Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wires Dropped Onto Rear Tire

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 03:28 PM
Mr Machinist
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wires Dropped Onto Rear Tire

I bought a 2005 super glide custom about 2 months ago. This bike has just over 3000 miles on it. We had some relatively nice weather today so I decided to go for a quick ride around town. On my way back home I noticed my turn signal started acting funny...then it just completely stopped working, along with my other turn signal. So when I got home, I checked everything else and found nothing was working...after a short walk around the bike I found the rubber tube that holds the wires on the inside of the rear fender fell down onto the tire (the GLUE holding it onto the fender failed), and you can guess what happened after that.

So now I need to replace 3 wires and find a way to reattach everything so this doesn't happen again. Anyone else have this happen? Any good ideas to fix it?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Josh.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:36 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,549 Likes on 3,058 Posts

I own an older bike, but aren't there metal tabs welded along that tube's path to help secure the wiring? ( Or did Harley stop doing that too?)

Anyway, I would think any good epoxy securing new tubing would take care of it permanently.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:52 PM
giantdog
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had the same thing happen on my dyna low rider

Old 04-15-2012, 04:07 PM
Mr Machinist
6th Gear

Giantdog, what did you end up doing to fix it?

Old 04-15-2012, 04:12 PM
ryderbiker
Road Warrior
Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

I ran the wires inside the bracket that goes on the sides of the fender. I pushed them down inside the gap with the fender bolts barely started. Then I drilled two small holes about 2" away from where the wires come out of the front of the fender, ran a zip tie through the holes and secured the wires. I haven't had any issues and you can't see the small holes and zip tie since its under the seat.

Old 04-15-2012, 05:14 PM
joe.1955
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 45 Posts

You can order that rear wiring harness, including the self adhesive rubber "conduit" from HD, it's not very expensive.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:36 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,309 Likes on 2,356 Posts

Use a flaslight and see if your rear tire is rubbing up in the top of the rear fender. If so, you'll need to address that issue prior to installing new wires.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:10 PM
vindyl
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 02 wideglide that was repainted last year and I used FSK tape that is made for duct wraping. You can get it a insulation stores. It will not come off it is made to withstand all types of weather . Mine has been wet many times and it is still tight as hell. It is silver with strings running though it it is expensive but well worth it. If you know someone in the HVAC trade they might be able to help you get some

Old 04-15-2012, 08:27 PM
Just Blaze
Cruiser

Originally Posted by joe.1955
You can order that rear wiring harness, including the self adhesive rubber "conduit" from HD, it's not very expensive.
Joe is correct, it's plug and play with the "sticky" already on the strip, and like he stated relatively inexpensive. The elements just got to it after a while and caused it to fail, but it's an easy fix. It's actualy the only thing I have ever gone to HD to buy and spent less than I was expecting....LOL

Old 04-15-2012, 08:57 PM
Mr Machinist
6th Gear

I think if the original stuff they used only lasted 3000 miles, I'll look for something different. I did just have an idea to use the double sided tape used for attaching door moldings to cars.

Thanks for the help.

Josh

Quick Reply: Wires Dropped Onto Rear Tire