Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Plasti-Dip Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 05:26 PM
Roy Roberts
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Humidity plays a big factor in how it turns out. If nobody has already said that...

Old 02-18-2018, 11:57 PM
Narddog
Tourer
Received 401 Likes on 129 Posts

Subscribed. There are some great ideas in here. Thanks all!

Old 03-05-2018, 06:18 PM
Narddog
Tourer

Has anyone used the blaze orange plasti dip? I'm working on a project and I'm wondering how closely it resembles a "Harley Davidson orange".

Old 04-20-2018, 12:59 PM
Narddog
Tourer

I plasti-dipped a set of HD pullback risers. For some reason these only come in chrome. I thought this might look better. One day I may take them off to powder coat them, but for now, this looks good.

The following users liked this post:
ABQ-Jammer (07-12-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 06:06 AM
Specialed603
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Looking to do the front fender, tank and rear fender soon. How many cans did it take you guys to put down 4-5 coats on the body???

Old 07-09-2018, 12:58 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 836 Posts

Need to reread this thread but....do they make a 'clear' one can use to simply cover/protect a existing paint?

don't want to 'color' the bike differently. need to dig some but thought I'd throw this up quick.

I called Dip your Car and she quoted all kind of products needed to do this (cleaners, primers etc). Sounded super complicated....but it can't be that hard. I think she was reading a script.

Old 07-09-2018, 01:15 PM
kcfocust
Tourer
Received 90 Likes on 60 Posts

Can I apply Plasti Dip® Glossifier over non-dipped areas?
Glossifier can be sprayed over non-coated areas to add a glossy finish. And it also will peel off afterwards, just like regular Plasti Dip®. However, because Plasti Dip Glossifier is specially formulated to bond with the unique chemical structure of Plasti Dip coatings, it’s not generally recommended for other surfaces.

They also sell one call Sanitizer to make things Satin

The following 2 users liked this post by kcfocust:
ABQ-Jammer (07-09-2018), F150HD (07-09-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 03:23 PM
ABQ-Jammer
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 4,753 Likes on 2,317 Posts

So, is this Plasti-Dip stuff similar in composition to that Flex-Seal stuff; basically a spray-on thin rubberized coating? I'm still thinking about spraying this stuff on my dash, since I get blinded by the chrome almost every day going home, and want to stop that, and if I can add more black to the bike at the same time, I might do the same for other parts, like my chrome crash bar and spotlight housings and risers and maybe backrest bar and fender rails, too. I like my black bike, but I also like a little chrome accents, so I won't totally black it out, but want a little less chrome, and can't afford to buy new black parts for much of the bike.

For those that have already done parts, like the pullback risers, would you also let me know how much it took to do those parts, and how many coats you put on?
Also, how many coats would you suggest for the dash, and how many cans would I need to do that?

Old 07-09-2018, 03:27 PM
kcfocust
Tourer
Received 90 Likes on 60 Posts

1st coat should be a very light coat, maybe 50% coverage
2nd coat should be close to the same as 1st
3rd coat can be a little heavier - should be 100%coverage at this point
4th and 5th coat should be very heavy, wet coats

Make sure to let it dry about 15 to 20 minutes between coats. Also, keeping the can in a jug of hot water helps with the spray

The following 2 users liked this post by kcfocust:
ABQ-Jammer (07-12-2018), F150HD (07-09-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 03:37 PM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

Originally Posted by ABQ-Jammer
So, is this Plasti-Dip stuff similar in composition to that Flex-Seal stuff; basically a spray-on thin rubberized coating? I'm still thinking about spraying this stuff on my dash, since I get blinded by the chrome almost every day going home, and want to stop that, and if I can add more black to the bike at the same time, I might do the same for other parts, like my chrome crash bar and spotlight housings and risers and maybe backrest bar and fender rails, too. I like my black bike, but I also like a little chrome accents, so I won't totally black it out, but want a little less chrome, and can't afford to buy new black parts for much of the bike.

For those that have already done parts, like the pullback risers, would you also let me know how much it took to do those parts, and how many coats you put on?
Also, how many coats would you suggest for the dash, and how many cans would I need to do that?
I doubt it is similar to Flex-seal considering that is designed to be applied as a "bead"; however, yes Plasti-Dip is a thin, spray-on, rubberized coating. Thickness is controlled in the application depending on the number of coat. BTW, the thicker the application, generally the easier the removal.

The following users liked this post:
ABQ-Jammer (07-12-2018)

Quick Reply: The Plasti-Dip Thread