Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Bob gas tank on a WG?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 08:56 PM
machm1969
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street Bob gas tank on a WG?

I bought a '05 street bob gas tank for my '07 WG thinking they were the same, looked pretty close until I went to mount the console. The ignition on my WG is the switch in the console, it looks like the same year street bobs are near the fork. Will the console off a newer street bob with the switch in the console work? Or do I have to just look for a WG tank?

Thanks,

Matt

Last edited by machm1969; 02-12-2013 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:41 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by machm1969
I bought a '05 street bob gas tank for my '07 WG thinking they were the same, looked pretty close until I went to mount the console. The ignition on my WG is the switch in the console, it looks like the same year street bobs are near the fork. Will the console off a newer street bob with the switch in the console work? Or do I have to just look for a WG tank?

Thanks,

Matt
Matt

Couple of things ... FXDB Street Bob was not introduced to the Dyna lineup until 2006 ...

Second ... I think you can mount the FXDWG Wide Glide console including the tank-top ignition switch (so you don't have to relocate the ignition switch to the neck) ...

There's a thread showing how to mount the CVO dash on the Street Bob here ... https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...ll-how-to.html

The key is to ensure the brackets that secure the dash are properly aligned to the console you're using ... see, for example, this ...

There's also a thread on mounting the FXDF Fat Bob dash on a Street Bob here ... https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...e-on-fxdb.html

To ensure the brackets that secure the dash are properly aligned to the FXDF console, you can bend the existing bracket like so ...

... short answer is 'yes' ... it can be done ... just give it a shot ... ask if you have any questions ... if I personally can't respond, there's a good chance there is a forum member who can ...

Good luck, post up your results ...

R/
'Chop

Old 02-13-2013, 09:56 AM
machm1969
Tourer
Default Gas tank

I'm at work today and don't have my camera, but I will do my best to describe what I've got. The street bob tank I've got (I think that;s what it's off of) has a top plate that's rounded at all 4 corners and my WG is squared off at the top like the pic you posted. I thought I read on here somewhere that they '10 and up WG's use the same tank as the street bob? Googling images they look the same. I'm wondering if I can get a console and top plate off a '10 WG if that will work since the ignition is on the console? I actually like that console better. Also wondering if the speedo will fit? My '07 WG speedo measures 4 1/2" across the face. If all else fails I can strip and paint my WG tank, just sick of painting and didn't want to break up a nice set of tins.

Thanks for your help it is greatly appreciated!
Matt

Old 02-13-2013, 10:12 AM
machm1969
Tourer

I thought maybe I could just get the top plate off a street bob, but when I set my console over the hole it didn't quite cover the hole, the hole was just a bit wider.

Thanks,
Matt

Old 02-13-2013, 01:07 PM
machm1969
Tourer

I mispoke earlier, the tank I bought is off an '05 Superglide. I would like to try to get a console off a '10 WG to work. The top plate is the same between an '05 SG and a '10 WG, so I know physically it will bolt up. The remaining questions I have are if my '07 WG speedo will fit in the '10 console and if the idiot lights from my '07 WG console will work? Getting closer!
Thanks,
Matt

Old 02-13-2013, 03:11 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member

Does the "Superglide" tank have a single hole in the center (and there is no fuel filler hole on the right side nor hole for the fuel gage on the left side) ...?

Reason I am asking is my bike started out as an '05 Super Glide ... and that is what my stock tank was like ... the speedometer was located on the top clamp of the handlebar riser ...

You will be short of options if you actually do have a FXDI Super Glide tank ... the fuel filler is in the center ...

I am pretty certain you should be able to figure out a work around if you study a couple of the threads ... there are also threads on replacing the Street Bob dash with the (late style) Wide Glide dash ...

Old 02-13-2013, 04:09 PM
machm1969
Tourer
Default Tank

The tank I have looks just like my WG tank, fuel gauge on left side, filler on the right. The only difference I see between the two is where the top plate mounts. My '07 WG tank is squared off towards the front and the '05 SG is a regular round oval. It can probably be made to work, but I'm afraid to spend $300+ to "hope" that's why I'm hoping to find someone who's done it. The top plate is the same part# between the 05 SG and 2010 WG, it's just a matter of the other stuff.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:58 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member

2010 and later Wide Glides have the smaller 4" diameter speedometer vice the '08-earlier Wide Glides that used the larger 5" diameter speedo ...

If you opt for the '10-later FXDWG dash, you won't be able to use your original speedo ... replacement cost of the speedo is pretty steep (at least $300+ ... up to $500 or so if you bought a combo tach/speedo new at retail) ...

I'm not sure what your options are ... but, just thought I'd point out some info that might be helpful to know ...

R/
'Chop

Old 02-13-2013, 05:35 PM
machm1969
Tourer
Default Thanks!

That info is extremely helpful. I purchased an extra set of tins for my paint job, the tank I bought looked right until I went to mount my console and I discovered the difference. I was hoping to find an easy solution so I don't have to strip and paint another tank, but it looks like stripping and painting my '07 WG tank will be the simplest solution. If anyone is interested, I will have a tank for sale with new perfect basecoat/ clearcoat paint!