Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to wire auxiliary lights.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 03:06 PM
Covenant
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FXD2003Rider
Neil,

Here are some options showing how the aux lights should be connected, according to H-D's mounting instructions (=DOT regulations).

In this way the aux lights stay on only with lowbeam(spliced to the yellow wire).

If you want them to work with high beam, splice (6) to the highbeam wire (on my 2003FXD it's the white wire).

If you want them to work independently from high/low beam:
Splice (6) to the runing lights wire (see your manual for the color, on my 2003FXD it's the blue wire) or run the "unterminated wire" (6) (= wire to low beam in Fog Lamp Schematic) in the wiring harness back to the + on the battery or the aux fuse in the fuse box.

You can operate the switch (which comes with the H-D aux lights kit) to activate the coil in the relay which will turn on or off the fog lights/aux lights.

I have connected the passing lights on my FXD2003 in the same way and replaced the stock switch from the kit for the handlebar mounted aux switch kit and the chrome switch cap kit.

Here's a wiring diagram on how to wire aux lights using a relay:

Signal current from switch (86 ==> 85) activates coil; coil activates internal relay switch (30 ==> 87)

30 = + from battery (requires mim 2.5 mm2 wire)

87 = + to lamps (requires mim 2,5 mm2 wire)

85 = ground

86 = + (using a switch to activate relay) from:
- battery or
- running lights or
- low beam or
- high beam
OMG! Thanks to the Relay Wiring Diagram you posted I was able to finally figure out why the hell my lights weren't working! I followed all the instructions from the kit, the service manual and posts here on the forum. I spent two days wiring, then tearing out the wiring and doing it all over again until I checked the relay. The relay was wired wrong from the factory!!! I swapped the white lamp wire and the switch wire and bingo everything worked! Thanks for the info I would still be in the garage if it weren't for HDForums!!!

The following users liked this post:
kantdo55 (02-02-2017)
Old 07-08-2012, 03:33 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Yeah, I followed that diagram to a "T", and never had a lick of trouble.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:38 PM
Austin Dave
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just recently I installed a set of Aux lights. Fabbed a handlebar
switch-mount, used the Blue running light circuit to power the relay and separate fused circuit to power the lights. Solder all wire connections and sleeve those connections with heat-shrink.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:44 AM
02fx4dude
Road Master
Received 251 Likes on 130 Posts

I wired my aux lights through a toggle switch into the lighting circuit, no relay. Blue wire I believe, marked BE in circuit diagrams. They only work when the ignition switch is on and don't go on/off with the lo or high beam.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:09 AM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Received 867 Likes on 576 Posts

Originally Posted by 02fx4dude
I wired my aux lights through a toggle switch into the lighting circuit, no relay. Blue wire I believe, marked BE in circuit diagrams. They only work when the ignition switch is on and don't go on/off with the lo or high beam.
The BE wire is the wire that runs from your lights fuse towards the l&r/h handlebar switches.

I wonder if this wire will be able to handle the amperage when head light and aux lights are switched on.

In order to prevent a wire melt down and a short, I'd recommend to connect the aux lights as shown in the relay wiring diagram.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:49 AM
Covenant
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I was thinking of doing that myself. The blue wire seems to be the running lamp wire for the front turn signals and I thought I could piggyback the Aux lamps off the running lights. In the end I decided to do it the Harley way and ended up pulling my hair out when nothing worked. After checking and rechecking everything I realized that the factory harness was wired wrong and after that everything is great.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:55 AM
02fx4dude
Road Master
Received 251 Likes on 130 Posts

BE wire is fused at 15 amps, so no worry about melting the wires. but the combo of headlight and aux lights could go over 15A, so maybe better to use a relay and new fused circuit, like the HD diagram.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:45 AM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by FXD2003Rider
In order to prevent a wire melt down and a short, I'd recommend to connect the aux lights as shown in the relay wiring diagram.
100% agree with this. Wiring direct is a meltdown waiting to happen. I wired mine up as per Rene's diag, was easy to do and it's the "correct" way to do it.

You can rig it with a bar mounted switch to run the lights independent of the Hi/lo switch if you like, i.e., always on.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:42 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

I just installed a light bar on my Fat Boy. Because I had an empty 15 amp block in my Fuse Box that was ignition on dependent, I was able to use that, with an in-line 15 amp fuse for safety. My 55w spot lights are aftermarket, and each has its own toggle switch for on/off. Once I got a safely fused power source to them, I was all set. Certainly different than the relay system I did on my Dyna per the above diagram, but every bit as safe and effective.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:48 PM
FXDWG12
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I plant to install one of these \/ \/ \/ with my lighting controls.

http://www.thesolarstore.com/electri...tch-p-538.html

Quick Reply: How to wire auxiliary lights.