Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

01 FXDL Turn Signal wiring

Old 02-15-2012, 03:52 PM
justmealwatts
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up 01 FXDL Turn Signal wiring

I'm new to the Dyna family. As of this moment, I do not have a service manual for my year bike but I have a few questions.

I'm in the process of doing a few things to my 2001 FXDL. Moving the front turn signals down to the fork tubes was on my list today. I removed the gas tank to make things easier and to clean up a little. I figure that I'd just unplug the turn signal wiring harness, etc... but the wires just go into the neck in the frame and there isn't a plug to work with. The same goes for the handlebar controls. The bike is stock but the wires have been cut and soldered at some point about 6 inches out of the neck.

I know that it's possible for the connectors to be shoved down in that little hole in the neck but I'm not going to start jerking on the wires until I get some advice. I have a wiring diagram and it's showing a 6 pin connector for the turn signals but it's obviously not visible.

Thanks!!!

Old 02-15-2012, 05:30 PM
Robtarra39
Road Warrior
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Before you yank on the wires, you will need to remove the back wheel, yes the back wheel, then you will see a plastic square plug about 2x2 in size , remove that , inside you will see your harness, it may be tied up with a plastic tie wrap, remove the tiewrap, now you can pull the harness out of the neck, it helps if you have someone push on the harness as you pull it forward, i have attached a pic of what this looks like.

Attached Thumbnails 01 FXDL Turn Signal wiring-dscf0015_jpg.jpg  
Old 02-15-2012, 09:11 PM
justmealwatts
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks Robtarra39,

What an introduction into Dyna wiring on my bike. The turn signal and handlebar control connectors are down in the frame. The wiring harness was not pliable and being folded up for 10 years, I can tell you that it didn't just flop out. I left the tire on because I thought that I wasn't going to struggle as much as I did. Witht he tire being off, I can see the benefits. At least I learned something tonight but I wish that the connectors were located under the tank for easier access. Maybe things will go smoother after I do it about 10 times. Thanks!!!

Attached Thumbnails 01 FXDL Turn Signal wiring-img_2267.jpg  
Old 02-16-2012, 05:20 PM
Robtarra39
Road Warrior
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Glad it worked out for you.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:19 PM
PhotoRider
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

interesting, by 2000 service manual doesn't say to remove the wheel, just the belt guard to gain access (course I have a FXDX, but the manual covers the FXDL).

I pulled mine out to install t/s mirrors. It took a little effort to wiggle them out. Get them back in was the fun part

Old 08-10-2012, 09:17 PM
OldTyme
Tourer

If I can bump this post w/ a similar question.

I was (unsuccessfully) trying to mount new bars....now my front signals dont work, the back ones do.

Are the front turn signal wires really ran all the way to the back of the bike?

Thanks

(edit: they were unplugged @ the connector that was inside the frame. geesh HD. nice place for that one. lol)

Last edited by OldTyme; 09-09-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old 07-09-2020, 05:17 PM
Isreal Long
Stage I

Originally Posted by OldTyme
If I can bump this post w/ a similar question.

I was (unsuccessfully) trying to mount new bars....now my front signals dont work, the back ones do.

Are the front turn signal wires really ran all the way to the back of the bike?

Thanks

(edit: they were unplugged @ the connector that was inside the frame. geesh HD. nice place for that one. lol)
hey I know this is an old post but I just had the exact same problem and I was stumped. Thank God for forums!