Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   Red Key - after install LED rearlight , and removed front indicators (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/732141-red-key-after-install-led-rearlight-and-removed-front-indicators.html)

KopeX 02-10-2012 08:04 AM

Red Key - after install LED rearlight , and removed front indicators

Hi you guys :)

I have put on a LED rearlight( with indicators ) - and removed my front indicators...

Today I noticed that the immobilizer logo glowed while the bike was running :/?
Is it because of changed voltage, or have I come to activate / deactivate something on my remote control for alarm ...

Thanks ..

jmeiers 02-10-2012 08:25 AM

A Load Equalizer/Balancer will solve the issue.

My setup is LED sidemount brake light and 2 separate mini LEDs wired as brake/turn signals. I don't have front signals either. As long as I don't touch the turn signal buttons, all 3 LEDs light up as brake lights without any issue. However, once I hit a turn signal, it will flash normally for about 5 seconds and then go into hyper-flash, at which time, the red key light on dash will light up and not go away until I shut the bike down and turn ignition key off/on again.

The issue is caused by the LED's not putting out enough voltage so the bike thinks that there is an issue and basically goes into hyper-flash as a warning for you to check your shit. Cages do this too when a turn-signal bulb goes out.

Its not really an issue for myself as I almost always just use my hands for turn signals anyway. I really just wanted them as extra brake lights up higher to supplement the sidemount that is down low.

RICHIEMACK 02-10-2012 08:33 AM

You need a badlands 3 load equalizer for led,also for your alarm...plug and play68 bucks

blueangel73 02-10-2012 08:47 AM

You could use the TruFLEX Dual Converters and Eclipze or the Eclipze2 Turn Signal Converter from Custom Dynamics. They are way cheaper and work great, I have ben using the Dual Converters for about a year now without a single issue. You can find them at the bottom of the links page.

KopeX 02-10-2012 08:59 AM

Ohh Thank you Guys :)

Is it Okay to run the bike without fixing it ? Or can it damage the wiring ??

nevil 02-10-2012 12:11 PM

It won't hurt anything to run it.

07bobber 02-10-2012 12:25 PM

wont hurt anything but if you want the little keylight to dissapear get the equilizer....

FenceSC 02-10-2012 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by KopeX (Post 9373281)
Hi you guys :)

I have put on a LED rearlight( with indicators ) - and removed my front indicators...

Today I noticed that the immobilizer logo glowed while the bike was running :/?
Is it because of changed voltage, or have I come to activate / deactivate something on my remote control for alarm ...

Thanks ..

A load equalizer won't eliminate the red key. You removed the front indicators and you now have an open circuit. The indicator lights have three wires. One of those wires runs through the alarm system because when the alarm is activated, the lights blink. It is alright to run with the key light on. I have been running two years that way without problem.

That said, a load equalizer will help if the rear indicators blink quickly. You didn't say whether you have the alarm system on your bike. I don't so it doesn't affect the bikes operation.

KopeX 02-11-2012 01:41 AM

ohhh .... Is there somehow i can fix it , without installing indicators in front again ??

KopeX 02-11-2012 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by FenceSC (Post 9375276)
A load equalizer won't eliminate the red key. You removed the front indicators and you now have an open circuit. The indicator lights have three wires. One of those wires runs through the alarm system because when the alarm is activated, the lights blink. It is alright to run with the key light on. I have been running two years that way without problem.

That said, a load equalizer will help if the rear indicators blink quickly. You didn't say whether you have the alarm system on your bike. I don't so it doesn't affect the bikes operation.

Im pretty sure thats there only is 2 wires ?