Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bars and first mod questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 05:32 PM
Kodey52
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bars and first mod questions

hello everyone, I recently picked up my first Harley, an 02 dyna superglide. I'm new to Harley's, sold my jap bike for my dyna. Very happy with it so far. I'm looking into changing it p a little bit since it's completely stock other than intake and exhaust. I was wondering how high of bars I can fit without cable extensions. I wanna go for T bars, people say I can fit 8-10" on stock cables. I'm on a budget so lengthening the cables is out of the question for now. Also what are some other good first mods to do, and things to watch out for. Thanks everyone

Old 07-12-2017, 06:01 PM
streetjoebob
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i put 10 inch T-Bar on mine with stock cables. still got enough slack, so i think you can go up to 12 inch. probably depends on the width of the bars as well.

besides handle bars, just google and research Stage 1-4 for Dyna, and you will learn about increasing power and torque through several mods.

and lastly, just enjoying modding overall to "personalize" your bike for yourself

and lastly lastly everything will cost lots of money $$$$$

Old 07-12-2017, 08:45 PM
Kodey52
5th Gear

What width are yours? I wasn't looking for super wide bars like the stock ones anyways. And what diameter are they? I see 1" and 1 1/4" everywhere, just wondering what the stock controls fit

Old 07-12-2017, 10:44 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Many 1 1/4 bars narrow back down to 1" for the controls and some do for the riser clamps as well

Old 07-13-2017, 01:28 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

My opinion?

Lose the bags and sissy bar and find a used solo seat. Add gasoline and ride.

The following 2 users liked this post by cggorman:
Nemosengineer (07-13-2017), SixDD (07-14-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 10:33 AM
slow_ride
Novice

I threw some 10" slingshots (see pic) on mine, stock cables fit fine, but the brake line is a stretch. Wouldn't have been able to go 12 without replacing the brake line. Other inexpensive and satisfying mods? Grab an integrated taillight from ramjet, a lay down plate holder, a good used le pera or lucky daves seat off eBay and ride the hell out of it.

Old 07-13-2017, 10:37 AM
slow_ride
Novice

AND (assuming this is your first harley bar swap) get a pack of guitar strings If you plan on wiring the new t bars internally.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:08 PM
Kodey52
5th Gear

Originally Posted by slow_ride
I threw some 10" slingshots (see pic) on mine, stock cables fit fine, but the brake line is a stretch. Wouldn't have been able to go 12 without replacing the brake line. Other inexpensive and satisfying mods? Grab an integrated taillight from ramjet, a lay down plate holder, a good used le pera or lucky daves seat off eBay and ride the hell out of it.

Did you buy the gauge clamp too? Is there anywhere else I could mount my gauge without buying the mount? Would it possibly bolt up to the bolts that hold on the little vision over the headlight?

Old 07-14-2017, 11:48 AM
slow_ride
Novice

Originally Posted by Kodey52
Did you buy the gauge clamp too? Is there anywhere else I could mount my gauge without buying the mount? Would it possibly bolt up to the bolts that hold on the little vision over the headlight?
Yea, i have the speedo mount from WCTbars.

I wanted to keep stock speedo, i like having my N / OIL / Engine / HB lights.

I have some buddies that ditch the speedo and run an aftermarket one, mounted to the frame or engine. You can get creative with the placement if you pick up something like this:

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/5600004

Or just ditch it all together for a cleaner look.

Old 07-14-2017, 02:12 PM
FLASH1970
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3,155 Likes on 1,152 Posts

not really a mod but maintenance. fluids, grease stuff up, check the cam chain shoes...

an ugly bike going down the road beats a pretty bike sitting on the side of it.

Quick Reply: Bars and first mod questions