Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

slip ons vs full exhaust performance

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 05:15 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I talked to a very well known dyno tuner yesterday about all this and this is how he summed it up:
Slip ons will give you some horsepower over stock
2-2 will usually get better then slip ons because of the stock crossovers.
2-1 may be the best way to go if you can stand the looks but your talking about very marginal horsepower gains.

What I gathered from our conversation is that is was all about the tune. He actually recommended the SERT and has good results even with slip ons as he takes the readings way into the exhaust by the collector. He is a dyna owner and has had stock, slip ons, 2-2, and now 2-1 exhaust and has done dyno's on all four. He tunes the bike to optimize where you are going to ride most of the time and thinks if the rider is looking at just the numbers, most will be disapointed. He also suggested a oil cooler for the Texas heat.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:17 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I assume you have a high flow air filter and your bike is flashed and/or mapped for it.

If so, go ride. IMO you're all set. If you're using your HD to full potential, and I presume you're not (it's HD, not built to race) then I would think about gaining horses.

Go ride dude... Fugetaboutit!!
Thats the best advise yet....better to just ride then to obsess over the small stuff.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:02 PM
FBinSoCal
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default nice thread

Originally Posted by rooti
I would love to see those numbers, just for curiosity.

I use to camp at lake puddingstone when we went to raging waters.
rooti, I'll try to scan it on friday. I'm having a little trouble with my printer (all in one kind) for some reason it's not communicating with either my desktop or lap top. I'm visiting another forum member on fri. though, perhaps he can scan and post it for you. At the very least, from work on monday i will scan it there.

right across the freeway from raging waters.

Guys, this has been a very interesting thread, thanks for all the input...learning a lot here

Old 11-23-2011, 06:42 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

.Now,if you go with a 2 into 2 system all bets are off.I've heard of some making less power than the stock system.
I guess what I should have said is really short dual exhausts designed mostly for looks can make less horse power than a stock system with slip-ons.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:16 PM
NTrain177
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the mechanic you talked to is right on...on my last bike my 2008 night train i started out with v&h short shots which are short 2-2 and i ran them with no baffles, then i changed to a v&h 2-1 and there was a night and day diff was well worth the money...i liked the looks but the sound of a 2-1 isn't as "cool" as a good 2-2 but it all comes down to what you want...i am doing up my new FLD just like my n-train...cam and 2-1!! got to love a fast HD