Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   Bike won't start - fuel injection problem? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/697490-bike-wont-start-fuel-injection-problem.html)

Crash Davis 10-11-2011 07:01 PM

Bike won't start - fuel injection problem?

I have a 2007 Street Bob with ~sigh~ only 7500 miles. Last weekend the weather was beautiful and I was going to get some miles on the scoot, but it wouldn't start. When I turn on the ignition and flip the switch to run, I don't hear the usual whine of the fuel pump.

The usual lights come on and the bike turns over strong, but won't start. I figure it's because it is not getting any fuel. I'm really hoping there is an easy solution, and I don't have to replace the pump. I checked my fuses and they all look fine. I replaced the fuse for the EFI with the spare just to be sure, but it didn't make a difference. (And yes, I have the start switch in the 'run' position!)

I searched the forums, figuring someone else had to have the same problem but no luck. Is there anything else I should be checking, or do I have to suck it up and get my bike to the dealer?

soft 02 10-11-2011 07:04 PM

Fob battery?

ilovemyskidoo 10-11-2011 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by soft 02 (Post 8921855)
Fob battery?

if it was the fob battery the alarm would go off as soon as you turned the key to run

crash davis deff. sounds like issue with fuel pump if your not hearing it turn on weather that be bad pump, blown fuse, loose / undone connector

Crash Davis 10-11-2011 08:56 PM

Thanks, sort of what I was thinking. I don't have a security system, so the FOB is not the issue. I need to get a manual for my bike, that would help check for the loose or undone connector.

SteveO-ll 10-11-2011 09:23 PM

Have you looked at the crankshaft position sensor, that signals the ECM.

Shredding rubber 10-11-2011 09:26 PM

My 08 street bob is same. Turn key,listen to the whine of the fuel pump priming,start bike. If you don't get the sound of the pump priming either it's not getting power or it's pooched.

1CdnHD 10-11-2011 09:48 PM

As was mentioned, the crank sensor is the only sensor that, if faulty, will not allow a bike to run. However, even with a bad crank sensor, the bike should still 'prime' when you turn ignition on and switch to the run position. ( if it doesn't, I'd look for power to the pump ).

The ECM needs to get a signal from the crank sensor that the engine is rotating in order to continue to provide power to the fuel system. So if you can hear it prime, but while cranking, you can't hear the pump working, I'd look at the crank sensor.

OldEnuf2NoBtr 10-11-2011 10:36 PM

Don't trust your gas gauge on a 5 year old scoot.

nevil 10-12-2011 12:17 PM

Did you check to see if it threw any codes?

robertj74 10-12-2011 12:57 PM

There are two micro-relays in your electrical center,a gray and a black-one is called the system relay,it controls the fuel pump,among other things. The other is the starter relay. I can't off the top of my head remember which is which.
My bike was not starting at one time(no fuel pump whine with key/ign. on),check those relays, I took my system relay apart & it was full of green corrosion. Replaced it and all is fine-about a six dollar fix.
I am thinking the system relay is the gray one-but I could be wrong.

boutellepc 10-12-2011 04:54 PM

there is also a fuel pressure check valve attached to the fuel pump. if it is bad you won't hear the pump but should see air buuble in the tank if you take the fuel cap off and look inside. that's all i got. hope it helps. good luck.

SIDECAR BOB 10-12-2011 10:25 PM

+1 on the fuel pump relay, just had one go out on a ultra , no fuel and no spark either, new relay fixed it

Crash Davis 10-13-2011 06:16 PM

Bike is fixed, and runs! Thanks to RobertJ and Sidecar Bob - you guys were spot on. I went to the dealer, and bought a system and starter relay (they were only $8 a piece). Good thing I bought both; I replaced the system relay (grey one) and there was no change. Replaced the starter relay (black one) and when I switched to run the pump whined as it should, and started right up when I pressed the starter!

I love it when a fix is simple and inexpensive. This forum is great! I'll be riding the scoot to work tomorrow!

missedem 10-15-2011 07:26 PM

Good information thanks everyone.

jamman 10-15-2011 08:37 PM

crank postion sensor, wont keep your bike from starting , ikt'll just run like crap and throw a 373 code.. kudos on the relay info guys..

clicker01 10-15-2011 10:14 PM

Awesome! I just filed this away for the day I might need it. I wonder if these relays can be verified with a multi-meter... well, I'm sure they can. Time to whip out the manual.

Carsten 04-14-2012 04:04 AM

Have the same problem on my 2009 FXDC and just found that thread. On my way to the shop now to buy the relays...hope it helps...about to lose the plot...

Spud17 04-14-2012 04:09 AM

I had the same problem after I got my bike dealer didnt have one on hand. I went to a auto parts store its just a generic relay I think it only cost like 4 or 5 bucks. I noticed at one time that water had filled up the cover, guessing who ever had the bike before power washed it and the water would sit inside of the fuse cover.

markkoby 04-14-2012 07:10 AM

I had the same problem, but I found out by finding the fault codes on my speedo gauge. I replaced it with a new system relay and all was good till last week the bike would not start. I took the relay out and shock it, replaced it and bike started up sraigt away. I pulled on apart and looks very simple but could be designed to be more reliable.

Carsten 04-14-2012 11:37 AM

Got back from the dealer and put the 2 new relays in. Turned the ignition and I could here a familiar petrol pump noise (normally it irritates me, but this time it was lovely). Pressed the start button and my baby came alive ! Probably only one of the relays broken, but I replaced them both...

Thanks for your help guys !!! Bye the way....here in Norway they were $18 each...

'11 SGC rootbeer 05-29-2013 10:28 PM

Just read this. I was gettin pissed off. No fuel pump, no start......This bike has 10,000kms and it won't start? Started doing it randomly last couple of rides but always started after a few tries. then this last time wouldn't start. Ir is In the garage at least.

Took relays out, both had a bit of rusty residue on them. Gave them a tap on the floor and blew on them....Put them back in and..... pump, fire, road test.

Yesssss!!!!!!!!! Thank god it isn't a major and that people have posted and shared their experience. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

rshaw25 02-18-2014 04:38 PM

You guys da best. Smacking the relays around worked. I'll have to get new ones but happy that's it

Peter Ertel 12-26-2016 06:32 PM

My 2008 883 won't start either, but I do hear the fuel pump run to pressure.I think it's electrical because it's full of gas, starts (but doesn't continue) when squrited, and happened all of a sudden.Fues and relay are OK.

1957buick 12-26-2016 06:54 PM

look in the tank when pump comes on see if there is fuel squirting inside the tank if so you have a hole in fuel line it may cough but not run , my 08 ultra did this to me

bic 12-26-2016 07:09 PM

What do you mean when you say starts (but doesn't continue). Do you mean that it cranks but does not start.

Peter Ertel 12-26-2016 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by bic (Post 15783964)
What do you mean when you say starts (but doesn't continue). Do you mean that it cranks but does not start.

Runs until the gas squirted in the throttle body is used up.

bic 12-26-2016 08:47 PM

do you have any codes

Peter Ertel 12-27-2016 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by bic (Post 15784149)
do you have any codes

Yes, "PO 152"

bic 12-27-2016 12:24 PM

P0152 Rear O2
sensor high (rich)
ma

Robby999us 06-18-2017 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Crash Davis (Post 8921845)
I have a 2007 Street Bob with ~sigh~ only 7500 miles. Last weekend the weather was beautiful and I was going to get some miles on the scoot, but it wouldn't start. When I turn on the ignition and flip the switch to run, I don't hear the usual whine of the fuel pump.

The usual lights come on and the bike turns over strong, but won't start. I figure it's because it is not getting any fuel. I'm really hoping there is an easy solution, and I don't have to replace the pump. I checked my fuses and they all look fine. I replaced the fuse for the EFI with the spare just to be sure, but it didn't make a difference. (And yes, I have the start switch in the 'run' position!)

I searched the forums, figuring someone else had to have the same problem but no luck. Is there anything else I should be checking, or do I have to suck it up and get my bike to the dealer?

Hello Crash Davis, have you fixed the problem with your fuel system ? I have exactly the same problem with my 2003 Heritage softail. I am also missing the wining noice from the fuel pump and she won't start. Would be great to hear from you how things are going.
Best Robby

Jeff Hoover 05-14-2020 05:11 PM

2002 Electra glide classic fuel injected cranked stopped cranking and now nothing

I am dealing with a totally separate issue so I'm not riding it much right now decided to go check the mail on the bike disarmed alarm, turned ignition, clicked to run, pressed start after my fuel pump stopped pumping like usual. Cranked popped, waited cranked again like usual, cranked a couple seconds and it just stopped cranking. I thought maybe my pocket armed the alarm. Nope. Start the entire process over again and no fuel pump no crank. I'm sure I can figure it out after work tomorrow but it's such a beautiful day today any ideas?