Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   S&S Teardrop, how big is it? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/696143-s-and-s-teardrop-how-big-is-it.html)

USMAMule 10-07-2011 02:20 PM

S&S Teardrop, how big is it?

I am contemplating throwing an S&S tear drop A/C on my '10 FXDWG. The ventilator I have on it doesn't let my put my foot on the peg without curving my leg around the back of the A/C. I am 5'9" and I guess if I was taller it wouldn't be an issue, but it's uncomfortable.

I was hoping that I could do something other than the Heavy Breather - as that has become so common place now plus I like the older classic look of the S&S.

Anyone who is around my height, and has the S&S, does the back end of it interfere with your knee position?

Thanks,

USMAMule

missedem 10-07-2011 02:42 PM

It tucks right in. I had one on my last heritage and it worked and looked great. I got the heavy breather because I got a stupid good deal on a clearance the dealer was having. For looks and performance the S&S works well. You can also get a KandN air filter for it making it work even better.

Romeo 10-07-2011 06:31 PM

I'm 5'10" and have no issues with the S&S Teardrop A/C. I had a Kury Hypercharger prior to the S&S, but it stuck out too far when I had mid-pegs, and felt even more uncomfortable after I installed the floorboards. As another poster here pointed out, the S&S Teardrop is tucked in quite a ways.

These pictures may help. The pics from the top and the front position were taken with the center of the lens lined up with and parallel to the flat side of the teardrop cover. Note the position relative to the floorboard and exhaust, then compare to your current A/C to see if it's any better.

http://www.smokypond.com/gallery/dow...18+_Large_.JPG

http://www.smokypond.com/gallery/dow...15+_Large_.JPG

http://www.smokypond.com/gallery/dow...14+_Large_.JPG

dirtdreamer50 10-07-2011 07:43 PM

Not as cool looking, but i have the stage 1 a/c with the factory cover and have no leg problems. 5'10" on a 2011 fxdc. w mid pegs. S&S does look old skool, though. tomp

stbobau13 10-07-2011 08:22 PM

I'm also thinking about the S&S for my 2011 Street Bob. Does anyone know the part number for the one i need.

Cheers

zukeeper 10-07-2011 09:32 PM

I hope your also talking about adding the carb to ?? just my opinion , but running a S&S cover over a jap carb is kinda lame

stbobau13 10-07-2011 09:43 PM

No mate, im talking about the whole setup for a fuel injected bike

zukeeper 10-07-2011 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by stbobau13 (Post 8908001)
No mate, im talking about the whole setup for a fuel injected bike

so keeping it injected and adding a S&S cover ?? so you want people to think theres a real USA carb under there ??

stbobau13 10-07-2011 10:02 PM

I dont want people to think anything.

I've heard good things about the S&S aircleaners and I know they have setups for injected bikes and was asking for the part number

Romeo 10-07-2011 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by stbobau13 (Post 8907742)
I'm also thinking about the S&S for my 2011 Street Bob. Does anyone know the part number for the one i need.

Cheers

The S&S part number is 17-0450. That's the complete kit for all '02 and up Delphi fuel injected H-D's, not just the "cover." Don't know what the carburetor talk is all about. S&S sells the 17-0450 specifically for the injected bikes, not carbureted.

stbobau13 10-07-2011 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Romeo (Post 8908115)
The S&S part number is 17-0450. That's the complete kit for all '02 and up Delphi fuel injected H-D's, not just the "cover." Don't know what the carburetor talk is all about. S&S sells the 17-0450 specifically for the injected bikes, not carbureted.

Thanks mate. Exactly what i was after. Cheers

Romeo 10-07-2011 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Romeo (Post 8908115)
..... S&S sells the 17-0450 specifically for the injected bikes, not carbureted.

I stand corrected. The 17-0450 does fit some '93 to '06 carbureted bikes.

micahpop 10-08-2011 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by zukeeper (Post 8908018)
so keeping it injected and adding a S&S cover ?? so you want people to think theres a real USA carb under there ??

So if somebody has a fuel injected bike and runs an S&S AC cover, he's trying to trick people into thinking that the bike has a REAL MADE IN THE USA S&S carburetor? Is that your logic there?

USMAMule, I'm also 5'-9" and find that my knee slightly rubs the cover but I don't think it's a big deal anymore. At first, it kind of bothered me, though.

zukeeper 10-08-2011 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by micahpop (Post 8908519)
So if somebody has a fuel injected bike and runs an S&S AC cover, he's trying to trick people into thinking that the bike has a REAL MADE IN THE USA S&S carburetor? Is that your logic there?

USMAMule, I'm also 5'-9" and find that my knee slightly rubs the cover but I don't think it's a big deal anymore. At first, it kind of bothered me, though.

pretty much in a nut shell. that is/was/used to be , part of the pride in having that tear drop was that there was S&S behind it.
I realize times are changing ..all this fuel injection stuff now, i guess I'm just slow to grasp the change, I meant no insult was just giving an opinion.
as far as the question , I'm 6 foot and run forward controls , my leg is definitely against the air cleaner , thought about moving my right peg outward about an inch.
the cleaneris basically a K&N type oiled air cleaner , I would shop around a bit to see whats out there before I got one. I better add , I have no idea whats available for injection

Chicago Ken 10-08-2011 01:29 PM

I would think you would still have your leg touching even with the S&S.
Those covers seem bigger than stock IMO. I have the stock tear drop which is a H-D copy of the S&S and my leg touchs it too. Drives me nuts at times. Saving up for the Heavy Breather.

Foxster 10-08-2011 02:24 PM

I had the same leg problem and tried five (yes, really!) different A/Cs before hitting on the S&S. The big difference with them is that the backing plate is a truncated cone shape and so the back plate sits about an inch behind the throttle body entrance. This means the whole A/C is an inch further in towards the bike. Plus the filter and cover are fairly slim too.

I did a bit of a write up about it here: http://fatbob.freeforums.org/how-to-...bddee88ac229f3

parts eeter 10-08-2011 03:48 PM

I currently have a Screamin Eagle kit on my bike, but I really like the S&S kit for the CV Carb that I have. I think it would look tough powdered gloss black.

missedem 10-09-2011 01:31 AM

Heres a mind bender .. an S&S air cleaner kit bolted to a mikuni carb. Best of both worlds. Ran one on my heritage and loved it. If I ever get tired of my heavy breather set up id go back to an S&S air cleaner set up in a heartbeat.

parts eeter 10-09-2011 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by missedem (Post 8911348)
Heres a mind bender .. an S&S air cleaner kit bolted to a mikuni carb. Best of both worlds. Ran one on my heritage and loved it. If I ever get tired of my heavy breather set up id go back to an S&S air cleaner set up in a heartbeat.

Did everything fit well with that setup? Thats the combo I have been thinking about myself.

USMAMule 10-09-2011 10:01 AM

Thanks to all. I have a better idea now.

Foxster: You didn't by any chance have a Heavy Breather as one of teh A/C solutions before you settled on S&S by any chance did you?

And to Zukeeper, it's not about trying to fool anyone or make anyone think anything in particular about my bike. It's about making it more comfortable for me to ride on my 80 mile one way commute, wile having a great durable performing A/C, and yes maybe not having a bike that looks so much like so many others out there, within reason. My bike is fuel injected. Truth be known I kind of wish it was a carbed bike but as much as I like the sound of a carbed bike better - EFI is more reliable and converting backward (if it's even possible) would not only be a step back in reliability, it would also be expensive and I'm not convinced the motor would be able to operate as well since it was designed for EFI. Specifically I am concerned about oil pressure at lower idle.

Wish there was a way to check the fitment without actually buying the kit.

USMAMule

O-Town D 10-09-2011 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by parts eeter (Post 8909998)
"I currently have a Screamin Eagle kit on my bike, but I really like the S&S kit for the CV Carb that I have. I think it would look tough powdered gloss black."

My S&S rattle-canned in gloss and texture - not exactly pc, but pretty much the same effect....

~

Foxster 10-09-2011 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by USMAMule (Post 8912196)
Foxster: You didn't by any chance have a Heavy Breather as one of teh A/C solutions before you settled on S&S by any chance did you?

No. I think they are fugly. They stick out too far and look more like plumbing than a motorcycle part. IMHO.

USMAMule 10-09-2011 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Foxster (Post 8912389)
No. I think they are fugly. They stick out too far and look more like plumbing than a motorcycle part. IMHO.

LOL... That's good. And I have to say though I don't 100% agree with your assessment most of the time I think the right angle pipe looks way big. If someone made a velocity stack for a EFI bike I'd just go that direction. Maybe someone does but I haven't been able to find one.

USMAMule

parts eeter 10-09-2011 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by O-Town D (Post 8912308)
My S&S rattle-canned in gloss and texture - not exactly pc, but pretty much the same effect....

~

That looks so right.......I will be sending a load of parts in for powder and will definitely fit one of these up and include that in the parts to be black powdered box!

duallydondon 01-14-2012 04:25 PM

S&S air cleaner

I am planning to put an S&S air cleaner for various reasons, first I do not want to fool anyone that I have an S&S carb, second I simply like the way it looks, and third just want to use generic paper filters, use them and toss them,,can not see paying 60 plus dollars for filters that I have to oil etc,,,just my two cents worth

missedem 01-16-2012 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by parts eeter (Post 8911495)
Did everything fit well with that setup? Thats the combo I have been thinking about myself.

I got the Mikuni HSR 42 Easy kit that comes with an adapter to fit a cv air cleaner set up to the mikuni carb.
I then purchased an S&S air cleaner kit for a c v carb and it bolted right up with the supplied adapter from mikuni. I loved it . The mikuni ran great and the air cleaner looked great and worked even better. I liked it because it sits closer to the manifold and is more comfortable . It was a great set up.

missedem 01-16-2012 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by Foxster (Post 8912389)

I like the performance of the S.E. heavy breather and kind of dig the look. its just different and kind of industrial looking to me. Plus I got it on ebay new for a hideous sum really cheap.

I ran an S&S air cleaner on my last bike. I would not hesitate to use one again . With a KN filter or one comparable they work excellent. I ran one on a mikuni carb and loved it.

If I hadn't found the SE for so cheap I would still be running an S&S air cleaner. If the way my knee sticks around the S.E. ever starts giving me trouble I will be using the S&S again. My right knee turns in because of CP and my legs are definitely on the tight side. S&S was a very comfortable fit.