Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 FXDX What can interchange? Tins, Seats, Bars, tires, wheels, bars, mirrors?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 03:59 PM
PhotoRider
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnC FXDX
I like that fairing a lot. I want to add that to mine one day as well with either the 15" or 18" shield. At 6'3", I'm not sure if the 15" would work.

I believe a 160 tire is the widest with the stock setup. I have a 150 and only have a 1/2" between the tire and the belt. I think a 170 would be too tight and you would have to go to a 17" rim at least 4" wide for that.

I bought a bubble windshield at first - dark smoke. Probably will buy a bigger one - either the 15" or 18". I'm 6'3" also. What I will end up doing is buying the 18" and having it cut down if I don't like the size. There is a guy locally who cuts HD windshields down for $20 out the door while up wait. So far he has cut down my RK and Dyna's windshield with excellent results. He is an old bike and has down it for 20 years...

Can you go to a 17" rim? good to know.

Darn just got a new tire and stayed with the 130. If I knew I could fit a 150 I would have done it. Guess I need to wear that tire out...

Old 01-24-2012, 05:35 PM
JohnC FXDX
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PhotoRider
I bought a bubble windshield at first - dark smoke. Probably will buy a bigger one - either the 15" or 18". I'm 6'3" also. What I will end up doing is buying the 18" and having it cut down if I don't like the size. There is a guy locally who cuts HD windshields down for $20 out the door while up wait. So far he has cut down my RK and Dyna's windshield with excellent results. He is an old bike and has down it for 20 years...

Can you go to a 17" rim? good to know.

Darn just got a new tire and stayed with the 130. If I knew I could fit a 150 I would have done it. Guess I need to wear that tire out...
I guess I need to clarify that on '00-'05 you can go with a 17" or a 160 no problem. The '99 was only set up for a 130. You may be able to squeeze in a 150 though. The '00 on up came with a different fender and swingarm to allow a 150 stock from the factory. I know some guys used the rear wheel from a deuce on the rear and that is a 160-17".

Last edited by JohnC FXDX; 01-24-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:55 PM
Good_Apollo
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good_apollo
What tail light combo did you use?

Can you describe the mods to change a 2000FXDX to use a FXDL tank. ure like to do that to mine...
Tail light combo is Cycle Visions Eliminator, pretty expensive though. They now have a license plate/turn sig combo I would have used if it were available when I purchased. I would have used that and got a low profile tail light.

For the tank swap, you will need to get the parts first, includes:
96-03 FXDL tank
Tank Console and Tank Bib trim with rubber seals
Fuel Gauge and sending unit/float for the FXDL tank
Bracket to mount gauges to console (this is the most difficult part to find, HD doesn't make it anymore either)
Figure out what to do with your indicator lights. I got an FXDL light console and mounted them in the headlight brow location (your fxdx has the same cutout as the FXDL it is just covered with a sticker)

Once you get the parts, it's not too hard, soldering all the indicator light wires is a bit of a PITA. You will have to extend your speedo switch wire as well.

Pull gauges out of your old console, mount them in the new console with bracket, mount your new tank (I had to extend my fuel vent hose), route all the wiring to the new console location, plug in your gauges, and mount the console. That is basically it, getting the wiring to look clean is the hardest part.

In hindsight, I wish I would not have done it. It was pretty expensive to track down all the parts. Way cleaner looking but I actually like the look of the gauges on the bars only inverted, so flip them around and have them facing towards you (a member here did this with a silver FXDX I don't recall who) but you live and learn.

Check out this thread for tons of info on the swap:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...onversion.html

Here is more pics of my project before and after:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-promised.html

Bike has actually changed quite a bit since those pics haha

Last edited by Good_Apollo; 01-24-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:38 PM
PhotoRider
Road Master

Good_Apollo - thanks for the info.

I really want to go even newer. A tank with a single large gauge. Daytona Digital makes a fully integrated gauge with tack/speedo, idiot lights etc. May take some electric mods and/or wiring, but shouldn't be too hard. At least the parts are available.

Man it would be nice to have a normal harley key switch like my other bikes have.

Daytona Digital also make a couple cool long and narrow all in one gauge which mount on the risers. My concern is if they are hard to read because of size.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:40 AM
JohnC FXDX
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it was Jaypee was the one who flipped the gauges around. It looks really good with the high risers or T bars.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:45 AM
skinless
Road Captain

I really want to go even newer. A tank with a single large gauge. Daytona Digital makes a fully integrated gauge with tack/speedo, idiot lights etc. May take some electric mods and/or wiring, but shouldn't be too hard. At least the parts are available.

Man it would be nice to have a normal harley key switch like my other bikes have.

Daytona Digital also make a couple cool long and narrow all in one gauge which mount on the risers. My concern is if they are hard to read because of size.
I went with the dakota digital classic 5000. Cleaned bike up a hole lot. Made my own speedo bracket

Old 01-25-2012, 01:50 PM
Good_Apollo
Road Warrior

You can do the same thing I did only go to a FXDWG tank and console, get the Dakota Digital to fit that.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:51 PM
Good_Apollo
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by JohnC FXDX
I think it was Jaypee was the one who flipped the gauges around. It looks really good with the high risers or T bars.
Sounds right, I really do like that look and it would have saved me about $500 lol

Old 01-05-2016, 09:16 PM
Bobby Welsh
Stage II
Default Looking for ideas...

Can anyone tell me what the biggest wheel and tire will fit on my stock 99 super glide?