Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Change Disaster with Rogue Chopper Oil Change Kit - Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 05:54 PM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It is possible to remove the oil pan with the engine in the bike. I know cos a pal of mine did it last year. Only problem is - I don't know the whole story and he's working in Italy at the moment and I don't have contact details for him.

What I remember was that there were a few important things but the only one that I remember was that its a matter of raising the engine within the frame so you get clearance between the frame and engine. He had the back wheel off too so the pan could be slid out. I think its a matter of removing the front engine mount too and then using an extra jack to put pressure up on the engine to get it clear of the frame. Oh ya, you may also need to grind down the short end of an allen wrench so it will fit.

Sorry that's all a bit vague.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:13 PM
rdondes
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxster
It is possible to remove the oil pan with the engine in the bike. I know cos a pal of mine did it last year. Only problem is - I don't know the whole story and he's working in Italy at the moment and I don't have contact details for him.

What I remember was that there were a few important things but the only one that I remember was that its a matter of raising the engine within the frame so you get clearance between the frame and engine. He had the back wheel off too so the pan could be slid out. I think its a matter of removing the front engine mount too and then using an extra jack to put pressure up on the engine to get it clear of the frame. Oh ya, you may also need to grind down the short end of an allen wrench so it will fit.

Sorry that's all a bit vague.

Problem is fixed. I removed the L-shaped tube with a coathanger and a bent-nose, reverse forceps.

Regarding removal of oil pan, I can see that the engine would need to be lifted up. Fortunately, removing the oil pan will not be necessary.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:15 PM
gartec81
Grand HDF Member
Received 835 Likes on 370 Posts

its a good thing that you got that out. thats something that would have happened to me.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:36 PM
DaveCarlson
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've all dropped things at the worst possible moment. Glad it all worked out for you in the end.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:40 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Well. That could have been worse. If you wanna sell that oil change system I will buy it off you. It won't cover your aggravation costs but you could re-coup a little money.
Pm me if you want to sell it.
I'm glad you got it out

Old 02-19-2012, 08:28 PM
cecharles
Tourer

I'm reading this a little late and I'm glad everything worked out but if things hadn't gone right the picture in this link would probably help. It's a little bit of work but taking the exhaust off and popping the trans cover exposes some opening into the crankcase. This is where the dipstick goes and might've been easier to get the tube out.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/membe...re122448-a.jpg

Old 02-19-2012, 08:40 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

Glad you got it fixed. I was about to offer my trailer to get it to Liberty. (They're only about 4 miles from me.) See, it does pay to have a trailer.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:46 PM
desertrideryz
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

Glad it worked out for you. sounds like somthing i'd do.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:31 PM
Xiotek
Stage III

Originally Posted by rdondes
I purchased the oil change kit from Rogue Chopper because I thought it would be a good idea to get ALL of the old oil out. I had seen the Rogue Chopper ad in my American Iron Magazines and saw their online video. I had been changing my oil every 5,000 miles the old fashioned way since buying my 2007 FXDC in April 2007. The bike runs fine.

Today, disaster. The Rogue Chopper Kit has an L-shaped tube, the short end of which goes into the oil return hole behind the oil fill spout. The directions tell you to take off the oil fill spout and insert the short end of the L-shaped tube into the oil return hole and then put a clear tub onto the long end of the L-shaped tube. You guessed it - my hands got slippery and I dropped the L-shaped tube into the crankcase where it promptly sank to the bottom of the crankcase. The L-shaped tube is about 4 inches long on the long side and 1 inch on the short side. I drained my brand new oil out to see if I could get the L-shaped tube out with a long screwdriver. I gave up on that after 2 hours. Then, I figured I'd remove the oil pan - gee, how hard could that be? I drained my transmission fluid in anticipation of removing the oil pan. Well it looks easy in my service manual. However, I cannot reach one of the bolts on the right side of the oil pan because the frame is in the way. I have my 2007 all the way up on my J&S jack and I cannot reach that one bolt to save my life. It looks like the engine has to be lifted up a bit.

Does anyone have any advice? My nearest Harley dealer is 17 miles away in Rahway, NJ and I don't have a trailer. Can I ride the bike with this L-shaped tube in the bottom of my oil pan to the dealer?

If anyone has any suggestions, including anyone who might live near me and could get the oil pan off and on again, I am open to suggestions.

Thanks,
Richard
I just bought this one about an hour ago and paid with Paypal.....i sure hope i don't have any problems using this device.

http://shop.roguechopper.com/product...-scavenger-kit

I only bought it because i need to remove all the old 20/50 Harley oil that sits in the sump.

I plan on using AMSOIL Synthetic 20/50 from now on and i just don't want the 2 different oils mixing together.

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g2090.pdf

-Xiotek
96 Fatboy FLSTF

Old 08-23-2013, 07:01 PM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow...glad you got it taken care of. So sounds like my luck.

Quick Reply: Oil Change Disaster with Rogue Chopper Oil Change Kit - Need Advice