Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

twin cam still misfiring again, running on 1 cylinder...

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 11:00 AM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Gus -

Welcome aboard ...

Your '98 is an Evo motor (as opposed to Twin Cam, that first appeared in '99) ...

Based on your photo, I am thinking your bike must have a carb ...? In which case, none of the info on this thread will apply to you ... (except, the general advice with regards to ensuring good connections on wiring) ...

The Evos tend to sound a little more 'lumpy' than the Twin Cams ... what do you know about the bike ...? Does it have an aftermarket cam ...? Is it the stock carb ...?

It is possible the carb needs to be cleaned ... or there is some crud in the fuel filter, screen or fuel line that is causing the problem ... another possibility is a leak in the manifold gasket allowing air in between the manifold and intake port/head ...

You might get some better troubleshooting ideas if you post a description of your problem in either the Evo forum here ... https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-classic-models-84/

... or in the Engine/Fuel/Intake/Exhaust forum here ... https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engin...ke-exhaust-57/

Good luck ... and post the solution, if you figure out what the problem is ...

R/
'Chop

Old 08-09-2012, 11:28 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

i would bet that you have an unpluged or loose injector

Old 08-09-2012, 04:53 PM
Gustoon
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the warm welcome .
It does have a carb, and I'm fairly sure the cam is after market, screaming eagle??
I will have to check that out.

Not sure if this helps diagnose the problem, but if I start it from cold, I have to hold her open by the throttle (or choke) and it really smells , gassy.

I've been lent a compressor and will take the carb apart and fuel lines as you've suggested.

Ha ha I tried following the previous advice in this thread and applying it, needless to say I learnt alot and have a very clean set of electrics now.

Once again, I thank you for taking the time to get back to me, and hope to post the answer soon.

LOVE this site!

Old 08-09-2012, 06:50 PM
milesvdustin
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is that corroded connector with the terminal disconnected next to it in the first pic? Clean clean connections and a good solid ground is essential for your electronics.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:08 AM
Gustoon
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by milesvdustin
What is that corroded connector with the terminal disconnected next to it in the first pic? Clean clean connections and a good solid ground is essential for your electronics.
Thats the earth, the pic makes it look corroded, its actually grease.
Yep, got cleaning all sorted out, thanks

Old 08-10-2012, 09:34 AM
Gustoon
2nd Gear

Okey-Dokey, now after alot of prodding and poking, I do now have the answer, thank god!!!
I feel kind of stupid, but anyways here goes.

Partial blockage of fuel tap , got a clue when it ran ever so slightly better on reserve tank.
Although there was no sign that the rear spark plug wasn't working properley, eg: good color, I changed it and had an instant response.
Since the plugs were only changed less than 7k ago I was somewhat surprised :/

The upside is that I learnt a ton about my bike which this morning I didn't, and I have an electrical circuit you could perform heart surgery on

BIG thank you to all that gave me advice, and I'll promise to not bump threads that are a million years old

Peace