Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   FXDX push starts, but won't "push button start" (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/707580-fxdx-push-starts-but-wont-push-button-start.html)

KPP 11-15-2011 01:51 PM

FXDX push starts, but won't "push button start"

Went on a nice little 50 mile putt. Ate, hit the head for #2, went back to start bike.........bike would crank, but not light up. Finally bump started it after 3 attempts. Last try pushed the start button while bump starting, and the bike lit up. Let it sit and warm up, ran fine home... Not sluggish, no lag, responded to throttle fine. Now, on begining of ride, headlight low-beam went out, rode on high beam for prob 25 miles, no stops, just point A to point B. When got back to buddies house. hung out for about an hour, went to leave.....bike started right up. Went to start bike today...starter just cranks, but the engine does not fire up. Stator and regulator (MoCo) replaced about month or so ago. Battery is less than 6 months old. All connections are tight, checked cables for corrosion, nope. Fuses are good. So, can this be a Crank Position Sensor? Im just fooled that it started after riding back and sitting, and now after 2 days on a tender the engine still wont fire up? Anybody else have this? Intermittent starter relay issue?

mikeurig 11-15-2011 05:25 PM

Call the dealer or take it there, let them check it out

KBES BAGGER 11-15-2011 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by mikeurig (Post 9045731)
Call the dealer or take it there, let them check it out

Wow the dealer must love you! OP, are you and I the only guys that work on our own bikes and know how/learn to fix them? It sounds like yuo might possibly have a loose wire in the control/wiring harness in the right side grip. If there is a loose wire you may not be "tripping" the kill switch from the off position. In the process of moving/pushing the bike you made connection. Was the bars turned when you tried to start it? I would glance there at the control myself.

lo-rider 11-15-2011 08:57 PM

Check the mods you've made.

Chicago Ken 11-15-2011 09:04 PM

Wondering if the starter switch is bad or a bad ground. The headlight issue is making me think ground!

misfitJason 11-15-2011 11:56 PM

My guess if a faulty charging part, bad starter relay switch, or loose wire

HemiOrange 11-16-2011 03:33 AM

I installed (10 minutes) an inexpensive ($10 to $20) push button starter switch on the solenoid just for these types of situations. They circumvent the bar mounted switches and alleviate the wiring for a direct link to the battery.

fastman614 11-27-2011 01:44 PM

I would be inclined to think it is either a ground, flaky switch or bad connection (probably in the wires from the handlebars) issue and, as suggested earlier, possible/probable turning or other movement of the bike and forks made it reconnect. Intermittent problems like this are THE hardest to troubleshoot.

BTW, If the bike won't start while cranking it over, is it getting spark at the plugs?

Good luck!

dirtdobber 11-27-2011 02:16 PM

Ok, let me get this straight. It won't fire up. Does that mean the starter isn't turning the engine over or does it mean it won't crank?

If it isn't turning over, check the battery terminals first, then check the battery without the engine running to check voltage. then get it to crank and check the voltage again. This will determine if its in the charging or battery.
The crank shaft sensor will not do this, it either works or it doesn't.
See above post. I am also thinking a bad wire or ground somewhere.

Dynaglide68 11-27-2011 02:21 PM

Make an appointment with the dealer