic... I don't like TC motors.. Too many bearing, crank runout issues not to mention the crappy cam chain setup...

To me, the whole twin cam idea has failed because the only way having two cams could be an advantage is if you had 4 valve heads.. Otherwise, you are just adding additional fail points, more parts, and extra weight to the valvetrain. I firmly believe the TC motor is inferior to the EVO for reliability as well as making real power by modding it.. It is also more expensive to mod a TC motor V.S an EVO..

I know I am about to get flamed for this post but I am talking about real world experience here with not only my bikes, but those that ride with me and I ride a lot..

People that are warranty types, always want to have a new bike so the dealer can keep it running for them have no choice but to run a TC setup.. People that want a bike than can go cross country and make it there and are willing to maintain it themselves will be much better off running an EVO based bike...

Flame on!!

Old 12-07-2012, 05:45 PM
Rampant
Tourer

good to know. My main draw to the TC is fuel injection. I'm not a fan of carbs having had a few carb bikes (granted, japanese) that were a pain to start, took forever to warm up, and just annoying. I've had people tell me that a well setup carb will start and run just about as easy as FI, but that wasn't my experience.

And I'm a guy who will ride in winter so I'm not a fan of just sitting in the cold waiting for something to be rideable before going to work. If I can fix that... I wouldn't care either way.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:42 PM
mud
muderator
Received 8,732 Likes on 2,058 Posts

Originally Posted by Gigawitz

I can offer my very biased opinion here:

... I have many EVO's that are rock solid and only one TC bike (2000 Dyna).

That TC bike has stranded me twice due to mechanical issues I could not solve on the road and I am a mechanic... I don't like TC motors.. Too many bearing, crank runout issues not to mention the crappy cam chain setup...

I know I am about to get flamed for this post but I am talking about real world experience here with not only my bikes, but those that ride with me and I ride a lot..

Flame on!!
my twin cam gets the **** beat out of it everyday. real world pedal on the bellhousing.

all day long.

no issues.. period.

so, you have 12 year old twincam, and it stranded you TWICE. in 12 years.

my 7 year old has only stranded me ONCE. dead battery.

three blox from my house.

let me tell you, 600 lbs is a mortarforker to push three blox.

especially when you get to the uphill driveway.,,,,,,,,

Old 12-08-2012, 01:22 AM
Rampant
Tourer

Does anyone know if you can put the superglide sport wheels on a normal superglide? I realize you might have to add a second caliper.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:23 AM
Rampant
Tourer

I ask cause I have a great deal on a normal 05 FXDI superglide but I really prefer the FXDX styling.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:44 AM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I own an '05 FXDI ... I concur that the EFI can be really trouble-free and reliable ...

I like the Evo too, however ... and they can put out some good power ... I rode a friend's '96 Evo Softail for a few weeks and it was easy to overlook the fact that it had 10% less displacement than my Twin Cam ...

I'd go for the FXDX over the newer FXDI ...

Old 12-08-2012, 07:33 AM
Rampant
Tourer

well the FXDX available, some are evo with carb, some are twin cam with carb.

Whichever has the least amount of needed maintenance would win in my book. I'm not afraid to wrench, don't get me wrong, but I like to ride and having to wrench means I'm not riding

Quick Reply: Old vs New Superglide