Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you agree that the Super Glide Custom is the best bang for the buck?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 07:28 PM
Burstbucker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Would you agree that the Super Glide/Street Bob are the best bang for the buck?

I don't own a Harley but have had the chance to try quite a few of them out at the demo days events, I've ridden many Softails and Touring models but I think that the only Dynas that I've ridden were a Fat Bob and a Street Bob, the Fat Bob had forward controls which totally messed with my mind since I'm used to floorboards and the Street Bob was a challenge because of those mini apes.

For the longest time, I was sure that if I ever got the funds together to go Harley, it would be something along the lines of a Road King since it's such a nice riding motorcycle and is good for both touring or tooling around town.

But now all of a sudden, right out of the blue, I'm starting to be drawn to the Super Glide Custom and Street Bob for their cool looks, no B.S attitude, and last but not least, great value too!

I know that the Street Bob is the same price but for me, I find that the Super Glide Custom suits my tastes a bit more but the Street Bob would also do it for me, especially if I got it at a smoking good price. I find that the Super Glide Custom is a really nice looking bike for the price and I also like that both bikes have mid-controls. As long as these mid foot controls don't cramp up my legs too much, I'm six feet tall with appx. 32" inseam. I like the way that mid-controls offer better control of a bike and maybe also let you lift your butt off of the seat for short stints.

Looking at the HD price list for Canada, the Super Glide Custom and Street Bob are like $2,100.00 less then the Wide Glide, at first I couldn't figure out how come but I guess that it's mostly due to the WG 103" engine. But on this type of bike, ridden as a solo bike without a fairing and tons of luggage, the 96" engine should be more then enough.

So, the Super Glide Custom and Street Bob are the super deals out there IMHO, I've got to make sure that I get out on one of these bad boys during this summer's demo days.

It looks like these things also go quite cheap on the used market too, either of these two bikes just might be a Harley that I can afford and by the looks of it, I won't be getting a lesser bike because of the lower sticker price either.

Last edited by Burstbucker; 04-10-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:32 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I recently sold an '09 RKC because of a bad shoulder (simply hurt to ride the top heavy scooter). I went to the extreme and bought a '12 Forty Eight, an OK bike, but not for me. After a few months I sold it. I went to a local dealer to look at a couple of '05's, a Deluxe and a Springer. They were nice bikes but the dealer had two left over '11's, a Street Bob and a Super Glide. Same price (about the same as the two used '05's). I would have been happy with either but after thinking about it for a few hours, I went back and bought the Street Bob. Main reason - I never ride two up and the Street Bob feels as *light* to me as the sporty. I am now riding more, no more sore shoulder. I agree, the Super Glide & the Street Bob are the best bang for the buck in the HD line up. Life is good!

Old 04-10-2012, 08:37 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

No! The best bang for the buck is the XR1200. Better suspension, brakes, less $ and stock to stock it is faster and quicker.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:26 PM
Swede405
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
No! The best bang for the buck is the XR1200. Better suspension, brakes, less $ and stock to stock it is faster and quicker.
Yeah, but it's a "girl's bike"

Super Glide or Street Bob are both good bikes to start with if you're going to do some customizations. Lots of available parts and you aren't paying HD for their version of a customized Super Glide.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:49 PM
kcmfg
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am also 6' tall and 32" inseem. The mid controls on my super glide are fine, I did get a different seat to help a little though. With the highway bars I can stretch out on long rides and I'm fine. Best bang for the buck in my opinion and has a ton of aftermarket parts. The 96 has plenty of power, especially after stage 1.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:51 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

the best bang for the buck is the FXD, closely followed by Amsterdam

Old 04-10-2012, 10:18 PM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

The Super Glide Custom is a good Dyna. It's not trying to be anything other than a motorcycle but not plain by any means.
I've ridden my wife's FXDC a few times and it's got a great feel to it. I ride a Fatbob myself and it has a heavier feel to it.
The Street Bob is similar to the FXDC other than the bars and some cosmetic differences.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:30 PM
INJEKTER
Road Warrior
Received 204 Likes on 157 Posts

i felt really gay after reading the first post.......

Old 04-10-2012, 10:57 PM
ryderbiker
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I went through the same decision between the Street Bob and SG Custom. When I bought my bike the custom had a silver and chrome motor which is why I bought the bob. Here are the pros/cons of each.

The custom comes with a two up seat, pasenger pegs, and has actual risers(may not seem like an issue but if you want to change bars you're limited with the street bob unless you change the top tree). The Custom also has a black and chrome motor, multi color paint options, and a full length rear fender. If you want to change to taller bars you'll have to buy cables.

The street bob has a blacked out motor, black rims, and a short fender. If you want to ride two up you will have to add passenger pegs and a seat. The bob has intergrated risers which make changing bar a pain unless you just want taller apes. You can run the stock cable up to 14" bars.

I wish I would have bought a custom. They're the same bike with minor differences. If you like chrome and don't want to spend $600 to add the passenger stuff buy the custom. If you want blacked out , mini apes, and a short rear fender buy the bob. Really you can make either bike what you want. Both bikes look great and you couldn't go wrong with either.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:04 PM
Dynaglide68
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ynots
the best bang for the buck is the FXD, closely followed by Amsterdam

Your right about the FXD , i have been to Amsterdam 5 times and did a lot of banging for the buck there !!

Quick Reply: Would you agree that the Super Glide Custom is the best bang for the buck?