Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   fxdx/fxdxt suspension factory settings weight range (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/709042-fxdx-fxdxt-suspension-factory-settings-weight-range.html)

ro9beam2002 11-20-2011 09:20 PM

fxdx/fxdxt suspension factory settings weight range

Hi guys, new rider with a fxdxt 2002.... i noticed the rebound, damping, and adjuster settings on the forks were not equal, so i read the manual and i will be setting the rear/front back to the factory settings for both pre-load...compression and rebound where needed...and give it a spin

My question is... what range in weight "lowest-highest" did harley design for the factory preloads front/rear for single riders? Iam 260lbs and wonder if my weight is past the factory pre-loads to begin with

Good_Apollo 11-21-2011 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by ro9beam2002 (Post 9062578)
Hi guys, new rider with a fxdxt 2002.... i noticed the rebound, damping, and adjuster settings on the forks were not equal, so i read the manual and i will be setting the rear/front back to the factory settings for both pre-load...compression and rebound where needed...and give it a spin

My question is... what range in weight "lowest-highest" did harley design for the factory preloads front/rear for single riders? Iam 260lbs and wonder if my weight is past the factory pre-loads to begin with

I'm about your weight and it was not optimal at factory settings, my rears are cranked up pretty high, I forget the setting though

ro9beam2002 11-21-2011 08:38 AM

cool, i just set them on the 4th step and will try that... i used a rubber strap oil filter wrench for anyone wanting to do this with-out buying that spanner tool.

JohnC FXDX 11-21-2011 12:23 PM

I also turned up my front also. Stock is on the 5th line and I set it to the 3rd. I keep the back on 5 because I ride 2-up at times. I also increased the dampening in front as well.

JohnC FXDX 11-21-2011 12:24 PM

Forgot to add that I am 270.

CobraEd 11-21-2011 12:32 PM

I have an 07 Suberglide. Is there a way to adjust the front rate? I was not aware of this.

ro9beam2002 11-21-2011 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by JohnC FXDX (Post 9064252)
I also turned up my front also. Stock is on the 5th line and I set it to the 3rd. I keep the back on 5 because I ride 2-up at times. I also increased the dampening in front as well.

John, how many settings do you have for the rear shocks, the manual says 15 clicks, but i swear i can only hear 10 for mine...

dynageno 11-21-2011 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by CobraEd (Post 9064288)
I have an 07 Suberglide. Is there a way to adjust the front rate? I was not aware of this.

I don't think you have an adjustable front end on an 07. correct me if I'm wrong.

JohnC FXDX 11-21-2011 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by CobraEd (Post 9064288)

Only adjustable on the FXDX or FXDX-T.

JohnC FXDX 11-21-2011 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by ro9beam2002 (Post 9064315)
John, how many settings do you have for the rear shocks, the manual says 15 clicks, but i swear i can only hear 10 for mine...

I have 15 for the rebound and 5 preload settings on the spring out back. Up front I have 15 for both rebound and compression and not sure how far out you can soften the spring rate. You may need to click through the cycle a few times in case it is sticking. I noticed mine was over shooting the detents at first because I had to apply a little more pressure.
I did tighten up the compression to 2 from hardest, but left the rebound stock up front. I also tightened the spring to 3 lines but may go to 2 or even all the way. I am going to put in heavier fork oil over the winter to see if that helps. I definitely saw a difference going to 3 lines though. Out back I think I left the rebound stock, maybe a little harder. I have to check. I rode with the spring on 3 and 4 with no problems, but 3 was a little soft. On 5 it is a little firm, but not bad at all. I just leave it there so I don't forget to change it when I ride two up.