Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cobra Auto Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 08:21 AM
hellbob37
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mud I wish you would have afforded me the same explanation as stag. Makes things a little more clearer

Old 04-05-2012, 10:47 AM
rscalzo
Road Warrior
Received 126 Likes on 77 Posts

I had one installed on my 09 Ultra after installing Andrews 37 cams, AN Big Sucker and Reinhart True Duals. The first unit experienced hesitation right upon moving from the start.

This lasted a mile or less under acceleration bringing at 2500. One time a serious hesitation entering an on ramp. Cobra sent a replacement unit and it was installed mid December.

The second unit is an improvement...IF I let the big idle when first starting for a few minutes. After a long ride when the bike is more than warmed up , then shut down for more than a few minutes finds an issue. Letting the bike idle for a minute and then moving out I have a serious hesitation again around the 3500 mark. Clutching and blipping the throttle a few times seems to clear it and once past that point the bike runs great.

Maybe the slightest hint of a small hesitation under load at that 3500 area but not enough to even concern me. i'm giving this second unit some time to work itself in, then a call will be placed to Cobra.

I'm not sure the comment about "relearning" after shutdown is that accurate. I would think it would retain most of the settings even after shutdown.

As far as the suitability to some builds, they state in the enclosed literature that it will not be the best option in some wilder setups. But for the majority of the milder mods, it's working well.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:12 PM
ephilli77
Stage I
Unhappy

Hey, wanted to chime in on this one. I've got a PowrPro Auto Tuner installed on my 2012 Wide Glide the last couple weeks. For the most part it's worked great, downside is noticeable less MPG - probably me rolling the throttle hard.

I've also been having the 'surge' issue on the interstate at the 75-80 MPH range. I see it most often when climbing a long sloping hill with the throttle ~halfway open in 6th gear and trying to hold a steady speed of around 78MPH. I'll get a momentary hesitation decel that almost feels like a slip in the belt - but it happens every 5 seconds or so while holding the speed steady. If I accelerate or decelerate it goes away.

I've been talking w/ Andre @ Cobra Engineering. He had me remove the O2 sensor connections and I didn't see the surging again on the same Interstate. Not sure what their next step is - awaiting to hear back form another tech. Meanwhile I'm riding it with the O2 sensors connected stock. I wonder just how much the O2 sensors play into the Auto-Tuning...

Old 04-10-2012, 03:06 PM
Stag556
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ephilli77
Hey, wanted to chime in on this one. I've got a PowrPro Auto Tuner installed on my 2012 Wide Glide the last couple weeks. For the most part it's worked great, downside is noticeable less MPG - probably me rolling the throttle hard.

I've also been having the 'surge' issue on the interstate at the 75-80 MPH range. I see it most often when climbing a long sloping hill with the throttle ~halfway open in 6th gear and trying to hold a steady speed of around 78MPH. I'll get a momentary hesitation decel that almost feels like a slip in the belt - but it happens every 5 seconds or so while holding the speed steady. If I accelerate or decelerate it goes away.

I've been talking w/ Andre @ Cobra Engineering. He had me remove the O2 sensor connections and I didn't see the surging again on the same Interstate. Not sure what their next step is - awaiting to hear back form another tech. Meanwhile I'm riding it with the O2 sensors connected stock. I wonder just how much the O2 sensors play into the Auto-Tuning...

Cobra is currently in the process of sending me a second circuit board due to the surging issue. I've been in contact several times with Phil @ Cobra helping with my feedback about the unit. We will see how this board works out.

Funny thing is, it doesn't surge for all 2012s. Friends has a '12 super glide custom and it doesn't surge.

Old 05-03-2015, 03:06 PM
SDgunfighter
Intermediate

Please forgive me on bringing this post back from the dead, but rather than start a new thread I was just wondering if the issues with the 75-80mph surging was resolved.

The concept is outstanding! Self tuning, just drive and go, etc.

But so far all the reports I find about this tuner from actual customers says that they are having "boards" fry and also surging issues while crusing. But for race applications it does great. Unfortunately for me I care about the drivability and after seeing some dynos it seems the Cobra doesn't really do much anyways.

So my question(s)...

Has Cobra resolved all the issues? If so, are there dyno sheets showing proof of actual performance gained? Thanks!!!

Old 02-10-2016, 05:43 AM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Still going strong

After 4 years and over 25K I decided to install some andrews 48H cams and tried the Cobra with it and the bike keeps adjusting enough to run great with Even better gas mileage! Now getting average 55 mpg!
Still rips and preforms great with the cam change.
I only have a mild cam so it still is able to keep up.
I really didn't think it would work, but it does, well enough for me to keep using it.
With the gas mileage and performance I'm getting my buddies are looking at this tuner differently.