Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prescription Transition Riding Glasses

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 08:23 PM
harleyphoenix
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to Walmart to get a new prescription so I could take it to the local Wiley X source. I found they offered one style//size of m/c riding glasses. I was really leary about ordering a pair from Walmart. I tried on the pair they had on the rack. Fit real well. Only thing was the vented foam around the lenses wasn't removeable. Wiley X's are. I was told that I had 30 or 60 days to return them for a full refund. No questions asked.
I ordered a pair. 9 days later I had the best pair of riding glasses I've ever owned. I've been riding since 1976. They have ANSI rated, transition,progressive lenses for $210.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:38 PM
GrovenSportster
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I won't wear transitions eye wear. They take too long to change and are never dark enough. I had the same problem as you with contacts, somewhat. I could ride with KDs and my contacts all day but by the end of the day it was hard to get my contacts out because of the drying. I finally gave in and bought RayBan prescription sunglasses. I'll never wear anything else! It's well worth the exorbitant price tag and they just go with a Harley, even better than KDs!

Old 04-04-2012, 10:10 PM
2009FXDF
Intermediate

Wiley X are awesome. If you are military, or family of, they will sell direct with your prescription.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:23 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts
Old 04-05-2012, 12:03 AM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by GrovenSportster
I won't wear transitions eye wear. They take too long to change and are never dark enough. I had the same problem as you with contacts, somewhat. I could ride with KDs and my contacts all day but by the end of the day it was hard to get my contacts out because of the drying. I finally gave in and bought RayBan prescription sunglasses. I'll never wear anything else! It's well worth the exorbitant price tag and they just go with a Harley, even better than KDs!
I have the same problem with transitions, it takes forever to clear once inside. Another issue I have is when I'm in a car they will not change. I'm in the same boat as Todd (SURFOR Chop) I need them but I don't. I did have a pair of Oakley Minutes with prescription lenses and loved them, they were great on the bike.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:23 AM
pastchiefparson
Novice

Originally Posted by lk3k9
Opticsplanet.com is a good source for script eyewear including safety/riding options. I've been through many pairs of riding glasses and found the best thing for me are goggles that are big enough to fit over my prescription glasses but slim enough to still look decent. The latest pair I have came with 3 different lenses (yellow, clear, smoke), fit over my glasses, and don't look all that bad. Most importantly they are about 10% of the cost of transition prescription riding glasses.
What brand and model of goggles do you find works best? I wear prescription glasses, and thought about trying a pair of goggles to go over my glasses.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:38 AM
lk3k9
Intermediate

Originally Posted by pastchiefparson
What brand and model of goggles do you find works best? I wear prescription glasses, and thought about trying a pair of goggles to go over my glasses.
These are my most current and best pair so far: http://www.birdzeyewear.com/buzzard.php
Found a pair on eBay with the 3 lenses for $25 w/ free shipping. At that price it's worth it just to give them a shot if your thinking goggles might work for you...

Old 04-05-2012, 06:06 PM
Willy723
Tourer

I have the Wiley X Jake in transition lenses, got them for sportRx as well, very comfortable and have the removable foam insert to wear after you get off the bike too.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:14 PM
djack
Road Master

I got mine at Walmart,seem to work well

Old 04-14-2012, 05:40 PM
Gamble Gold
Cruiser

I have Oakley Flak Jacket XLJs with brown transitions lenses (varifocal). Ideally they'd go a bit darker (19%), but at the clear end they go almost completely clear (93%). No problems with them clearing. My only complaint with them really is that they could be a bit bigger, more wrap around, as they don't keep the wind out of my eyes completely.

Quick Reply: Prescription Transition Riding Glasses