Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gasket set

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 08:54 AM
Austin Dave
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gasket set

I'm pretty-sure I'm going to go with the SE Cam tensioner kit for dealing with any future problems in that area. The HD#17045-99D rocker box gasket kit: every gasket needed in it? I know how it is with gasket kits. You either get more than you need or the kit doesn't really have all gaskets needed....it's that way with car/truck 'kits' anyway....

Thanks

(I have no idea why there is a pic of Blue Harley following me around. It ain't mine and I didn't put it on anything)

Last edited by Austin Dave; 10-14-2011 at 08:57 AM.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:23 PM
jamman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

James sells a complete rocker box set except for the cam cover for 47.00 and some change, james is high quality

Old 10-14-2011, 03:18 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

better choice for the 05.... andrews cams.. gear drive... great investment and zero future worries. Anyone complaining about gear drive "noise" are the kind of guys that took the short bus to school...LMAO.

Old 10-14-2011, 04:47 PM
Austin Dave
Road Master

Originally Posted by jamman
James sells a complete rocker box set except for the cam cover for 47.00 and some change, james is high quality
James....a guy or a business?

Old 10-14-2011, 04:52 PM
Austin Dave
Road Master

Originally Posted by rounder
better choice for the 05.... andrews cams.. gear drive... great investment and zero future worries. Anyone complaining about gear drive "noise" are the kind of guys that took the short bus to school...LMAO.
Yeah, I've looked hard at the Andrews complete kit but for the time-being I'll go with the SE tensioner kit. Of course, things change.....

('Cquse me. Why do wierd photos keep showing up on posts? Dislike that)

Old 10-14-2011, 07:04 PM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

To answer your original question, 17045-99D will have all the gaskets and bearings, along with upgraded breathers. About the only thing I would add (that doesnt come in the kit) would be the Torrington B-148 inner cam bearings. The only other thing you might consider would be adjustable pushrods. If you do a cam swap while your in there, and select anything other than SE, the adjustable pushrods are a requirement. Theres just enough of a difference in the heel of the lobe on aftermarket cams that stock pushrods wont properly center the lifter piston.

Speaking of lifters, go ahead and replace them while you in there. They arent all that expensive. And I'm going on the assumption you know how to inspect the cams...

Old 10-14-2011, 07:25 PM
Austin Dave
Road Master

Engine has under 8200mi on it. PO wouldn't have stress it. Most all were on long trips. I think 3 or 4 of 'em.

Thanks for the help/advice. I appreciate it.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:16 PM
ronster2
Advanced

Originally Posted by kk6pg
To answer your original question, 17045-99D will have all the gaskets and bearings, along with upgraded breathers. About the only thing I would add (that doesnt come in the kit) would be the Torrington B-148 inner cam bearings. The only other thing you might consider would be adjustable pushrods. If you do a cam swap while your in there, and select anything other than SE, the adjustable pushrods are a requirement. Theres just enough of a difference in the heel of the lobe on aftermarket cams that stock pushrods wont properly center the lifter piston.

Speaking of lifters, go ahead and replace them while you in there. They arent all that expensive. And I'm going on the assumption you know how to inspect the cams...
I'm in the process of gathering items for a cam swap this winter. I have decided on an Andrews 26H along with a SE Billet Cam Support Plate and new SE oil pump. I don't ride my bike hard, but I did consider a gear drive rather than a chain, but I was told by a very reliable builder/tuner that gear drives present an additional load on bearings that could shorten the life of the upgrade and for a mild upgrade for the street I just wouldn't see the benefit. He added, since the introduction of the hydraulic chain tension adjusters, longevity of the adjusters are much, much longer with fewer failures. I am not debating these statements.. just providing info for my decisions on components to use.

I actually began to think about using the EZ Start S & S gear driven cam, since I would eventually like to upgrade to a 103" and this would provide ACR's, but changed my mind after talking him.

I really didn't want to replace my stock push rods with adjustables, since I understand new aftermarket push rod tube should be used for additional clearance needed for adjusting them. I don't know this to be a fact, but advice I read about for installing adjustable push rods. I need to check my breather system filters and valves due to excessive a/c oil blow-by, so I have no other reason to spend the additional money for adjustable push rods with new tubes, since I'll be removing the valve covers anyway.

This recommendation to replace the push rods and lifters causes me to re-examine my original position, since my 2009 RG has 37k mostly highway miles. It maybe a good time to at least replace my lifters, but I still cannot see the adjustable push rods.

Ronster