Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fatbob w/7"headlight needs windshield

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 04:23 PM
Spiro Drummer
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fatbob w/7"headlight needs windshield

I recently installed a 7" (fatboy style) headlight & after taking my 1st 1000mile/1600km road trip, I've decided I need a windshield(although the light itself DOES help cut the wind!!!). Is there a Harley QD windshield that WON'T need to be cut?? I've read the posts showing how to cut a windshield to fit the 7" light. But since I haven't purchased a shield yet, I thought I might be able to save some time.... Can I order a FatBoy shield with FatBob QD mounting hardware????? The stealerships here are TOTALLY clueless as to what i'm talking about..."Why would you change the light on your...." You get the idea...
Any help/ideas would be greatly apprecitated..
I thought about the windvest, but i'm not crazy about the look and the fact that it's not all that detachable.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:25 PM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member
Received 180 Likes on 139 Posts

memphis shades sport shields, many to choose from. i have a del rey for every day use and el paso for early spring and late fall

Old 09-04-2011, 05:18 PM
xantasm
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put a memphis shades demon in clear on mine cause I was running it on my last bike which I had 7" light on. If your bars are bigger than 1" you'll need bigger clamps from them. I still need to decide on mine if I am going to cut it to match my Fatbob twin lights or use one of my LED 7" from my Jeep.

http://www.memphisshades.com/univers...ar-mount/demon

These are the clamps I ordered to fit my 1-1/4 bars and they will work with most of their handlebar two point mount shields. most of their universal fit come with 1" clamps and inserts for 7/8" bars http://www.bikerhaven.net/servlet/th...sh-4%22/Detail

I can post a pic if you like but it doesn't look as good without being trimmed to fit the twin lights or a 7" put in. It gives a really good amount of wind deflection around the rider too. My Dad rode my bike and he says he loves how the lower shield glows orange at night from the turn signals as well lol.

Last edited by xantasm; 09-04-2011 at 05:24 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:17 AM
Spiro Drummer
Tourer

Thanks guys... hadn't checked out the Memphis Shades stuff..
Believe it or not, I kinda like the looks of the HD shields and I'm about to start messing with my bars (ie. risers or complete change) so I really don't want to invest in something that in a month or so may not fit..

Old 09-05-2011, 07:08 AM
Spiro Drummer
Tourer

anybody got any other ideas...??

Old 09-05-2011, 07:27 AM
AFMM3
Road Warrior
Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

I have Fat Bob trees on the Street Bob in my sig pic. I use a Memphis Shades ($87) shield in FLSTC Windshield Hardware. The FLSTC plastic may also fit the FXDF quick disconnect hardware. Actually the Fat Boy plastic might be better as it will have less bottom curve for spot lights. You can go to the dealer and ask to measure stuff. The cheapest way to order Memphis Shades I found was to have the Dealer order it, believe it or not, when you added shipping for on-line purchase, the dealer was cheaper.

Old 09-05-2011, 12:35 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

i cant remember joe's user name (the powder coating guy) but he had a windshield that was cut out for a 7" light that he was offering to sell. you would still need the hardware.

Old 09-05-2011, 12:55 PM
Spiro Drummer
Tourer

I have Fat Bob trees on the Street Bob in my sig pic. I use a Memphis Shades ($87) shield in FLSTC Windshield Hardware. The FLSTC plastic may also fit the FXDF quick disconnect hardware. Actually the Fat Boy plastic might be better as it will have less bottom curve for spot lights. You can go to the dealer and ask to measure stuff. The cheapest way to order Memphis Shades I found was to have the Dealer order it, believe it or not, when you added shipping for on-line purchase, the dealer was cheaper.
Thanks AFFM3. LOVE your bike!!! The FLSTC hardware fit the Fatbob trees???

i cant remember joe's user name (the powder coating guy) but he had a windshield that was cut out for a 7" light that he was offering to sell. you would still need the hardware.
Thanks ynots.. A dude from Michigan got dibs on it...hahaaa!!! But if he renegs I'm ALL over it!!!

Old 09-05-2011, 04:09 PM
AFMM3
Road Warrior
Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

I used 49 mm Kuryakin clamps to mount a Softail Light bar to the front end. I then used FLSTC quick disconnect hardware on the lightbar to mount the FLSTC windshield. I don't see any reason why you couldn't just attach FLSTC quick release hardware to kuryakin clamps and use a FLSTC or FLSTF windshield.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:23 AM
Spiro Drummer
Tourer

bump..