Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black triple trees and forks- pictures anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 12:52 AM
Valleyofthegun
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default My confusion

I just want to publicly appoigize to tat2u and cggorman. The other day my orginal conversation was with tat2u. Tat2u told me he used fxdf trees to convert his bike. While I was waiting on a reply from tat2u, cggorman you replied and said that you didn't use fxdf trees, that you used fxdwg trees. I didn't realize that I was now conversation with a different member and I thought I had mistook what tat2u originally said about using fxdf trees. Also cggorman I mentioned about putting fxdb and fxdf trees in a Google search and your bike coming up, I meanticipate tat2u's bike because like I said that's who I thought I was conversating with. Because I believed tat2u used fxdwg trees I continued seeking info on fxdf spacers and such but in reality tat2u had already given me the correct answers for the exact setup I going to run. At least I believe so. I have to recheck which hub and sliders tat2u used. I plan on using my fxdb oem hub and sliders. At least I did bit after hearing so many comments it sounds like upgrading to either a fxdwg or fxdf hub might be a better move, but them again someone said even if you use a wideglide hub that you still need axle spacers. I am not 100% positive though. I have read many post and I taken in too much info to just simply process. I'm gonna gave to grab a pen and paper and recheck all the posts, which luckily I bookmarked, and jot down particulars about spacer sizes. I also have the ones tat2u provided that once again I am grateful for.
any thanks to all that contributed and I will be more diligent about checking the user's name when messages come in.

Old 06-02-2018, 01:33 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

No need to apologize to me.

Be aware that a wide glide hub is most set up for a single brale rotor. Some are drilled for both but you need to be aware up front what you're buying.

Also, I'm not aware of a Fat Bob hub by itself. As far as I know they all came with one piece alloy wheels.

Finally, the DF brake is in a different location than a low rider brake. I had to do a fair bit of custom work to make my DF sliders work with a FL (same as DWG, but dual disc) hub.

To the best of my knowledge, the easiest way to get dual brakes is with:
wide trees (either DF or DWG, based on desired rake)
DL sliders.
FL "touring" hub.

The Low Rider hub might work, I'm not sure of the specs on it.

My research on this was limited to my particular needs so I could be mistaken. Anybody, please correct me if I misspoke.

Last edited by cggorman; 06-02-2018 at 01:36 AM.
Old 06-02-2018, 02:33 AM
Tat2u
Road Warrior
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

I used my stock street bob wheel and fork lowers, I didn’t want to change the handling at all from what I had, just have wider forks

Old 06-02-2018, 03:44 AM
Valleyofthegun
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Tat2u
I used my stock street bob wheel and fork lowers, I didn’t want to change the handling at all from what I had, just have wider forks
You kept your stock rims also, correct? 17 rear, 19 front?
I had mentioned members suggested splitting the rotar/ caliper gap by taking half the gap away from using a rotar spacer and removing the other half of the gap by using a spacer on the caliper side. Did you do this or did you just use a rotar spacer.. personally I think using a rotar spacer sounds like the best way to go but I have no experience with the topic.

Old 06-02-2018, 06:42 PM
Tat2u
Road Warrior

Like I've stated previously a few times, I made and fitted a rotor spacer. Don't touch the caliper.
I also said above that I kept my stock front wheel.
In a previous mod I fitted an 18" X 5.5" rear wheel and 200 tyre, again machining spacers to suit.
search for my build threads for detailed info, I have even posted drawings of all spacer dimensions for both projects here in the past

Old 06-03-2018, 01:34 AM
Valleyofthegun
Cruiser

Like I've stated previously a few times, I made and fitted a rotor spacer. Don't touch the caliper.
I also said above that I kept my stock front wheel.
In a previous mod I fitted an 18" X 5.5" rear wheel and 200 tyre, again machining spacers to suit.
search for my build threads for detailed info, I have even posted drawings of all spacer dimensions for both projects here in the past
sorry but I have several members giving advice over two different posts so it gets a bit confusing who said what. At this point I know your exact conversion and I am going to copy yours. So I need two axle spacers, a rotor spacer, 2 fender spacers and longer bolts all around. I got it. Thanks

Old 06-03-2018, 01:45 AM
Tat2u
Road Warrior

all good mate, just answering your questions. its a great little mod as is the rear, a 200 fills the fender out nicely

Old 06-03-2018, 02:04 AM
Valleyofthegun
Cruiser

all good mate, just answering your questions. its a great little mod as is the rear, a 200 fills the fender out nicely
I plan on putting a 200 on the rear with a rocket bobs voodoo fender eventually.

I just want to make sure I am understanding your drawings correct. You made the rotor spacer from T6 alloy, which you only made one. Then you made two stainless steel axle spacers. Last you made four fender spacers copying the exsisting design just enlarging them, correct?

Did you turn the rotor and axle spacers or did you cnc them? Then, how did make the fender spacers? Upon furthure thinking I have access to both lathe, cnc and water jet so I can easily get these made.

Last edited by Valleyofthegun; 06-03-2018 at 02:28 AM.