Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pros and cons of fuelpak

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 09:56 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,030 Likes on 651 Posts
Default Pros and cons of fuelpak

I know that it doesn't have to be dyno set like the power commander but what is the downside of it. It seems like a good deal but can I keep using the thing if five years down the road I want to go with a 95 inch kit for my 06 88 dyna or will it become a paperweight?

Old 01-31-2012, 10:04 PM
Mike650
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

it should still be fine. i dont see why it wouldnt. im only going to be using mine until TTS comes out with a tune for my bike.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:09 PM
neocontra
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by misfitJason
I know that it doesn't have to be dyno set like the power commander but what is the downside of it. It seems like a good deal but can I keep using the thing if five years down the road I want to go with a 95 inch kit for my 06 88 dyna or will it become a paperweight?
Doesn't work in closed loop mode. Also, when you set it, the numbers are a secret enigma.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:21 AM
Aires59
Cruiser

I put a fuelpak on my last bike and was happy enough with it to put a fuelpak on my wideglide - it gives a nicely running engine with the mixture set about right. If you know what mods you want to do in the future email their technical support and see if they can give you the settings.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:41 AM
DBAGR
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They have no control to adjust timing, but if you stay to a lower compression(9.5 and below) you will probably be OK. However, there is no substitute for a quality tune by good operator.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:14 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 155 Posts

I personally just don't like the idea of using "Micro-Fuelers" in general. Using piggy-back electronics just isn't a real good engineering solution. Although they certainly are easier to use if you're not into the details of the thing. I do like the TTS system as that is a software solution as opposed using a piggy-back hardware fix. Although with the new CAN Bus bikes I don't think they've (TTS) got a release yet.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:06 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by misfitJason

A lot of folks here have used the FP with great results. The FP is a so called fueler and is not all that sophisticated. But, if all you are looking for is more WOT power (and the bike runs fine otherwise), it is cheap and dirty. It is an extra box added to the bike that could get wet and fail 4 or 5 years from now. A few here have had nothing but problems with the FP, but you can say that about any add on module.

Not sure if you are still using O2 sensors on your 06, but adding an XIED and FP together is better. The FP does not disable closed loop operation like the PC does, and the XIED tricks the ECU into providing a little richer closed loop mix.

The best solution, in terms of street smoothness and riding satisfaction, is to program the ECU for your bike using something like a SERT or TTS kit or to replace the ECU with something like a Thundermax. Unless you want to get into the details of EFI tuning, you probably need to hire a competent pro to deal with those. But consider the option as the downside of anything less sophisticated is that the products compromise performance to save you some money, so you won't be getting the most out of the bike. Whether you notice it or not is subjective and based on how calibrated your but dyno is.

Last edited by ColdCase; 02-01-2012 at 06:10 AM.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:12 AM
bobnehoc
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the FP on my 07 Low Rider and it works pretty good. I do get an occasional decel pop but nothing to bad. Easy to install and setup if you are using a stock motor with known AC and Pipes. Once you start doing more performance orientated mods like big bore kits the tuner will no longer be adequate. While I have never used Fuelmoto, they are a forum sponsor and I have heard plenty of good things about them. I would check with them on what they would recommend especially if you are considering bumping the displacement of the motor somewhere down the road. No sense in throwing money away on a tuner that will not meet your needs....

Old 02-01-2012, 09:18 AM
florida dyna
Advanced

I have a fuelpak on my 2011 FXDC and it does a good job and is all I'll need for this bike. I don't plan on tearing into the motor other than the stage 1. I have had a pcIII usb on another bike and liked it a lot but I had other mods than just a stage 1 with that bike.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:33 AM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
I personally just don't like the idea of using "Micro-Fuelers" in general. Using piggy-back electronics just isn't a real good engineering solution. Although they certainly are easier to use if you're not into the details of the thing. I do like the TTS system as that is a software solution as opposed using a piggy-back hardware fix.
Agree with this completely. That's why I went with a PowerVision (PV). I liked the PV because you could scan your bike, look at the tables, then plug that into a AutoTune program (basic uses your stock Narrow Band O2s which suck or you can go with the Autotune Pro and the Wide Band O2s which will really get you dialed in) and get your tune real close to what a tuner would do. It's not perfect and you don't know what small changes might be doing but I think it's better than just having someone throw on a tune that is relatively generic. It was overkill for my Stage 1 stuff but if (okay...when) I do any bigger mods it will come in very handy.

Quick Reply: Pros and cons of fuelpak